• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems installing flexisign 8.1

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Do you now what the phrase "brainstorming" means? As it looks like you don't. Every experience with installing older software on newer operating systems could help.

Blaming people who are trying to help is a really bad idea on a forumboard like Signs101, creating an atmosphere who people start thinking twice before posting and trying to help because some guys blame suggestions which are not helpful at the end could destroy discussions. Funny that one starts this behaviour who don't even have a solution themselves except things like "cracking a nut with a sledgehammer"-clean installs.

@ josh sayer:

Do you try to install it directly from CD? Could be that there is something corrupt (these CD's are now up to 10 years old). Copy the install files to your hard drive ... if you get an error message, you have your answer. If not, try to run the installer from your hard drive.

Lol, yes I know what brain storming means. I just found it ridiculous that people are just throwing around whatever comes to their head about what a computer problem may be. There are many things that could be causing his problem, but it's not Incompatibility between the program and the OS. Playa suggested that and when the OP said it didn't work, he said try it again... HAHAHA. That's not good technical knowledge or support.

Reinstalling the OS on a system that has working hardware is sometimes MUCH easier then trying to figure out what could be causing this specific error When I was in IT, I would present that option to the client... I told them we can bill them at $110/hr to figure out why there is a specific odd error or just wipe it and start fresh for X dollars. Depends on how determined you are or how much time you have on your hands.

Yes, checking installation media is a good idea... I think I suggested that already :)

WildWestDesigns

Do you try to install it directly from CD? Could be that there is something corrupt (these CD's are now up to 10 years old). Copy the install files to your hard drive ... if you get an error message, you have your answer. If not, try to run the installer from your hard drive.

On this note, as optical drives are getting less and less in OEM computers (atleast in my experience in looking for computers for other people), I would suggest using a disc authoring software and create ISO images of your install discs and store those. Most OSs now treat ISOs as virtual disc drives as it is. I wouldn't use compression software to do this however (Winzip, Winrar, File Roller, Ark etc). Using compression software instead of disc burning software can truncate file names and that would make it unusable, because the installation stub would be looking for the entire name, not a truncated one.

Not necessarily helpful directly with this thread, but something that I thought I would mention. I've had 20 yr old discs that still work, but considering it's harder and harder to get optical drives already installed on computers, at some point, I don't think computers will come with them period. Just something to do while you can if you want to keep legacy software around a little longer.

WildWestDesigns

but it's not Incompatibility between the program and the OS.

That actually depends. Is the OP using 64 bit arch. The earliest Flexi that I'm aware that will work on 64 bit (even though the program itself is 32 bit) is 8.5, not 8.1 like the OP has. I would suspect (but speculating) that the older versions may still need 16 bit libraries which are not in 64 bit OSs (except using Wine on Linux or on Mac).

As to this:

I just found it ridiculous that people are just throwing around whatever comes to their head about what a computer problem may be.

There isn't much in the way of definitive scenarios to work with coming from the OP. If there was, that might help narrow it down. And the OP did ask for "any ideas" of what could be going on.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
That actually depends. Is the OP using 64 bit arch. The earliest Flexi that I'm aware that will work on 64 bit (even though the program itself is 32 bit) is 8.5, not 8.1 like the OP has. I would suspect (but speculating) that the older versions may still need 16 bit libraries which are not in 64 bit OSs (except using Wine on Linux or on Mac).

I'm running it on 64.

Only issue I used to have with 8.1 was with Windows 8 and 8.1, production manager wouldn't run correctly.

WildWestDesigns

Only issue I used to have with 8.1 was with Windows 8 and 8.1, production manager wouldn't run correctly.

Why the issue on Win 8(.1)?

The other thing is that there could be something (like a virus) that is corrupting the registry and preventing things to work properly.

Again, without having more specific details from the OP, it's all guess work until can pin point something to grab on to.

I would save the OS install to the very end, until something is either firmly established or that's the last ditch thing to try. I hate re-installing Windows rigs, at least with Linux I can automate everything with scripts, no so with Windows (maybe with Mac, but my last experience with that in everyday use was in '08, the ole ball and chain has one, but I'm not allowed near it) and it takes forever to get everything done depending on the resources of the machine.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Why the issue on Win 8(.1)?

The other thing is that there could be something (like a virus) that is corrupting the registry and preventing things to work properly.

Again, without having more specific details from the OP, it's all guess work until can pin point something to grab on to.

I would save the OS install to the very end, until something is either firmly established or that's the last ditch thing to try. I hate re-installing Windows rigs, at least with Linux I can automate everything with scripts, no so with Windows (maybe with Mac, but my last experience with that in everyday use was in '08, the ole ball and chain has one, but I'm not allowed near it) and it takes forever to get everything done depending on the resources of the machine.

Production manager wouldn't launch. I wasn't excited about 8 anyway so I just went back to 7 at the time. That OS and me just didn't jive.

player

Just to clarify, I had to try the different settings a number of times and then it worked. There are a bunch of different settings to try, so it may need just the right combination. I think it will come down to the version of Windows he is using.

Why someone would tell I didn't know anything is beyond me, but as I said I have owned Flexi for probably 10 years before he even knew what it was. He said he bought v7.6, where I owned v1.0 and used it for years before when it was Casmate. Thank you Forum Boss. You are the all knowing Sign God Forum Boss.

thezigman

Sign maker near Chicago
Defrag your hard drive.
Run a registry cleaner
then re install Flexi.

Its an internal memory issue. Usually caused by fragmented hard disks, viruses, or just a corrupted dll file or bad install.

WildWestDesigns

Defrag your hard drive.
Run a registry cleaner
then re install Flexi.

Its an internal memory issue. Usually caused by fragmented hard disks, viruses, or just a corrupted dll file or bad install.

If it's an SSD, you actually don't want to defrag the HD. That causes unnecessary writes to the disc, thus shortening it's life span. Plus fragmentation isn't actually an issue on SSDs like on mechanical drives.

This only applies if the HD is an SSD.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
If it's an SSD, you actually don't want to defrag the HD. That causes unnecessary writes to the disc, thus shortening it's life span. Plus fragmentation isn't actually an issue on SSDs like on mechanical drives.

This only applies if the HD is an SSD.

I'd say there is a slim chance it's an SSD if he is running windows 7. Not that they didn't exist, but it would seem unlikely.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I just don't get trying to use an old, old version in the first place, especially if you are an actual shop. Maybe being an individual just needing to cut a few decals now and then. My opinion would be pony up and get AT LEAST 10.5 if not newer. I don't think that version has any support anymore anyway.

WildWestDesigns

I'd say there is a slim chance it's an SSD if he is running windows 7. Not that they didn't exist, but it would seem unlikely.

That's why I said "if". While my 2 Win 7 laptops had SSDs from the OEM, not all did as you pointed out. Swapping out HDs in laptops is also a possibility. One of the most common upgrades that people talk about for desktops and laptops is going to an SSD (even on here).

RG

I have for years successfully run v8.1 on Windows XP, Windows 7 32bit, and Windows 7 64bit. It has been a few years since I installed in on Windows 7 64bit, but I think that I remember that the only way I got it to work was to install it on the root directory (C) and not in the Programs folder. I'm not sure why, but it did make a difference.

josh sayer

Hi everyone apologies I have been away and not had my laptop with me. Thank you all for your help and replies. All much appriciated. I have tried most of the suggestions or at least the ones I understand. I am not great with computers and some suggestions I don’t quite understand.
When I brought my cutter and computer second hand it already had flexi sign installed and came with a backup of flexi sign on a memory stick. One day I turned on the computer and it said hard drive not found. So I decided to buy a second hand laptop and try to install flexi sign on it from the memory stick this is where I have had problems. I am thinking the copy on the memory stick may be the issue.
Many thanks
Josh

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Thanks for the update. Yes, bad installation media could cause that. You may be able to find it online, but keep in mind you'll still need the key to run it.

WildWestDesigns

This is not true

No, that is true for "official" support for 8.1, it isn't supported above XP. Even 8.5 is "officially" limited to Vista 32 bit.

Now, is it still possible to run these are newer Windows OSs? Probably as Windows does tend to keep a lot of legacy bloat from one version to the next, but it isn't a sure thing and there may need to be some tweaks done to get it to work on the newer OS. 8.6 is actually when "officially" Win 7 support was added. Now since 7 is a more refined Vista, even though 7 wasn't officially supported in 8.5, I would be willing to bet that it was a helluva lot easier to get a Vista supported program on 7 then an XP supported program on 7 (which goes into why MS offered free XP VMs for those that were running Win 7 Pro or higher). There was a major re-write of Windows between XP and Vista which goes into that.