Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by geb, Jul 3, 2007.

1. geb

geb Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Adirondacks
    I recently upgraded some things on my computer, service pack 2 was one, and then there were several critical windows updates kept popping up, so I updated all those. Now, of course, I'm having some problems.

I sometimes receive emails with .pdf files from persons I trust, I now can't open these, I get a message your current security settings do not allow the downloading of this file. I'm running outlook 6 for internet and email, and know there are other options available, but I'm not comfortable switching because I don't know the computer and everything about it that well, which is why it took me so long to upgrade service packs.

If anyone could tell me where I can find the proper security settings to allow downloading of these .pdf files, I would be grateful for the help.

Thanks for the help,

George

Tags:
  2. Rod

Rod Member

Apr 11, 2006
    In Outlook Express.
    1. Go Tools menu >> Options.
    2. Click the Security tab.
    3. Remove tick from checkbox "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus."

To check overall Windows security settings for the Internet:
    • Go Windows Start Menu >> Control Panel >> Security Center >> Internet Options

3. geb

geb Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Adirondacks
    That did it, thanks Rod.

On the other, Internet options, Mine is set to custom, not sure what that means though.

Thanks for the help.

George

4. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    why man...why oh why....

are you not using Mozilla Thunderbird?

5. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    why, with al the negative publicity about certain products..
    do people put up with it when there are soem very good alternatives around..
    Such as the FREE Mozilla based products.

6. geb

geb Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Adirondacks
    I explained in post #1 I'm not real good on the computer when it comes to fixing things. I'm leary of switching because of the unknown, if something goes wrong with the switch. But, maybe I will try this weekend. Is this something someone with my computer ability, minimal, be able to undertake?

Thanks,

George

7. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
  8. geb

geb Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Adirondacks
    We'll give it a try this weekend, Thanks for the links Shovel.

George

9. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    GEB backup, backup...backup before you install anything new! You shouldn't need it but just incase!

10. geb

geb Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Adirondacks
    I've backed up signlab and all my jobs, and plan on the fonts also beforehand. Will this be enough?

Thanks,

George