• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PS shape burst in Illustrator

JLD984

Hi all, Does anybody know a way to do a shape burst outline in Illustrator? It looks so effective in Photoshop but the only way I can do anything similar in Illustrator is outer glow, which isn't that great and usually needs doing twice. Any help appreciated.

iSign

I'm not sure what the term means even, but I know what an outer glow looks like... and it usually doesn't look like a vector, so what's the significance of specifying illustrator, if you like the effect in photoshop? Is it because you are asking for a vector, or is it that you don't have photoshop? ...if you want a vector, can you show an example because the way a glow fades out seems incongruous

TammieH

Try "ROUGHEN" under "Effects", "Distort and Transform"

Duplicate your art/copy, add outline, then apply effect, remember to Expand Appearance, there is also "Zig Zag" under Distort and Transform as well as "Scribble" under "Stylize" you will have to play with each to see if you can get your desired effect or close to what you want. Then apply Inner Glow to soften

JLD984

Trying to find something I've done in the past but it has been a long time. Shape burst allows you to do an outline/stroke and have a gradient so it fades from one colour to another or one colour to transparent, from the inside to the outside of the outline/stroke. Outer glow is similar to this but isn't strong enough and when applying a second outer glow effect it's very hard to get it right, plus it slows everything down. I never use Photoshop these days and this is really the only thing I can't do in Illustrator. Thanks Tammie, I often use those effects but none of them are similar to shape burst really. The scribble effect is a beauty, I use it for all different things.

rdm01

Take shape, outline it to desired ending point, change color and opacity to desired ending point. Go to path>blend>blend options and change it to specified steps and then specify how many steps you want (sample attached is 20). Select the two shapes and perform a blend.

Attachments

• burst.jpg
    burst.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 89

Vinylman

VARIATION on theme

Here is a different iteration of the tute above.

I started with an oval. [fill with your choice of color]
Then created a star.[fill with your choice of color]
Moved star to rear.
Centered both items.
Went to blend mode [ under OBJECT MENU], blend options. Set these to your personal settings.
Select BOTH objects.go to OBJECT MENU, scroll down to "BLEND".

As an after thought I decided to see what else I could do!

I DOUBLE CLICKED on the finished art work, and then I was able to move the original OVAL shape anywhere over the star, and the effect followed and made some interesting NEW EFFECTS.

I then selected the original oval, and began experimenting with changing it from an oval to a circle by moving the "handles" on the perimeter of the shape.

This is the result.

Go HAVE SOME FUN!

Attachments

• Starburst.gif
    Starburst.gif
    77.8 KB · Views: 93