• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

QR Codes - deciphering to vector

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
we live trace them. Works great.

HOLY COW! Finally back to the original reason for the post.. What happens when you get something like this? Live trace will not do the trick

I picked this at random since it is what I typically get as art

Attachments

• qr-code.gif
    qr-code.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 92

HulkSmash

HOLY COW! Finally back to the original reason for the post.. What happens when you get something like this? Live trace will not do the trick

on certain generator websites you can choose large image. but LT worked for me on that one. Typically how big do you need them?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I don't know. Customers expect from me a file with nice crisp corners. A live trace will not provide acceptable results for most of my customers when the original is that small

Locals Find!

Simple if you understand what you just said! I'm not familar with Google Analytics but I get the basic idea of what you're saying, could you be a little more detailed on what you mean by "Make a campaign for each QR code..."

Sorry for getting back to you so late. What I meant by campaign for each code is simple.

I made a set of postcards recently that I was running some product specials on. I then made a very simple mobile friendly webpage listing with some even better pricing on the same products on special. The only way someone could get that even better pricing was by scanning the QR Code. The webpage I made wasn't linked anywhere off my main website so it was totally accessible only by the QR Code directed to it.

Now I also did some signs for another campaign on real estate signs. I did the same thing again with a 10% off coupon on your order on the webpage instead. Again only accessible from the QR Code.

I was able to track using both the number of people who called or emailed for special pricing and the coupon & the google analytics which is free by the way and was easy to setup on the website following the instructions google gave me.

:thread
Hope that explains it didn't, mean to pirate this thread. Figured you deserved an explanation though.

joshjackson

Hi Eric. I've been following the discussion, and I need to understand something: Why does it matter what the QR Code looks like? Let me explain. If you scan the QR Code to find out what page it takes you to, then enter that information into a QR Code generator, you'll definitely get a different QR Code. So if the new code takes the customer to the same page, why does it matter if the shape of the code is different from the original?

Incidentally, I posted your question (anonymously) on a graphic design/social media forum that I'm a part of. Maybe someone there can also offer some good insight.

omgsideburns

Since they are blocky like that, try upsizing it in photoshop as nearest neighbor.. it will maintain the hard edges.. then perhaps the livetrace will work better

Rodi

I have made QR barcodes, they are saved as 300 dpi png files. I then save them as bitmapped tiffs (1200 dpi) and import into illustrator and live trace, never a problem.

You could reverse engineer them, QR scan them, then add the info in (business card, Website, Contact, etc) and do what I always do. Free too!

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Hi Eric. I've been following the discussion, and I need to understand something: Why does it matter what the QR Code looks like? Let me explain. If you scan the QR Code to find out what page it takes you to, then enter that information into a QR Code generator, you'll definitely get a different QR Code. So if the new code takes the customer to the same page, why does it matter if the shape of the code is different from the original?

Incidentally, I posted your question (anonymously) on a graphic design/social media forum that I'm a part of. Maybe someone there can also offer some good insight.

My customers are sometimes supplying the art given to them by the customer. I believe they are expecting the exact same QR code back from me. I don't want to have to go back and forth convincing them that a new code will do the same thing. If I keep arguing that it is, they may go elsewhere. They don't care about the details, they want the code they supplied to me. And as others are saying, some codes have other info built into them

I have determined that it is not feasible and will continue drawing them by hand. Not a big deal now as I don't do too many but that may change

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working

You're trying to reinvent the wheel.

If you have a QR code, use it go get to the desired web link, and then just drop that information into a QR code generator. Some generators are capable of outputting .pdf or .eps files...yes, they actually give you those options and it works great.

I checked the files in Illustrator and they are 100% vectors...no crap, or layers, just clean, cuttable lines.

JB

Bill43mx

James,
Eric isn't trying "reinvent the wheel", he has a unique situation. Most of us can do exactly as you suggested, because all that ultimately matters to most of us is that the QR code, regardless of what it looks like, gets the user (who ever scans it) where we want them to end up. Eric, however, offers as a service the conversion from bitmap to vector images. His problem is that when certain clients send him a bitmap QR code they don't want him to give them a vector QR code that works ....they want a vector of the exact bitmap QR code they sent to him. Since what the code "looks like" is dependent on the software used to create, and several very different looking codes can all give you the same end result, your suggestion won't work for him.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
You're trying to reinvent the wheel.

If you have a QR code, use it go get to the desired web link, and then just drop that information into a QR code generator. Some generators are capable of outputting .pdf or .eps files...yes, they actually give you those options and it works great.

I checked the files in Illustrator and they are 100% vectors...no crap, or layers, just clean, cuttable lines.

JB

EVERYONE SEEMS TO BE CONFUSED

Reread all of my posts. this was stated in post #1

I took an existing QR Code from a customer that they want as a vector. They are sending me a raster file. Instead of tracing the dozens (or more) of boxes, I want to go to a QR generator site to produce a vector ready file in a few seconds

We have already determined that a QR reader will tell you what info is in the QR.

So I went to 2 DIFFERENT QR code generating sites and have received 2 different codes and both codes were different than the one I started with!! AFAIK I could go to a 3rd or 4th site and get even different results. It was later confirmed by other memebers here that different generators produce different QR codes. So even though they may read the same, they dont LOOK the same.

I DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE THE CODE REGARDLESS THAT IT READS THE SAME ON THE CODE READER. MY CUSTOMER WANTS THE CODE TO LOOK LIKE IT DID WHEN THEY SENT IT TO ME

Remember, maybe there is a very good reason that their code looks this way. Maybe it tracks more info and gets sent to some other database

I don't care about why it looks the way it does.... I was just hoping that I could just simply punch in the same data into a QR code generator AND GET THE EXACT SAME LOOKING CODE.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
James,
Eric isn't trying "reinvent the wheel", he has a unique situation. Most of us can do exactly as you suggested, because all that ultimately matters to most of us is that the QR code, regardless of what it looks like, gets the user (who ever scans it) where we want them to end up. Eric, however, offers as a service the conversion from bitmap to vector images. His problem is that when certain clients send him a bitmap QR code they don't want him to give them a vector QR code that works ....they want a vector of the exact bitmap QR code they sent to him. Since what the code "looks like" is dependent on the software used to create, and several very different looking codes can all give you the same end result, your suggestion won't work for him.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, someone finally gets it ))))))))))))))))))) (homage to OP)))))

Bill43mx

I'm not confused. *LOL* I think that ^^^^^^^is what I just said.:smile:

Oops....slow typing and now I just look silly! *LOL*:doh:

GB2

Old Member
So now that we've determined that what you want to do is impossible....can I get back to stealing your thread with talk of tracking QR codes?

JK......sorry!

Locals Find!

Not to put down your business in anyway Doc, but why would anyone need a QR Code Vectorized? I don't understand the thinking behind it. They are a pain in the a$$ to weed if your using a plotter. I know from experience. Even printing on t-shirts their is no need to have them as vector to make screens. I just don't get it.

Bill43mx

One reason could be to keep the quality when scaling them up. We recently did a trailer wrap with one included in the design. IIRC it was about a foot square. You can image what that would have looked like if it started out at an inch square and 72 dpi.

Locals Find!

One reason could be to keep the quality when scaling them up. We recently did a trailer wrap with one included in the design. IIRC it was about a foot square. You can image what that would have looked like if it started out at an inch square and 72 dpi.

72dpi I could see. I guess I never generated a qr code that small. I am probably guilty of just assuming everyone generates them at 300 + dpi. Makes sense thinking about it the way you stated.