• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

QR Codes - deciphering to vector

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
There are sites that will let you input info and get a QR Code but I am wondering if there is a way to take an existing jpeg image of a QR Code and decipher what data was input to produce the code?

In other words.... let's say someone gives me a QR code image that is small and I need to recreate it. Sure it is nothing more than boxes but it can be time consuming and am looking for a easier way to save the customer money

So how do you know what is in the QR Code so that you can then go back in, fill in the correct info at a QR Code generator to get the eps/svg file ready to go?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
thanks but I want the opposite. I am given a QR Code already. I know how to create the code but if given the code, how do you know what was used to input the code so you can RECREATE it to match

I am being sent jpegs of already created codes

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
scan it with a code scanner on a smartphone. I use redlaser for iPhone, it will tell you what information is included in the qr code.

I just tried a test file with redlaser. I already have the app. I thought it was only for the old line barcodes

Thank you. Now i will have to try it with a real world qr code

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Hmm, Malkin might be right. I googled a random QR Code that was a jpeg. I then used redlaser to scan in the code. It gave me the meaning of the code. So I went to the QR Code generator software that I have used and OMGsideburns suggested and punched in the same info and the code comes out different. There are obviously some variables involved here that I am unaware of

Techman

Using a website generated QR code is not so good. They install some of their own data. They use it to track the QR code usage. Often it directs your site data to them first then back out to you. Right now most are FREE. But later the model will bring a FEE to access your QR code data.

Use your own software to generate your QR codes. Avoid websites that generate codes.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Using a website generated QR code is not so good. They install some of their own data. They use it to track the QR code usage. Often it directs your site data to them first then back out to you. Right now most are FREE. But later the model will bring a FEE to access your QR code data.

Use your own software to generate your QR codes. Avoid websites that generate codes.

My own software? This sounds like a futile problem. So QR codes are not standardized?

I would think that 90% of the people that produce QR codes are using web based software

Techman

If you are using a qr capable phone...you can get or already have a phone app that makes the qr codes. QR codes are standard. Like I posted. Some FREE qr code sites are adding their own data for tracking purposes.

If 90% are getting them from a FREE website then many of them are getting codes with extra tracking data in them.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Therein lies the problem. I don't know if the qr code given to me has anything extra added to it. I am not trying to create the code for the first time but rather, trying to make the codes match in a usable format

Techman

in case it was missed.. The first link has this.
Also I plan to add tracking and an API to access it from external sites.

The second site also has this.
QR Code tracking feature is currently in Beta testing!
Take a look how people are using QR Codes with mobile marketing

Codes generated from those sites will be different because they are adding different data points.
They will not generate your own unique QR codes.

iSign

Just like those ambiguous details on an illustration you vectorize... If you are reasonably confident the result is acceptable, even if you vectorized some fuzzy pixels into incoherent vectors out on the fringes... You don't then say "here is your perfect match"... You say "this is the best I can do" ...& they love it... So, I think if a code takes your phone to vectordoctor.com and you can make a new code that does the same... you should find most clients to settle for that... IF they have additional tracking info in there, then they should know about it... (& may need to ask their clients)

It is an interesting question for sure... I'm just suggesting that for most clients, the scan results page would be all that needs to match... Just a guess