• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

QR Codes - deciphering to vector

jfiscus

Rap Master
I just talked to a local social media promoter & that additional info is IMPORTANT:

Just taking the end user to the intended website is not all there is to this QR business... The whole goal is to get more info to the customer, but since the whole concept of social media is new to most people (especially business owners); QR codes are not normally generated by them theirselves.

Social Media / Advertising Companies are creating these QR codes for the companies as a new way to market their company. And the Social Media companies are adding THEIR tracking info into these codes you are receiving. They can then give the customer a report of how many people are using the QR codes so that the customer sees if there is value in using them or not.

This is kind of like viewing the Web Traffic Report on your website; it tells them who is coming through that "portal" and when/where they are are doing it.

I have to make one today; so I called the company who created it & asked the questions posed above.

Locals Find!

QR codes are standardized in a way. You have different levels of auto correction programmed into each code. A low level correction requires 90% of the code be able to be read by the reader (phone or handheld scanner) a high level correction would make it where only 40% of the code would have to be able to be read by the scanner.

So if you have a QR code on a shipping box that gets scratched in transit it can still be identified.

If you use http://keremerkan.net/qr-code-and-2d-code-generator/ as suggest before their is no info buried in the code. Some websites out there as mentioned bury illegal info in the codes routing you through their servers.

Denso Wave the Japanse company that owns the Copyright on QR Codes doesn't actually allow this but, they have chosen not to enforce it as of the last few years. Given the growth though. I wouldn't be to surprised to see them come out swinging when its worth the time to chase after people for some big bucks.

Hope this helps. If you need more information on QR codes let me know I have been using them for quite a while now. I have become an expert on them. Not that its making me any money. More of a hobby.

iSign

If you need more information on QR codes let me know I have been using them for quite a while now. I have become an expert on them. Not that its making me any money. More of a hobby.

we need more.

Please start a thread & give us whatever you got..

personally, I think the ability for a sign shop to provide this is a great novelty... and I also believe it is an exceptional tool, but I think it will get more use in print media.. but then again, a lot of us do quite a bit of print work (meaning non sign work) ...anyway, although I don't know how much I might do with it, I would be quite curious to know more on the topic, including how to access the statistical data, how to write a code that brings that data to me, for me to provide to my client (so I can then sell more codes, based on proven stats regarding the success of their use... and yes, I noticed you said this is restricted under the patent, but I'm still interested)

Locals Find!

Would be glad to Doug. I don't' have time to do it right now. Just popped on to clear my head. However, this evening I will be happy too. Right after I pay for my premium membership again.

phototec

we need more.

Please start a thread & give us whatever you got..

personally, I think the ability for a sign shop to provide this is a great novelty... and I also believe it is an exceptional tool, but I think it will get more use in print media.. but then again, a lot of us do quite a bit of print work (meaning non sign work) ...anyway, although I don't know how much I might do with it, I would be quite curious to know more on the topic, including how to access the statistical data, how to write a code that brings that data to me, for me to provide to my client (so I can then sell more codes, based on proven stats regarding the success of their use... and yes, I noticed you said this is restricted under the patent, but I'm still interested)

I have already seen one banner with a QR code in the lower corner and a 4'x8' sign on some land for sale with a QR code. I don't know much about them, however it seams that you can take a photo of the QR code with your smart phone, and then you can retrieve all the data into your phone?

This could become a standard for some signage, one click and you have all the info from the sign in your phone?

:help

J Hill Designs

yeah and along with that, it will know that you saw the sign on the corner of 1st and main...letting ppl know which signs where are giving the best exposure...

jfiscus

Rap Master
Putting the ones we're making here on a fleet; so that people can click through to special promos that are offered through that special link.

phototec

yeah and along with that, it will know that you saw the sign on the corner of 1st and main...letting ppl know which signs where are giving the best exposure...

Wow, this could be a selling point to your sign customers, offer to generate and print the QR code on a sign and then they can track exposure.

I need to look into this, could add future revenue!

:goodpost:

Techman

I been using them for a while.
I place them in all print media.
I have one client who has it on the side of his van.
I plan to start using mine on clients print ads too.

Custom_Grafx

It's a good idea for charities too. "Scan this to donate" at a bus stop for example.

They have been popping up at bus shelters in Sydney recently - so far have seen them for bank ads.

saktrnch

It's a good idea for charities too. "Scan this to donate" at a bus stop for example.

Here's one that I've been using for a foundation. It takes you to a paypal page to make a $5.00 donation.

Attachments

• 5.00-donation.jpg
    5.00-donation.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 106

joshjackson

Hi everybody. We've recently begun using QR Codes in our marketing campaign at Oracal. If you attended ISA, you probably saw them all around our booth. I also created some floor graphics that had a giant QR Code in the center.

There are all sorts of resources on the web these days to get more information. One I'd like to share with you is Mashable: www.mashable.com

Also, for those of you who use FireFox, there is a nice little add-on called QRLink Maker. Basically, you go to the web page you want the QR Code to point to, right click, select "generate QR Code" from the menu, and you're good to go.

Locals Find!

Their are a couple of easy ways to track a QR Code. The easiest being by directing the QR Code to a particular page on your web server.

For example www.yoursite.com/signs.html then using that code only on 1 marketing piece. You can then use google analytics to track the traffic.

You can write your own analytic scripts to track location etc.. however, to my knowledge most of those require java scripting which wont' work on all phones that may be scanning the code.

A big mistake most people make with QR codes is to not Mobile Optimize the web page that your using the code to send traffic too. Just because most phones can zoom and retract to make pages viewable its a PITA and most users won't deal with it if they don't have too. I know I hate going to normal sites on my phone unless I absolutely have to have some info off that site like a phone number or address.

Check out my other thread for a Free QR Code Generator for your website. I posted up the HTML code for free so you can embed one in your own site. Lots of background info on QR Codes also.

phototec

How can you read the QR symbol on your PC?

In other words, I see them on the web or there are printed in trade magazine, if you don't have a smart phone, can you scan the QR code with a scanner hooked up to your PC and use what software to read the code?

Locals Find!

How can you read the QR symbol on your PC?

In other words, I see them on the web or there are printed in trade magazine, if you don't have a smart phone, can you scan the QR code with a scanner hooked up to your PC and use what software to read the code?

Their are scanners available on the market for commercial applications. I am not sure about the PC scanning they really weren't designed for this purpose. However, checkout the link in the free QR Code Generator thread. I put the link to the Creators website. You can navigate through their to see about options for scanning devices.

signswi

No need to reinvent the wheel just use Google Analytics, which you should be running on your web properties already anyway. Make a campaign for each QR code and track that way or however you want to do it. Simple.

GB2

Old Member
Simple if you understand what you just said! I'm not familar with Google Analytics but I get the basic idea of what you're saying, could you be a little more detailed on what you mean by "Make a campaign for each QR code..."