• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quality Signs Logo

qualitysign

Hey Guys and Gals,

New to signs101. Thought I would post our new logo I designed for you to take a look at.

thanks! :)

Attachments

• qualitysignsfinal.jpg
    qualitysignsfinal.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 94

Jillbeans

I can't enlarge it but from what I can see, it has a script on a curve, which I have been told is not the right thing to do.
And when using a prismatic lettering, always consider your light source.
Yours appears to be coming from underneath the lettering, which to me is a bit odd.
I would switch out the colors and make the dark one lighter or the light one darker, more subtle.
I think you put the yellow outline onto the prismatic to make it pop but the entire logo lacks contrast to me.
Putting the lettering on the oval is OK but it may have been better if all the lettering fit inside the oval. (like for embroidery purposes etc)
And I usually don't put the phone number in the logo.
Hey you asked.
Welcome to 101 and my comments are meant to be helpful not hurtful.
Love.....Jill
PS
This next comment is not directed at you but merely an observation.
I was out in traffic the other day and noticed a new 4'x8' sign. You could not read the logo at all. It was a bunch of various green things on a light yellow background. Really weak roman style lettering on the name, about 1.5" high. The service (Landscaping) was about 2" high, same weak thin font. Lettering color was baby poop brown.
But the phone number, honest to God, was the entire length of the bottom of the sign and at least a foot high, really squished, in black.
:)

neato

The layout itself isn't bad at all. A couple things....

1. A phone number should never be a part of a logo.
2. The script font for the phone number isn't working.
3. The logo doesn't pass the squint test. You're color choices aren't contrasting enough. Try putting a white outline around the word signs to make it pop off the background, or better yet, lighten the word 'Signs' drastically to give some contrast.
4. It seems like the 'S' on the right side is distorted. It's a little distracting. It seems more squished than the left 'S'.

As far as the script on a curve thing, I agree with Jill 99.99% of the time, but not on that point. I think in general you have to be careful with it as it can go sour if it's overdone. But I think you did a great job of fitting the script to this curve. It's not distracting at all and gives the word some 'bounce'.

I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here, since you didn't ask for a critique. It really isn't a bad layout, just needs some tweaks

Mosh

•Script in an arc (Big NO NO, beginner's design mistake)
•poor colors (hard to read)
•10,000 places called quailty signs (one is 45 miles from me here in nebraska)
•Like the oval

Are you new to making signs? The design looks like it is from someone who just got them one
of those "sticker cutters" and is now a sign making shop.

Last edited:

Flame

* take off phone number

* oval is way overdone

* name is even more overdone

* prism lettering... wrong light source, poor colors, no real impact

* script on an arch, no bueno

* horrible colors. They don't flow together, it's really hard to read.

No offense, but you'd probably be better off to start from scratch, try some fresh ideas and see where they take you.

Marlene

all of the above plus I can't see it larger, please make sure your file is an RGB as that is more than likely the reason for the red X.

your name is what it is but it needs a logo to back up that name. when you give yourself a lofty name like "Quality" the logo needs to support that image and I don't think beveled letters on an arc on an oval does that. If I was a potential customer and saw your name, I would expect the logo to reflect that and when it doesn't, I wouldn't call. not being mean, just giving you something to think about as it is hard to design for yourself and what seems so clear to others is often missed.

signgal

The colors hurt my eyes... and that doesn't have a light source, Jill. It's MR Chisel Five, I believe. It's probably best to leave it straight. But you got the best giving you advice, OP... listen to them!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Script on an arc? Generally copy in script is not done in an arc but one notable exception to this is a casual descriptor or superlative. Often but not necessarily a single word. Words like 'Special', 'Quality', 'Contact', 'Available', 'Coming Soon', etc are often done as a splash on a curve. This is one of those rare times where sign writing can depart from traditional typographical guidelines and get away with it.

In this specific case 'Quality' can be properly rendered on a curve. The rest of the thing is amateurish dreck but that element isn't at fault.

neato

Again, script on an arch can work just fine if it's not overdone. Personally, I think it adds a nice bounce to the word. Here's just a few of the many examples of it used, although not all of these are great.

Take a look at food packaging next time your in a grocery store. It's done all the time and can look very nice.

Caution is needed though. It can look very funky very fast if you overdo it...

Attachments

• script.gif
    script.gif
    162.3 KB · Views: 132

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding forum and people

the layout is not bad .. but can improve
I would try ..remove phone 1st....then increase the size of .. signs & quality so they both go outside the oval a bit

color contrast is poor

signmeup

* take off phone number

* oval is way overdone

* name is even more overdone

* prism lettering... wrong light source, poor colors, no real impact

* script on an arch, no bueno

* horrible colors. They don't flow together, it's really hard to read.

No offense, but you'd probably be better off to start from scratch, try some fresh ideas and see where they take you.
Dude..... what are you on? Next the square will be passe along with the circle....and rectangles?! Wayyyyy overdone! :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I like ovals and circles...

What I want to know is, what's up with the drive by posting?
Hi! My first post! Not gonna tell you about myself... Look at my logo! Bye!

neato

You know, that's a good point. In fact, I think the letter 'T' is way overdone too. In fac, I'm no gonna use i anymore. I's sooooo yeserday.

Flame

Dude..... what are you on? Next the square will be passe along with the circle....and rectangles?! Wayyyyy overdone! :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

You know HOW MANY CONTRACTORS here have an oval with a pinstripe around it? That exact oval he has shown there, portrays like 25% of ALL my customers. I am so, so so sick of the oval with a pinstripe. Just like the swoosh being over done in some parts, for me, it's the oval with a stripe. Give me a freaking circle and I'll be happy, just them durn ovals..... lol.