• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about finishing BANNERS...

Tony Rome

I was wondering if there is another alternative to finishing banners.
Right now I use double stick tape, but I do not like the wrinkles that get in there when you roll it up. I know I can pay someone to hem it, but that is too pricey, is there an option I am missing, or am I doing something wrong?
I actually thought about learning to hem them myself, but who has time to learn one more thing, have one more piece of equipment, unless of course somebody brilliant made some type of easy to use portable (hand held) miracle machine, lol.
Thanks in advance!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Step up from tape is HH66 vinyl cement.
It takes a little practice to get down but once you do it is as fast or faster than tape and the bond is much stronger over time.
Cost less than tape when you buy the larger containers.
Nice flat cemented joint won't pucker and tunnel the way tape does.
Getting a sewing machine is the next step up from glue.
We just got one last year and it has been pretty easy to get up to speed for simple hemming on banners.
Sailrite has a nice machine that works well as a starter machine for a shop without too much volume. We paid for ours with the first banner order we didn't have to send out to be finished. It is portable but not hand held unless you have some pretty big hands.

We still use tape for temp banners that will only be up for a weekend or so.

wayne k
guam usa

mudmedia

Honestly...I dont really understand when people say its to pricey to sew banners...I havent seen anyone more expensive then $2 a linear foot and that is pretty much the high end cost that I have seen...So you have a 10 ft banner you pay 20 bucks for it to be sewn (at max) you sale it for whatever your mark up and banner material is probably the cheapest material printable but yet its to expensive? When you take your tape cost, your time to tape them plus quality and durability is at a slight loss (Not saying taping is bad or not durable) ... I always sew ours and think it is preferred over taping..But not everyone has people who can sew near by so I understand. If you can get em sewn definitely do it you will be happy with it for sure...

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I just got an awesome 4' x 7' digitally printed banner from a MM here on the forum and it looks as though they welded their seams.

The edges are razor crisp and the seams are absolutely flat as a board...allowing the banner to roll up without any bunching. And to top it off, the sides are absolutely "dead-nuts" parallel with the text I had placed right next to the edge.

Some of the text is actually in the welded area of the seam, but they did such a great job with the hemming that you don't even notice it. I've never put a banner together before, but I can sure recognize a work of art when I see it.

View the vendor shout out thread to see who it was.

JB

signage

I just got an awesome 4' x 7' digitally printed banner from a MM here on the forum and it looks as though they welded their seams.

The edges are razor crisp and the seams are absolutely flat as a board...allowing the banner to roll up without any bunching. And to top it off, the sides are absolutely "dead-nuts" parallel with the text I had placed right next to the edge.

Some of the text is actually in the welded area of the seam, but they did such a great job with the hemming that you don't even notice it. I've never put a banner together before, but I can sure recognize a work of art when I see it.

View the vendor shout out thread to see who it was.

JB
I looked but did not see unless it was from a few days ago! :help

rfulford

Keep an eye on craigslist for used industrial sewing machines. Old does not matter since these things are built like tanks and often still have parts available. I have listed a few good brands below.

Singer
Juki
Union Special
Consew

Other brands may also be worth looking at. Find a sewing machine repair tech in your area to run ideas by.

carter75

Step up from tape is HH66 vinyl cement.

I am going to have to try this stuff. Where do you get yours from? I have always hated the wrinkles in the hems from rolling the banner when I have used the tape.

We sub out our sewn banners for outdoor use but tape everything that goes inside. Definitely going to purchase some HH-66 to experiment with.

Tony Rome

Well, I did not know about the cement, I will look into that.
Question, for those who sell banners on the regular, a customer comes in for a 3' x 6' do you offer options on how to finish?
I have always just taped it and the only time I would pay someone to sew it is if the customer asked.
I never had anyone complain BUT when I see some of my edges get those wrinkles I personally am not happy, so this is more of a me trying to be proactive thing.

TXFB.INS

I think it was obvious that does not have anything to do with what I was looking for, but nice plug.
:clapping:

since I have no connection to this company and only use this product upon request from the customers there is no plug for me

you said
Right now I use double stick tape, but I do not like the wrinkles that get in there when you roll it up.

merely going off what was listed

Tony Rome

since I have no connection to this company and only use this product upon request from the customers there is no plug for me

you said

merely going off what was listed
Well I don't know if you have any connections are not, just looked like you were promoting it, which I really don't care, just poking fun, but I still don't see how that had anything to do with my post, my issue is the wrinkles the tape leaves all along the finished sides, nothing about it rolling up or the corners, but thanks for trying to help.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I am going to have to try this stuff. Where do you get yours from? I have always hated the wrinkles in the hems from rolling the banner when I have used the tape.

We sub out our sewn banners for outdoor use but tape everything that goes inside. Definitely going to purchase some HH-66 to experiment with.

I get mine locally from a marine supply store. It should be available at the big hardware stores like Home Depot.

wayne k
guam usa

sfr table hockey

I get mine locally from a marine supply store. It should be available at the big hardware stores like Home Depot.

wayne k
guam usa

Thanks Wayne,
I will need to look into that as well.

Does it react like contact cement where once dry you touch the two sides together or do you have to do it before it dries?

Does it smell as bad as contact cement?