• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about Flexi and Signlab

wcso35

Hey Everyone,

Quick question, I searched through the message boards and was not able to find a answer to my question.

I am currently using Signlab e6. Everything we have done for years has been on Signlab. I am thinking about getting Flexi. Does anyone know if Flexi can open Signlab files (.cdl). Or do I have to export all of the old files to a different format, If so what format would I have to export to, and how well does it keep the original file. Kinda questioning if I should switch or not.

wcso35

VinylCraft,
I understand that, but my problem is Signlab e6 is so out of date that I can not do alot of things in it I would like to. I'm telling you, Signlab e6 is about like working with a dinosaur. So I will have to spend money either way, Upgrade Signlab or go with Flexi. The only reason I am considering Flexi is we are buying a new printer and Flexi comes with it.
Any thoughts on what I should do

geb

I would stay with Signlab. They have a good software and support system, plus you would be paying the same amount for Flexi is my guess.

Edited after seeing your post: Stay with signlab, upgrade to ver. 8. Some here have it and sound very happy with it.

George

signage

I would go to the link for Signlab and download the Demo! I would also serch the Forums about Flexi problems. If you know Signlab it would be easier to continue to use it rather than learn Flexi! JM.02c

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I have told this to people through the years. Get used to saving an extra final output file to .eps and/or .ai. It saves time if you switch programs or it can save your butt if your dongle goes out or your sign software is no longer supported.

By the way, if Signab is working for you upgrade and stick with it or get used to designing in Illy or Corel and import to Signlab for final output.

Mad Mike Signs

have e6 Sign Lab and Flexi 8.1

I have e6 Signlab and Flexi 8.1 both...

NOPE can't open directly.

I open the file in sign lab and export as an ai format....cut and paste between the two works to some level but will whack the proportional size if it brings the object over via paste.

trouble I have is e6 has a security bug that did not make nice with XP service pack 2 (SP2) so I had to leave it on SP1 machine to do design. I installed it on the new machine with Flexi and it opens files fine just whacks text if you try to create with it.

Signlab makes a product called shortcut that is about 3-400 bucks that allows you to open existing files but not do any editing which I considered buying to sell my full blown SIgnlab software when I sold my old cutter...did not do it and glad I did not.

I find the need to use e6 to do some stuff as I thin kit does a better faster job than Flexi but Flexi has some cool funtionality too

Mad Mike Signs
Mesa, AZ

480-985-3014

Jackpine

I would stay with Signlab. They have a good software and support system. Upgrade the their print version. I personally would not buy Flexi....or upgrade. Signlab is a top shelf program.