• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about heat presses

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Alrighty, so lately I've been getting people asking about short runs on t-shirts. I am a little out of my element for heat presses since I never used one when I still did silk screening so knowing what the differences are between these $1k-2k machines and ones I can pick up on cheap-bay for $100-200 is a little difficult.

So basically the question is, what brands are worth their salt for every day/week use?

What are the features to look for in a heat press?

If I project a once in a blue moon production for a heat press ... would an ebay heat press be the ideal situation and what do these sort of chinese presses lack compared to a professional press? (talking like a short run [10 or less] of shirts every 6 months or so)

And is it just me or does all this heat transfer vinyl say 'do not tumble dry' on every single product?

If I got a heat press for the shop, would that mean I could also do -shudder- jewel designs?

And lastly, are there any parts that wear out and/or need to be replaced for maintnence longevity?

Bill43mx

Alrighty, so lately I've been getting people asking about short runs on t-shirts. I am a little out of my element for heat presses since I never used one when I still did silk screening so knowing what the differences are between these $1k-2k machines and ones I can pick up on cheap-bay for $100-200 is a little difficult.

Overall quality, temp consistency across the platen, and parts availability

So basically the question is, what brands are worth their salt for every day/week use?

Hotronix and George Knight are both good as well as Phoenix Phire (which is made by Hotronix)

Auto open, digital temp, digital pressure are the big 3 in my opinion.

If I project a once in a blue moon production for a heat press ... would an ebay heat press be the ideal situation and what do these sort of chinese presses lack compared to a professional press? (talking like a short run [10 or less] of shirts every 6 months or so)

For that level of production you might very well do fine with a cheap press as long as it can hold a consistent temperature and doesn't have hot and cold spots.

And is it just me or does all this heat transfer vinyl say 'do not tumble dry' on every single product?

It my but you can pretty much ignore it. Turn inside out to wash and tumble dry on low or medium heat.

If I got a heat press for the shop, would that mean I could also do -shudder- jewel designs?

Can't answer that...it makes me shudder too. ;-)

And lastly, are there any parts that wear out and/or need to be replaced for maintnence longevity?

You are probably more likely to burn out a heating element in a cheap press than anything else. The brand name presses are pretty durable.[/QUOTE]

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Going by reviews and comments at other sites like tshirt forums we went with this one

http://sunie.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=42

Had it about 8 months now with no issues really. We also only do very short runs (and have no desire to do anything more than very short runs). Probably used it a dozen times now and it seems to work well. I specifically wanted a swing away since it's easier to get the occasional odd size thing in it, more even pressure, and no burning the inside of your arms which will happen at some point with a clamshell style.

Mosh

I have a staulz hot tronix I have had for 20 years. If you plan on doing it for
a long time get a good one. Some of the cheap ones have little or NO heat and
pressure control.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I originally purchased a GEO Knight GK20 with Auto Release (GK20A) with stand. It's a quality clam type machine. About a year later that offered a upgrade to add digital pressure guage. The help I received by phone was very good but having to manually place the pressure sensor by me has meant the guage has never worked right.

As mentioned the top 3 to look at are
Auto open, digital temp, digital pressure are the big 3 in my opinion.

To that end I would not buy another GEO Knight but one of the Hotronix swing away instead. The clam style is good but will quickly make your arms and the bottom platen very hot. The swing away models will keep the bottom platen and your arms safe. Some people need the bottom platen warm but I've found it very annoying when you have a front and back decal to apply.

Like anything else. Get the best quality machine you can buy. I haven't seen them in person yet but the Hotronix Fusion looks really good. But I'm sure their are other swing away machines with good pressure, heat, and auto release that are cheaper.

Good luck.

WildWestDesigns

I'm a fan of the Geo Knight line. They do have your air operated automatic presses. I'm not too big on the clam shell design on some presses, but I'm weird that way I guess.

The biggies to watch for have already been mentioned both in terms of options and with regard to longevity. Stick with one of the good ones, it'll cost you less in the long run. At least in my opinion.

Haakon

If the situation is pressing 10 shirts twice a year, it would (literally) take a lifetime to earn back the $2K spent on a high-end press, even if it works like a charm the 2 times a year you would use it.

Where I used to work some years ago, they had a pretty hefty german made fully automated (pneumatic) heat press with changable lower platens and pressure monitored by a analogue gauge. Worked very well, but it also cost about $7k.

When I started my own business a few years ago, I was also in the situation that I might get a odd request to do some shirt and jacket prints (basic logos), so I bought a cheap ebay swing-away heat press with a 12x10 inch work area, digital temperature setting and timer, with a basic pressure adjuster (no gauges to show pressure). With a bit of trial and error to adjust pressure (used some old t-shirts) the results are good and no real difference in end product from the expensive heat press, although that was easier to use. But that makes such a small difference on these sporadic orders.

Have pressed maybe 100 or so shirts and jackets in the last 2 years. It has worked just fine and the $200 it cost delivered has been earned back and then some.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Thanks guys for the response. I went over my notes today, looks like most of my requests are on logo jobs and it's about one job every 3 or 4 months that would ask about extras like t-shirts. I can always screen print them, but such a low amount of shirts (usually enough for the customers use initially) just doesn't justify the cost of screen printing. where as with a heat press, in theory I can have the new logo on shirts, and still be able to customize each one (with say a name on the back of it)

oh well, lot to think on before I take this jump.

Yeah haakon, most of the odd requests I get are usually along the lines of "hmm, with my new logo, can you print that on a few shirts for me to wear?" so ... yeah I really have no idea how many I will do in a year. I figure if I do go the cheap route and get my heat press legs down fast and solid and pay the thing off in the first few jobs ... it will help me make the money to justify a bigger and better machine ... and if I don't get more than a few in a year ... I can still justify having the cheap machine for the odd little extras a job might entitle

rjssigns

Bought a Hotronix Draw Press for less than 400 bux. Found it on Craigslist. Guy went under and was liquidating. He had 7 or 8 of them and I manged to get the last one.

Air Art Girl

Have to add my 2 cents here. I have 3 heat presses, 1 hat press, 2 mug press that I use constantly. They are reputable brands, Geo. Knight, Hotronix, Hix all of which can be serviced to replace parts if needed. I have replaced parts on the Geo. Knight with no problems what so ever.

I would by name brand second hand before going No name, no parts and service brand new.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

So basically the question is, what brands are worth their salt for every day/week use?...

At a 10:1 price ratio, assuming fitness of merchantability, is there any question?

A heat press is a heating element, a thermostat, a hinge, and a couple of pieces that come together. It's not rocket surgery. The basic technology is so simple and so old that even in Hunan province, they can manage make reliable and functional heat presses.

If you buy a basic machine worrying about service and support is much like fretting about service and support for an anvil.

The things that are going to fail are all of the unnecessary instrumentation and controls.

The two platens come together parallel.

It gets hot.

The rest of the features that the big money presses are festooned with are cute but far from necessary. They're just something else that can go wrong and serve no real purpose once you get the hang of it.

The fact is once you get a heat press set up for your circumstances you seldom change anything, you just use it.

You can seldom go wrong with the basic transportation metaphor in these matters.

The most adjusted part of my heat press is the pressure in order to accommodate various thicknesses of material and various blocking schemes to avoid pockets, collars, and other garment features. No digital readouts, I know when it's right by how it feels. It should take any reasonably normal human less than 2 minutes to get the feel of it for themselves.

The temperature control? As long as it's +-10% or so it's fine. All you have to be is somewhere in the ballpark on temperature.

WildWestDesigns

If you buy a basic machine worrying about service and support is much like fretting about service and support for an anvil.

I worry about the service and support of all my machines. I have no concern about service and support when it comes to my "short sugar" (type of anvil that I use to shape horse shoes). There is a huge difference between those two. Even if we were to be talking about hot shoeing to even get the analogy even remotely close to that of a heat press.

The things that are going to fail are all of the unnecessary instrumentation and controls.

I wouldn't call the heating element unnecessary. I have seen them to where you'll get really hot in some spots and hardly anywhere else. They didn't start out that way, but that's how they ended up.

The rest of the features that the big money presses are festooned with are cute but far from necessary. They're just something else that can go wrong and serve no real purpose once you get the hang of it.

Depends on what you are talking about. Some are, some are not. I could agree with you in theory, but it would depend on the specifics in the end.

The fact is once you get a heat press set up for your circumstances you seldom change anything, you just use it.

If you have dedicated presses for dedicated products, yes that is true. But if you have one press that "does it all" with different products, different pressures, different times and different temps. It all depends on the shop. I use my various presses from everything to sublimation, vinyl transfers (from leather to nylon to cotton etc) and I even use it for short run embroidery patches to keep costs down and not have to use my merrow machine. My machines see a wide range.

There are some instances that I would agree with you on that, but it would also depend on the specific shop. A heat press is one of those things that I think is a really good multi purpose tool to have.

The most adjusted part of my heat press is the pressure in order to accommodate various thicknesses of material and various blocking schemes to avoid pockets, collars, and other garment features. No digital readouts, I know when it's right by how it feels. It should take any reasonably normal human less than 2 minutes to get the feel of it for themselves.

Don't forget temp and time. I would argue for those readouts more then I would the pressure one.

Pressure readout I could go either way. It would be more of a convenience thing. That one I would actually be with bob on and now that I think about it, all my machines have manual pressure on them.

The temperature control? As long as it's +-10% or so it's fine. All you have to be is somewhere in the ballpark on temperature.

I've seen products burn due to thinner margins of error then that or the transfer looks faded due to not enough temp.

Mike_Koval

for the amount of pressing you are going to do, i would recommend getting a brand name if you can find a good deal on a used one. I would avoid the $200 ebay or other cheapies out there. Too much inconsistency in the temps and this will cause unsuccessful transfers and unhappy customers.

Yes, a heat press is not rocket science in how it works, we all know that. But if you turn it on and it doesn't run accurate temps, its not worth it, even if you paid $5 for it.

Inconsistent temps and uneven pressure are what cause heat transfers to fail. There is a reason materials have specified times and temps for applications. Just because one material applies at 305, doesn't mean another brand or type is going to apply at that temperature. 5-10 degress won't make a difference, but trust me, i have used presses that weren't running at the temp they were set to, and guess what, the transfers didn't work and then i had to waste time and ruin garments to try different settings just to get them work.

As for features...for you, auto open is over kill. If you are doing this on a day to day basis well worth it, ask anybody who decorates apparel on a regular basis.

Clam Shell vs. Swing - In your case, a clam shell is perfect. Takes up very little room and can stick it in a corner. Swing away is perfect for someone doing alot of names and numbers for easy layout. you wont have the platen over top of your pressing area and wont be working under the heat.

Please feel free to contact me at any time with any further questions.

WildWestDesigns

5-10 degress won't make a difference,

Oh no, 5 to 10°F isn't going to do much that can't be compensated for. But 10% variance up or down that bob was talking about. That could translate to 40°F with regard to your more popular sublimation items and that does make a difference.

As for features...for you, auto open is over kill. If you are doing this on a day to day basis well worth it, ask anybody who decorates apparel on a regular basis.

I'm still borderline on that and 90% of the action my presses see is apparel decorating on some level.

34Ford

I picked up a Stahls 16x20 Mightypress on craigslist for $300. He gave me a couple hundered transfers and the bottom plate had a teflon cover.

Craigslist is also where I bought 2 Graphtec cutters and a Ryonet screen press with exposure box.

Saved a bunch of money.

If your gonna use craigslist then use searchtempest.com

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Whatever you end up buying. Make sure to order or make a teflon cover for the top and bottom platens.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I worry about the service and support of all my machines...

Why? Why do you plan for failure? When I have some piece of equipment or another I plan on it working. It it fails to work I deal with it, but I never waste time planning for failure.

I wouldn't call the heating element unnecessary. I have seen them to where you'll get really hot in some spots and hardly anywhere else. They didn't start out that way, but that's how they ended up.

How many heat presses have you been around? I'm at the end of my 7th decade on the planet, have been in and around this business for well over half a century, and I can count the number of heat presses I've encountered on the fingers of one hand. We must travel in vastly different circles.

Don't forget temp and time. I would argue for those readouts more then I would the pressure one.

A mechanical wind-up timer and a simple mechanical temperature gauge are all that's needed. A digital display for either of these is beyond ridiculous.

Only the terminally anal would be concerned about timing to the second and temperature to the degree. It's just not necessary for a successful operation. Regardless of what anyone says, time, temperature, and pressure merely have to be in the ball park.

I defy anyone to tell the difference between something pressed with exact to the second time, to the degree temperature, and to the gram pressure and something pressed by cranking a mechanical timer to somewhere near the desired time, a temperature somewhere within limits, and pressure set at what feels right to the operator.

I've seen products burn due to thinner margins of error then that or the transfer looks faded due to not enough temp.

Mostly the temperature variance is down, not up. Due to the natural cooling of actually using the thing. Heating an external mass is not free.

When my heat press is just sitting there idling I look for a temperature a bit higher than the specs for whatever I'm using. When the press goes into action the temperature can easily drop 10% while it's being used. That's why I have the initial setting just a taste higher than specs. Know your equipment.

I've never seen anything burn, ever. I have encountered those odd times where, because of temperature drop, the media did not transfer properly and had to be stuffed back into the press for a second round.

WildWestDesigns

Why? Why do you plan for failure? When I have some piece of equipment or another I plan on it working. It it fails to work I deal with it, but I never waste time planning for failure.

Eventually things with moving and/or electrical parts fail. How quickly they do or do not depends on a few factors, some can be deterred by us, some are just the nature of the product.

How many heat presses have you been around? I'm at the end of my 7th decade on the planet, have been in and around this business for well over half a century, and I can count the number of heat presses I've encountered on the fingers of one hand. We must travel in vastly different circles.

You have to remember that the thrust of my business is apparel decorating. That means rhinestones and studs, heat transfers, sublimation, and patches (both sublimation and embroidered patches). All of those I use the heat press for. With embroidered patches not only do I use the heat press for some applications (usually not greater then a 100mm x 100mm size), but I also use it in the production of patches as well.

The heat presses that I have are perhaps one of the most used and useful tools in my shop.

I deal with a lot of people in the same industry, that's a lot of heat presses. Certainly more then I can count with just one hand.

A mechanical wind-up timer and a simple mechanical temperature gauge are all that's needed. A digital display for either of these is beyond ridiculous.

Depends on the size of the shop. The lower number you have, the more you are able to get away with a manual application. It get's harder when you have multiple running with different products. Thermostat not so much, but all the little egg timers, yea, it can get a little out there at times.

When I started everything was manual and no display other then a knob that had a notch and a sticker that had temps on it. Great for the time that it was used, but not something I would advocate for serious use.

Mostly the temperature variance is down, not up. Due to the natural cooling of actually using the thing. Heating an external mass is not free.

You are right, on a normal working machine the variance is down, not up. But that is on a normal working machine where you will find that typical behavior. Certainly though, not 10%. That variance is just too high.

When my heat press is just sitting there idling I look for a temperature a bit higher than the specs for whatever I'm using. When the press goes into action the temperature can easily drop 10% while it's being used. That's why I have the initial setting just a taste higher than specs. Know your equipment.

Yes, that is true about idling it will be hotter. However, I don't agree with your 10% drop. In sublimation that would translate to a 40°f drop. I have seen drops range anywhere from 6 to 9°f, but not very very long before it starts to go back up and "recover". 40 is just too much. The transfer won't work.

That's my biggest thing with what you are saying. Is that range that you are giving. Way too much. If you are really seeing that much of a drop, then that has got to be indicative of what you are using to press.

Let's do one of the lower temp ones that I use. I do about 325°F for cut vinyl on nylon or other heat sensitive materials. You are looking at about a 32°F drop using your equipment. Easily, according to you.

That has got to be related to the quality of equipment that you are using or if it wasn't always like that, then something is going on with it.

I've never seen anything burn, ever. I have encountered those odd times where, because of temperature drop, the media did not transfer properly and had to be stuffed back into the press for a second round.

I've never seen a million dollars in cold hard cash, but I would like to think that it still exists.

I have seen burns, not usually in normal operations, usually it's when the heat platen has developed hot spots in some areas (equipment failure in other words) and it just burns.

Haakon

Bottom line is when you are looking at maybe pressing at most 20 shirt a YEAR, or maybe none at all, this is just to offer a service to existing customers, not to make money from new ones.

Question is how much are you willing to lose by doing so? $100 on a ebay press that with 99% certainty will do the job required just fine, or 10-20 times as much on a highend heat press easily capable of (and intended to) running all day long, only to use it for an hour 2 times a year?

If you need it to be a sturdy everyday workhorse that you depend on the income from, spend the money to get a great one with available support and spare parts for the next 10-20 years. Makes good sense. If you are going to use it to press 1 shirt each month on average, think twice about if spending $1-2k is a vise investment.

I see it kinda like this: I have a reasonable jack in my garage, I mainly use it once each spring and fall to change from summer to winter tires and vice versa. This would probably not last long in a body shop where they jack up 10-20 cars each day of the week, but I can't justify buying a $1000 heavy duty car jack for myself just to swap tires twice a year. Even if it is much better quality. It won't be put to use to a way that it can justicy the cost.

I think I have spent much more on quality squeegees, knifes and magnets than my heat press, but I use those tools everyday, and my heat press a few times a year. Prioritize and spend your money visely :)