• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about Magic Sculpt for a house sign.

SignManiac

Okay so the wife loves my concept for a new house sign and I want to sculpt this along the lines of Grandpa Dans style. I want to do the tree branch portion 3D with all the bark details and was wondering if Magic Sculpt would be good to carve from, is it practical from an expense point, should I carve it from HDU instead?

It's a single face sign so I'm only do a half carve instead of in the full round. I'm going to cut tree shape from either 1" thick Extira or 1/4" plate aluminum and then build up the rounded over tree bark from that surface.

Any other sculpting mediums anyone can recommend? The name panel I'm going to carve from HDU on the router table from HDU using a bitmap fill for the wood grain with Aspire software.

Thanks for any other ideas that I can use on this fun one. The overall size is about 4'w. x 5'-6" h.

Attachments

• marcus house sign.jpg
    marcus house sign.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 114

neato

I don't have an answer for you, but that's going to be a good looking sign! Can't wait to see the final product.

Circleville Signs

I've only played with Magic Sculpt once. IIRC, the stuff is about $500/tub. You'll need to chickenwire the rough shape in order to save on cost (That's what Dan does). Basically, weld aluminum or steel tubing to create the rough shape, wrap chickenwire around it and rough in the shape even more, then apply your magic sculpt and go to town shaping and carving.

The stuff is pretty amazing.

signmeup

Don't carve the Magic Sculpt. Shape it before it cures. It has a fairly long "open" time so you will have time to shape it. There is a taxidermy site that sells the same stuff for less. Name escapes me.

Jillbeans

It's called EZ Sculpt about $80 a gallon (at least when I bought it)
It's like playing with Play-Doh but you can charge for it.
I'd carve from HDU maybe use the epoxy to add "warts" and stuff to the tree, and do the vulture that way.
Love....Jill

Techman

concrete over an armature. Then detail it with magic skulpt. Save lots on expensive plastic. and strong too!

SignManiac

Thank you everyone for your advice! Several options apparently. I'll post up the finished piece once it's done. This will be a fun one!