• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about the new Google Phone

skdave

Does anybody know anything about the New Google phone, the Nexus One? Good or bad.
I'm on my 4th Iphone and ready to look for a better answer.:thankyou:

Letterbox Mike

All the reviews I've read about it seem excellent so far. It's way too new to see how it'll hold up long term but it looks pretty awesome so far. I haven't used one in person, but I got a chance to mess around with a friend's Verion Droid which is very similar and runs the same OS, and it's an amazing phone, more so than the iPhone in my oppinion. The Nexus is supposedly just a hopped up version of the Droid so it should be quite the phone. I'd already have one if I could convince myself a cell phone is worth $600.

skdave

I was one of the pioneers with the i phone at $599. and ended up with arrows in my butt.
@ 600. I will let someone else be a pioneer

javila

Phone is neither the HTC hero nor the Mytouch, as of right now it's not a rebrand of any phone.

I'll be getting it this week and i'll post some impressions.

All signs point to it being a good phone all around, but nothing really especial all together.

S

scarface

I have the Moto Android and the OS is about the exact same. I know theres a few new features but honestly, it's the My touch shell and the same OS for the most part. No that big of a deal.

jiarby

Really is it what the Drois Eris (HTC Hero) should have been.... A 1ghz CPU, More RAM, Bigger Screen, ANDROID 2.1 , and a better that lasts the whole day.

It has a 1ghz Snapdragon (Qualcomm) processor, better display, and Android 2.1...

It is one of the most anticipated phones since the original iPhone.

Even so, it is just another smartphone... Coming our soon is the Sony Xperia and the HTC HD2

Overall the Nexus is great, BUT the problem is with the deal.
$189 on a 2yr TMO contract... but you can only get ONE plan: $79.95 Individual Unlimited. Existing TMO with Family plans are restricted.

I just got a HTC Touch Pro 2... FOR FREE. http://wmdeals.com/
Maybe when the competition catches up I'll snag a Nexus when they let me upgrade one of my off-contract lines.

Overall I'd rather have a Nexus One compared to the TP2.... but you can't scoff at free.

BrianKE

I have had the Droid from Verizon for two months now and absolutely love it. I never had an iPhone but I can tell you there are a ton of great features available for the Android OS (Google's phone OS). The only downside at this point is that Android is fairly new and not nearly the number of apps that iPhone has, but that will change quickly!

For me the best feature is the built in Google Maps/Navigation which works exactly like a Garmin. Before getting this phone I would have to print out directions to where I needed to go and now I simply press a button and say "Navigate to ..." and Google usually finds the location I need.

BTW, there are numerous phones running the Android OS (now at version 2.0) so each Android phone will have the same features at the OS level. The primary differences in Android phones will be the phone itself and the carriers services.

Doyle

Google has branded this phone as the "Google Phone" but in reality, it is just a HTC Android phone, a really good one at that from what I have read. I just don't understand why Google is getting all of the credit on this, it is not their phone, just has their name stamped on it, just a ploy to get into the retail side of the mobile phone market I guess.

Liquid GraphX

From what I have read Nexus won't work on Verizon or AT&T.

"The Nexus One device is unlocked and will recognize SIM cards from any mobile service provider using the GSM standard. The Nexus One's antenna supports four GSM radio frequencies (850/900/1800/1900) and three 3G/UMTS Bands - 1/4/8 (2100/AWS/900). These cover most major GSM mobile providers worldwide, including T-Mobile US, but not the 850 MHz 3G band used by AT&T. The Nexus One phone will, however, deliver 2G/EDGE speeds on these networks, and of course supports WiFi as well. For questions about the bands supported by your mobile service provider, please contact your provider directly."

"The currently available Nexus One is a GSM device and is not compatible with CDMA networks such as Verizon and Sprint. We are working hard to provide Nexus One phones optimized for the Verizon network - please stay tuned."

http://www.google.com/support/android/bin/answer.py?answer=166507

To stay up to date with all smart phones go to http://www.xda-developers.com/ it has hours of reading and tricks to make your phone a little better.

javila

Google has branded this phone as the "Google Phone" but in reality, it is just a HTC Android phone, a really good one at that from what I have read. I just don't understand why Google is getting all of the credit on this, it is not their phone, just has their name stamped on it, just a ploy to get into the retail side of the mobile phone market I guess.

It's mostly because Google worked alongside HTC in getting the featureset they wanted for the phone.

signs2trade

Well I have had the nexus phone for about 6 days now.....Jury is still out.....Have not been able to send emails.....will receive. There is no support for the phone. You can call HTC but there not much help. I really want to like the phone but so far it looks like Im going to move the sim back to the iphone

signs2trade

Im known as a phone whore......I try every phone that comes out to see If I can find something as good as the Iphone but cheaper......A lot of people complain about at&t but Ive not any problems. The android phones are great if you have never had an Iphone. The Iphone is still the best phone out there in my opinion.

saktrnch

The iPhone's great. AT&T isn't so good, but the iPhone is great. I have the 3gs and like it. It will be interesting to see what the new one this spring will be.

saktrnch

Wondering the same thing. I have one and love it. It makes my old blackberry feel like an inferior toy...

I had a blackberry for a few weeks. Took a trip out to PA and the blackberry wouldn't change time zones, I called tech support to find out if I just didn't know how to use it and they said bb's don't change time zones because it would screw up the calendar. I told them that even my old dumb phones years ago were smarter than that. On the flight back I started typing my report for the weekend on the blackberry and got really tired of the small keys.
So when I got back, I took it back and went and got another iPhone. Just wish at&t's coverage would reach off of the main roads.