• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question for home based businesses

jaybeeb

Slow time is when you need to be working on all the things that you don't have time to do when it's busy. Even if you're a small business, you should have dozens of things lined up.. probably more because you have to fill the shoes of multiple positions; marketing, sales, customer service, management, etc.

visual800

After 25 years of being self employed the stress from not knowing where your next pay check is coming from fades away.

The number one way to reduce the level of stress when things slow down is ensure you have a decent amount saved up to get you through the lean times. I always make sure I keep six months of expenses in reserve in case something unforeseen happens.

Absolutely! It used to be stressful to have a slow time but now after 23 years its just annoying. You want work but cant dig any up. This year has been the busiest than the last 5 for sure. I hit a 3 month period this year where I was banging it out and now, once again, it has stopped. But it will be back

sometimes I do projects around the house that need to be done or tye up loose ends on sign projects we all have those. Enjoy your slack time cause it wont last forever

royster13

Yes being self employed can be feast or famine......But when you do not have any work to do, you can always go out and knock on doors...When you are out making sales calls, you drive business......But a common theme I see is that many folks here enjoy being in the sign business but they do not seem to enjoy being in the sales business....

visual800

I love cold calling but I despise other humans! I used to love to sell my products but we are now such a cheapa$$ world that you can look someone right in the face and tell them your product will last 5 years and they dont care they will go with the lesser cost product that will last 1 year. I cannot blame this mentality on the economy either.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I love cold calling but I despise other humans! I used to love to sell my products but we are now such a cheapa$$ world that you can look someone right in the face and tell them your product will last 5 years and they dont care they will go with the lesser cost product that will last 1 year. I cannot blame this mentality on the economy either.

I think this has more to do with the type of customer. I've been in business for 10 years now. Back when I had my smaller, home based businesses I would look for the cheapest option because it was all I could afford. I had time on my hands to maintain and replace.

Now, knowing I'm in this one for the long haul, I am looking for the option that best suites the need...because that's all I can afford.

We spend a premium to have a shop full of M&R equipment. It's built better in my opinion and it makes it easier to keep up with maintenance when everything is the same, but I can't say I always would have paid a premium.

When you're small and you don't know where you're going to be tomorrow, you buy cheap. When you grow and have a better idea on where you will be tomorrow, you buy with that in mind.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Awesomely good post. I'm saving this one to a .pdf and tucking it away with the other cool threads I save.

If I could add anything, I would suggest that you establish a personal development / continuing education plan, and use your slow times to attend seminars (or better yet, webinars), trade shows or find your way to your local library to do some improvement on your marketing and "people" skills. The real pay off will come when you get busy again. I can't tell you how many "stagnate" bosses I've worked for who avoided self-improvement like the plague. Your business will reflect your personality and enthusiasm...or lack thereof.

As mentioned previously, refining the business plan is also essential. If your business plan has a layer of dust on it, then you're doing it wrong. I was in business seven years before putting a plan together...I wouldn't do it that way again...ever.

Become a "list writer" and always have a boat load of things to do when the opportunity presents itself.

Remember...as a business owner, there are never any "slow times"....only dry times.

Jim

Border

...But a common theme I see is that many folks here enjoy being in the sign business but they do not seem to enjoy being in the sales business....

Ding ding ding!

This is probably my own worst enemy. I prefer just being busy and "making stuff".

I am fortunate enough to not have very many slow times anymore but we all know that can change in a heartbeat with any given day or major event. So it is important to keep that sales hat tuned up and ready to go, especially if you are having so many slow times.

No whining allowed, just go out and pound some pavement or go back to work at another company and make money for someone else!

They don't call this the land of opportunity for nuthin'...

:wavingflag:

James Burke

I saw this years ago, but it still rings true:

GOYAKOD

Yep....you can find it on google.

JB

FireSprint.com

Attachments

• wwd6kl.jpg
    wwd6kl.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not gonna mention names, but anyone who says to answer your phone less has got to have some screws missing or very loose.

All I ever hear anymore is.... ah, finally, someone that picked up the phone and I can talk to :loveya:

me: Have ya called many shops ??
them: Yeah and no one answers. I guess they're all at their other job.
me: Something like that.... how can I help you ??

Almost 100%, I nail 'em. Big jobs...... little jobs. Doesn't matter. People are far too stressed out and impatient to wait for call-backs. They will go down the phone-book, until someone answers and sounds competent. Those e-mailing ya... are generally price-shopping for the cheapest guy in town and send out a poll like request.

People want results and they want them now, so if you know your business and know your capabilities, you can generally drag out all the particulars and land the job or at least make an appointment to meet with them and that's even better. When I meet with someone, I can almost guarantee I have the job.... even if I've never met them before. You need the gift of gab, you need to listen and make sensible suggestions and then be prepared to either figure out a quote on the spot.... or tell them you'll get back to them with a formal quote by the end of the day or first thing tomorrow morning.

BUT, make sure you come through. Don't be making worthless promises if you can't fulfill the initial part of getting an order.

SD&F

Business is Business. If you are slow, you need to pound the payment. If business is good, you need to pound the pavement or pick up the phone. I function with the belief that no matter how good it gets, there will be a slow time. It's up to you, so stay up and motivated.

James Burke

Business is Business. If you are slow, you need to pound the payment. If business is good, you need to pound the pavement or pick up the phone. I function with the belief that no matter how good it gets, there will be a slow time. It's up to you, so stay up and motivated.

Where's the "like" button for this?

JB

FireSprint.com

This is good stuff.

Gino, I don't want to take sides, but I agree with you 110%.

I have told friends and family over and over again that one day I'll write a book about small business success. Chapter one will be 25 pages long.

pg1-12 Blank
pg13 Answer your phone.
pg14-25 Blank

We win bids all the time simply because we answer our phone/email, and return phone calls/email within hours.

Locals Find!

I never said don't return calls. I said don't answer your phone as much. If you answer your phone on the first ring every time and your a one man shop. It's telling your customer I have nothing better to be doing but sitting here waiting for the phone to ring. Whether or not you are doing something that is the perception they get.

Now, if your a large shop with multiple employees this will not and should not ever apply to you as you got someone available to grab that phone at all times.

BTW, my voicemail tells everyone I am on the line with another customer and I will call you back within 15 minutes. I work hard to keep up on making those return calls within that time frame.

CES020

If you answer your phone on the first ring every time and your a one man shop. It's telling your customer I have nothing better to be doing but sitting here waiting for the phone to ring. Whether or not you are doing something that is the perception they get.

Another one of the dumbest things I have read on this forum. Do you really think a potential customer is going to hold back work because you answer your phone on the first ring? I truly hope you aren't serious. If you are, then it might be time to take a look at your business and how you've really struggled to get it to the next level over the last few years.

I agree with Gino and Firesprint. We've gotten a number of jobs just because we answered the phone. We've also lost a number of them because we called them back 5 minutes after they left voicemail, only to get their voicemail and never hear back from them.

I've never EVER heard from a customer that answering the phone on the first ring or two smelled like desperation to them. That's insane thinking.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I never said don't return calls. I said don't answer your phone as much. If you answer your phone on the first ring every time and your a one man shop. It's telling your customer I have nothing better to be doing but sitting here waiting for the phone to ring. Whether or not you are doing something that is the perception they get.

Now, if your a large shop with multiple employees this will not and should not ever apply to you as you got someone available to grab that phone at all times.

BTW, my voicemail tells everyone I am on the line with another customer and I will call you back within 15 minutes. I work hard to keep up on making those return calls within that time frame.

Whomever is telling you this crap should have their head examined right after someone does a lobotomy on you.

So, you got a nice request or landed a good job. Don't let that go to your head and form some knuckle-headed theory that's gonna break the bank. When someone is calling you, they don't care if you are a one-man shop or have 30 employees, they just want to get their order placed with some who seems competent.

In fact, we have our phones stop ringing after four rings and getting messages bugs the crap outta me. So. someone better well answer that phone... and quickly. Again, we're all about service and answering a call is the first step towards creating a working relationship. Someone in the shop must answer one of our lines when the others are ringing also.

Using your logic Addie......

If you call to buy a, let's say a window unit air conditioner, you call your regular guy. He doesn't answer.

Do you wait for days until he calls you back ??
Let's say, he's out delivering someone else's A/C and gets back to you and you now you don't answer your phone due to your policy of not anwering phones. This stoopid theory could take days to just talk to someone.

Or. . . . . . . . . . . . do you call the next guy in the phone-book or on a website ??
If no one answers at the next few, do you keep trying to reach a human and finally when one answers you blurt out to them all the information you have. Size of room, your budget, 110 or 220 system and so on ??

No one expects to wait anymore these days. We're in a mindset that we want it and we want it now. With the economy being sluggish and everyone chompin' at the bit, someone is gonna answer and give these people exactly what it is they want. Consider yourself lucky getting people you don't even know waiting for your return phone calls, but please don't give stoopid advice out as being gospel, when it's only a fleeting moment you got things going in your direction.

ICeMAnAbk

When I first got into signs, I had a good streak, then I hit a dull spot, and money was scarce, but then it picked up again. There is seasonal things, and other factors that are going to cause stuff. Maybe open up to more services, or go out and visit customers & find new ones. There is def a sense of security working for someone else. However, you can easily make more on your own. Bigger risks, bigger rewards. Budgeting is your friend. Dont live outside your means, and keep positive. This isn't just a home business thing, but also for small shops as well and some businesses see low points too. Its just the nature of how things work.

Hit the road, and get those customers. If anything, keep busy. There are some good suggestions here. Always look into expansion, or ways to improve what you have. doesn't cost money always to improve. Make your place nicer/cleaner. small improvements are still improvements. The money will come.

ICeMAnAbk

In the age of technology, we have headsets, bluetooths, and other wireless devices. I use to answer the phone, and do weeding, or prepping while I was talking to the person on the phone. Some people, if they can't get a hold of you, are impatient, and will just call someone else. Just pick it up. If your hands are full... then by all means, let it go to voice mail.

HulkSmash

Ok,

This is by far the worse advice i have ever seen.
We're a busy very fast paced shop, and answer EVERY SINGLE call.
First 2nd, or 3rd ring, it gets answered. Addy.. please stop...you say the most ignorant things...