• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question for home based businesses

SignManiac

I always answer on the first ring if possible. And 90% of the time when a call comes in, I try to be the one to answer it. My customers know they can reach me and I'm there to try and take care of whatever they need. No hiding or avoiding any calls. If its a problem call, I want it resolved as fast as humanly possible. Customer service is a premium part of why I charged what I do.

Fanaticus

Running your own business will be the hardest job you've ever had but if you keep at it and don't give up on any obstacle you run into it will also be the most rewarding.

OlsonSigns601

Never let a call just go to voicemail.

We've got someone to answer our phones and that is all they do.

The return on having someone just answer the phone to take messages for you, give our hours, address, basic prices and hang up on telemarketers is worth every penny.

Here is a perfect example of why you answer the phone: About 3 months ago It was about closing time. Phone Rings my receptionist answer it and she couldn't answer the question so she transfers the call to my office. Guy said he left message with my competitor about a sign but he never returned his call. I was able to answer his question about channel lettering. The next morning I've got a check for 4k. Now my competitor we'll just call him Larry, is a one man shop and does his installs after 4pm. So even though this was one of Larry's past customers and I'm sure Larry would have been able to do the same sign job and been about the same price, I got the job not because I've got a good reputation (which I do) its because picked up the phone and said Olson Signs.

Also on a side note: If you've got people begging you to do sign work its not because you don't answer your phone, its because you are prices are too low and they'll deal with crappy customer service for a good price.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Maybe some of your customers are calling our shop Adtechia... because several times , from various new customers this past two weeks, I've been told we were the ONLY sign company to respond to their requests. Whether it's email, phone, mail or carrier pigeon... we answer our phones when we are here and QUICKLY return the call or email if we're not.

There is no excuse not to answer the phone if you are able or to make someone wait so you can feel a little more important. That's just bad business.

lexsigns

I forward the shop to my cell when ever I am out of the shop- If I forget, the cell # is on the machine- I respond to emails instantly whether in the shop or not...

just me

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I always answer on the first ring if possible. And 90% of the time when a call comes in, I try to be the one to answer it. My customers know they can reach me and I'm there to try and take care of whatever they need. No hiding or avoiding any calls. If its a problem call, I want it resolved as fast as humanly possible. Customer service is a premium part of why I charged what I do.

Haha........ you must be younger than I thought. I need one or two rings to squint and read the caller ID so I know if I should be nice or mean.... you know, if it's one of those telemarketers selling electric contracts or phone service. We have no bill collectors calling us, so I pretty much answer them all. Know what else Maniac..... I answer the phone as much as possible, so my guys [and...... now gals] aren't interrupted from their work. :thumb:

Locals Find!

Maybe some of your customers are calling our shop Adtechia... because several times , from various new customers this past two weeks, I've been told we were the ONLY sign company to respond to their requests. Whether it's email, phone, mail or carrier pigeon... we answer our phones when we are here and QUICKLY return the call or email if we're not.

There is no excuse not to answer the phone if you are able or to make someone wait so you can feel a little more important. That's just bad business.

I doubt their my customers, but I am sure your experiencing the same thing I know every other shop in our area is. A Huge increase in demand for marketing materials.

I always return calls and emails as soon as possible. However, I am not jumping for my phone every time it rings anymore and dropping whatever I am doing to answer it. I have been doing sales going on 15 years. I have learned what works and what doesn't and let me tell you my business isn't suffering any by not answering every single call. Those who jump on every single call aren't salespeople.

If your clients believe your time is worth less than theirs you will lose their respect and eventually lose your mind. I am not whoring myself out every time someone waives a dollar. I don't answer my phone when I am with a client, I don't answer the phone when I am working on a clients project, and I don't answer the phone when I am taking a break. Its not fair to the other clients, or myself. If customers don't appreciate that well they are free to go find someone else to work with because, I don't wanna work with them.

ForgeInc

I doubt their my customers, but I am sure your experiencing the same thing I know every other shop in our area is. A Huge increase in demand for marketing materials.

I always return calls and emails as soon as possible. However, I am not jumping for my phone every time it rings anymore and dropping whatever I am doing to answer it. I have been doing sales going on 15 years. I have learned what works and what doesn't and let me tell you my business isn't suffering any by not answering every single call. Those who jump on every single call aren't salespeople.

If your clients believe your time is worth less than theirs you will lose their respect and eventually lose your mind. I am not whoring myself out every time someone waives a dollar. I don't answer my phone when I am with a client, I don't answer the phone when I am working on a clients project, and I don't answer the phone when I am taking a break. Its not fair to the other clients, or myself. If customers don't appreciate that well they are free to go find someone else to work with because, I don't wanna work with them.

It's obviously served you really well.

BTW - How is working for your mom going?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well Addie, by your description in that last paragraph of yours, you're no salesperson, either. You seem more like the janitor/secretary/kitchen clean up lacky who is overworked and underpaid and has a self righteous attitude worth about one lump of coal.

Do you even realize you're talking to 100's of people who are completely successful in business and not all of us are only in the sign business ??

You spout some of the most obvious things and than hang onto them like you discovered something new and are going to patent it.

If you have other people working for you, they will answer the phone when you can't.... taking a crap, with a customer, break or whatever, but to think someone calling on the phone is stealing your valuable time and hiding behind the fact, you just don't want to..... to pretend you are busy, well, that one really takes the cake. Today, most people carry their phone around in their pocket, have a blue-tooth or some kind of means of speaking almost immediately.

If I had your attitude and displayed ignoring a phone call while talking or going over a project with someone present.... that would get more disrespect then your idea of doing business. That person [which is where reputations are built] will see you as a poor business person who ignores business, which may very well be his phone call next time. :omg: You simply excuse yourself, take the call, make it short, unless it's Mommy, and return to business. It's rude and disrespectful for someone to come to your place of business and conduct their business on your time. Now that one irritates me and I walk away from a customer when they pull that on me. But, in my place, I rule and if my phone rings in my place, I take it and tell them I'll get right back to them. Again, I'll look at the caller ID and if it's a nasty telemarketer or some other stoopid ID coming in... I'll not answer at all. I guess, even the most basic of business ethics have to be explained to you, huh ??

Try Business101.com, it's right next to making soap101.com :doh:

Last edited:

ICeMAnAbk

WOW! ... just friggin.. WOW!

Yea, call forwarding to a cell, using a bluetooth, getting out of 1980 and getting a wireless phone or TWO or hell even 4 or 5 of them. telephone wire is like 10cents a foot, and wireless phones are around 10-20 bucks a piece now. No reason you shouldnt be able to answer or setup your house/business to have a phone in a reachable spot in every room. If you're handy with speaker wire, you could setup an intercom even out of stereo speakers.

Being "too busy" to answer that phone will be remedied soon when you have no work because you avoid picking it up. So whats the next tactic. walk around with the phone calling everyone for jobs? One extreme to another.

J

john1

Just talked to 2 customers of mine and one is a multi million dollar company and other isn't that big and both are feeling the slow times. One is in the printing industry and other is in the automotive industry (not a stealership). The multi million one has been slow since end of Feb they said but it's picking up slowly and other was busy until July hit.

Guess it's the time of the year or something due to the 4th maybe? I just know last month i made more than i make normally in 2 months and now it's a job here and there. I will be lucky to break even on bills this month.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.

Nice, just going to say that.

Hey addy, don't brag about those invites to BID ... I get ITB in my fax all day and night ... they send that to everyone, not just you .. it's why they call it an INVITE TO BID.

and you ALWAYS answer your phone ... not answering your phone is stupid. if I try to call you (a business) and call doesn't go through ... I won't leave a message ... i will move on to the next phone number. Same thing happens when you go apply for a job at a gas station when your failed attempt at working in the sign industry finally makes you get another job because you DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE.

Hope you don't try that at Mommies place of work ... she doesn't have a parent to fall back on for a job when you ruin that one too.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Techman isn't wrong ... answering every call does not make you a salesman. it does make sure you have good customer service skills though, same as smiling when on the phone since that translates in the inflection of your voice and using proper conversational skills.

Lack of customer service in person or on the phone ends up with customers going away because you frustrate them.