• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

questions about head alignment mimaki jv3

jens

i want to re-aligne my print heads.

i enterd the service menu #adjust
and printed out the lines. Now i have to put in a value.
you have + and - side. So do i have to look where the lines are exactly lined over eatch other ? and give in that value ? because some old settings are way of the value i want to enter. And thats seems a bit strange for me. Or do i have to look at the Center (0) and look at the diffrence and give in that value ?

kind regards,

jens

jdigital

Yes. Do you have a loop or magnifying glass? If so, find the lines that overlap. As to the + and -, if your lines overlap at the positive side, then add that value to your current value on your machine screen. For example: If your current value is 2.? and your overlapping line is at +5, then add five (=7.?) and vice versa. continue doing this with all patterns.

Once your finished you need to do a fine adjust. If you don't know how to do this one, PM me

good luck

jens

thx,
what is 1 ? mm ? or dot size ?
with overlap you mean are lined out over eatch other ?

gabagoo

let me get this straight. If they line up at lets say 5 and your now at 2.5 you enter 7.5? shoot no wonder my machine sucks lol

jens

thx a lot jdigital,
After placing in a new printhead i need to adjust the head (manual with the screws) ?
head adjust slant ? the head turns same side like you turn the screw i guess ?

are there other operations that have to be completed before you start the alignment of the heads ?

jens

i will get the servcie manual tomorrow , and i have to fix the machine tomorrow Stressy situation... I was told that the manual is not providing lot of information about these things.

jdigital

True, the manual stinks. just gives you basic troubleshooting and not very descriptive.

jens,
I have never adjusted any screws or slant. I have put in many printheads and have left these alone, just do #adjust and you should be fine. remember, you need to do all machine modes. ie.: Normal,Variable,etc.

If you need a guide for adjusting your alignment I can send you one. Let me know

MachServTech

There is a document called JV3 S-series Replacement Procedure that is in most manuals, but I can dig it up for you. It is fairly step by step

jens

thx,
it worked !!!,
but what is Y base , and how do i have to read this ?
C1 - C2
C1 - c3
c1

particleman

The head slant is needed if you don't get the head back in the exact same spot the old one was. I've put in several and it was needed, but you have to have a loupe or magnification device to see it.

Y base lays each color over top of a black line (in relation to the black print head), the color must be directly over the black line, this again needs a loupe

WrapperX

I'm seeing a slight halo of cyan on my most recent prints. It looks like the cyan head has come out of alignment - is there a way to adjust this with out fiddling with screws. We have not replaced this head any time recently and we have not had any major carriage crashes that would seem to knock anything out of place. Is there something I'm not doing.
I have already done a print adjust under the Maintenance options and although I disagree with the suggested adjustments from above - ie: adding the adjustment value to the existing value - I will try that for now. But I believe I'm going to need to tweek the actual head screws. Which screw does what - left to right front to back adjustments?

WrapperX

I'm seeing a slight halo of cyan on my most recent prints. It looks like the cyan head has come out of alignment - is there a way to adjust this with out fiddling with screws. We have not replaced this head any time recently and we have not had any major carriage crashes that would seem to knock anything out of place. Is there something I'm not doing.
I have already done a print adjust under the Maintenance options and although I disagree with the suggested adjustments from above - ie: adding the adjustment value to the existing value - I will try that for now. But I believe I'm going to need to tweek the actual head screws. Which screw does what - left to right front to back adjustments?

Just wanted to let you all know - We had our tech come out and explain how to do the #adjust and this seemed to work really well. If you are having alignment issues, this is worth the 2.5hrs that it took me to fiddle with this. I couldn't believe how far out of wack some of the other heads were - regardless of how the CYAN was.

Thanks for the info from all you out there.

jackbro64

hi, I'm having the same cyan overlapping problem. I tried the adding to procedure, but my colr test strip still overlaps (right to left). Do I need to get into the service menu? Adjust screws? Thx.

MikePro

let me get this straight. If they line up at lets say 5 and your now at 2.5 you enter 7.5? shoot no wonder my machine sucks lol
either I'm misreading the manual or these posts...
so each of the lines on the printadjust is a 1.0 value? AND you ADD to the existing value?

i always thought that each was a 0.1 value and it was the final number you wanted to end up with on your pattern#.

genericname

I was under that assumption as well. The above mentioned technique, and the one mentioned in the service manual oppose eachother. I've simply been replacing the value with the one listed on the test pattern, and haven't had any issues.

Can we get anecdotes from other users on their procedures? I won't assume I'm right and jdigital's wrong, but I find it hard to believe that I've just been really, REALLY lucky all this time.

Last edited:

MikePro

its on another thread in the Mimaki forums, as well.
Replace the values... don't add to them.

I feel better now that I know I've been doing it the right way all along.