• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Questions about printing backlit sign

GoodPeopleFlags

We don't have a lot of call for backlit sign faces, but we have an order for one now. The face will have to be a full print. We have an Epson GS6000. So... are the inks translucent? I guess we'll need translucent white vinyl? What about printing it on clear and applying it to translucent white plex?

Any tips and/or advice is appreciated! Thanks!

zigns62

Most of the backlit signs I do I print on clear and apply to milk plexi, the client is always happy and they look great

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
You can do it both ways, the trans vinyl would be easiest but not nessecarily the best looking. How big is the sign and how far away is the viewing distance?

GoodPeopleFlags

It's going to be about 3'x8'. I would say the shopping center is about 50' - 75' from the road? So, not too far.

We'll probably go with the clear vinyl on white translucent plex since we don't have the translucent vinyl in stock and don't use it that often.

Thank you!

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Printing on clear film and having it under your translucent White print will give you more color saturation at night when it's illuminated while keeping the print the correct color during the day. It's an extra step and cost more but looks nice. The cheap way out is to do an overprint/double ink strike on a single print which will darken your colors.

GoodPeopleFlags

Thanks, Mike! Not sure I'm understanding this part, tho:
"Printing on clear film and having it under your translucent White print..."

GoodPeopleFlags

Are you saying to print it on both? What about take clear plex, cover it with blank, white translucent, then apply the clear print to that? If we print it twice, seems like it would be difficult to get them lined up perfectly. Are you saying to print it on both so it will bascially have double ink?

Sorry I don't understand things very well! Sometimes ya gotta really spell it out for me! :rolleyes:

gnemmas

Two print on clear vinyl, laminate one, apply un-laminted one first on white plex, then apply laminated on top.

ProColorGraphics

I haven't had good luck using clear on white plexi. The prints always looked washed out, so I print on translucent and put on either clear or white plexi. Works great.

Malkin

Did one the other day that was printed on clear, laminated, and applied to white lexan on top surface. Did a reverse print on clear and applied to back side. Managed to get the registration to within about 1/8". Colors came out perfect for day & night viewing. Ghosting/fuzziness at night due to misregistraion was surprisingly low, certainly acceptable. This was on a 2' x 8'.

Would white translucent, applied to white acrylic/lexan reduce the light considerably?

proline51

we have printed double pass on our roland, onto clear and installed on white transluscent lexan, colors are a bit darker during the day (unless the sign is turned on), but are very good at night. if it is a backlit sign, whenever the business is open the sign should be lit anyway (that is why they bought the back lit sign in the first place).:thumb:

PLD

BALLPARK

I would just sub out the job and have it printed directly on to lexan/plexi from a flatbed printer.

They look great and last for years...

I got lazy with mine about 10 years ago, I just printed it on backlit film and sent it out for lamination. It was a 4' x 8' full color sports image... Looked great, but was a pain to seal onto the lexan and had to customize the can a bit to help the long term install.

R08

Did one the other day that was printed on clear, laminated, and applied to white lexan on top surface. Did a reverse print on clear and applied to back side. Managed to get the registration to within about 1/8". Colors came out perfect for day & night viewing. Ghosting/fuzziness at night due to misregistraion was surprisingly low, certainly acceptable. This was on a 2' x 8'.

Would white translucent, applied to white acrylic/lexan reduce the light considerably?

Yup... that's the way I usually do it with great results.

I think using white translucent vinyl is more if you are using a clear acrylic.
I have a small 3x8 backlit that has a clear acrylic and that is what I'm going to do.

mlboo

i have a customer that wants specific PMS colors on their backlit sign, they want to use the old signface (they are aware of the ghosting possiblity). the old signface is white

i have white translucent oracal media and white translucent 3m..
i have not found a clear that prints well. im open to recomendations.

what is the best way to set up for this to get nice rich colors when printing with an HP9000.
thanks.