Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about printing backlit sign

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by GoodPeopleFlags, May 20, 2010.

1. GoodPeopleFlags

GoodPeopleFlags Very Active Member

We don't have a lot of call for backlit sign faces, but we have an order for one now. The face will have to be a full print. We have an Epson GS6000. So... are the inks translucent? I guess we'll need translucent white vinyl? What about printing it on clear and applying it to translucent white plex?

Any tips and/or advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    consensus is print on clear, lay on sign white acrylic, print on white trans, lay over clear print

3. zigns62

zigns62 Member

Apr 13, 2007
    NV
    Most of the backlit signs I do I print on clear and apply to milk plexi, the client is always happy and they look great

4. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    You can do it both ways, the trans vinyl would be easiest but not nessecarily the best looking. How big is the sign and how far away is the viewing distance?

5. GoodPeopleFlags

It's going to be about 3'x8'. I would say the shopping center is about 50' - 75' from the road? So, not too far.

We'll probably go with the clear vinyl on white translucent plex since we don't have the translucent vinyl in stock and don't use it that often.

Thank you!

6. CL Graphics

CL Graphics Active Member

Feb 24, 2007
    colors will probably be off if you print on clear and apply to white face.

7. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Printing on clear film and having it under your translucent White print will give you more color saturation at night when it's illuminated while keeping the print the correct color during the day. It's an extra step and cost more but looks nice. The cheap way out is to do an overprint/double ink strike on a single print which will darken your colors.

8. GoodPeopleFlags

Thanks, Mike! Not sure I'm understanding this part, tho:
    "Printing on clear film and having it under your translucent White print..."

9. Mike Paul

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Two printed layers. One print is on clear vinyl and the other is on translucent White vinyl.

10. GoodPeopleFlags

Are you saying to print it on both? What about take clear plex, cover it with blank, white translucent, then apply the clear print to that? If we print it twice, seems like it would be difficult to get them lined up perfectly. Are you saying to print it on both so it will bascially have double ink?

Sorry I don't understand things very well! Sometimes ya gotta really spell it out for me! :rolleyes:

11. gnemmas

gnemmas Active Member

Nov 7, 2006
    CA
    Two print on clear vinyl, laminate one, apply un-laminted one first on white plex, then apply laminated on top.

12. Mike Paul

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Yes

Yes but you won't notice the double ink coverage during the day only at night when illuminated. (when you need the extra color saturation).

13. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I haven't had good luck using clear on white plexi. The prints always looked washed out, so I print on translucent and put on either clear or white plexi. Works great.

14. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    Did one the other day that was printed on clear, laminated, and applied to white lexan on top surface. Did a reverse print on clear and applied to back side. Managed to get the registration to within about 1/8". Colors came out perfect for day & night viewing. Ghosting/fuzziness at night due to misregistraion was surprisingly low, certainly acceptable. This was on a 2' x 8'.

Would white translucent, applied to white acrylic/lexan reduce the light considerably?

15. CentralSigns

CentralSigns Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Golden BC
    We'd print clear and apply to white acrylic sign face, no lamination lasts 5 yrs anyways before fading.

16. proline51

proline51 Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    we have printed double pass on our roland, onto clear and installed on white transluscent lexan, colors are a bit darker during the day (unless the sign is turned on), but are very good at night. if it is a backlit sign, whenever the business is open the sign should be lit anyway (that is why they bought the back lit sign in the first place).:thumb:

PLD

17. BALLPARK

BALLPARK Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Radford, VA
    I would just sub out the job and have it printed directly on to lexan/plexi from a flatbed printer.

They look great and last for years...

I got lazy with mine about 10 years ago, I just printed it on backlit film and sent it out for lamination. It was a 4' x 8' full color sports image... Looked great, but was a pain to seal onto the lexan and had to customize the can a bit to help the long term install.

18. kstompaint

kstompaint Active Member

We print to white translucent, laminate and apply to clear substrate. It's easy and works great.

19. B08

B08 Very Active Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Yup... that's the way I usually do it with great results.

I think using white translucent vinyl is more if you are using a clear acrylic.
    I have a small 3x8 backlit that has a clear acrylic and that is what I'm going to do.

20. mlboo

mlboo New Member

May 27, 2010
    i have a customer that wants specific PMS colors on their backlit sign, they want to use the old signface (they are aware of the ghosting possiblity). the old signface is white

i have white translucent oracal media and white translucent 3m..
    i have not found a clear that prints well. im open to recomendations.

what is the best way to set up for this to get nice rich colors when printing with an HP9000.
    thanks.