Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Coroplast Question

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by neato, Oct 31, 2013.

1. neato

neato Very Active Member

May 16, 2003
    Henderson, IL
    For 18 x 24 4mm Coroplast signs that will hang on a light pole, would you have the flutes run vertically or horizontally?

Tags:
  2. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    always vertical my friend

3. neato

neato Very Active Member

May 16, 2003
    Henderson, IL
    That was my instinct too. Thanks for confirming!

4. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
    I would run them vertically if they are mounted only from the top & bottom, and horizontally if they are going to be mounted from the side.

The reason I say this is if the wind load is hitting them while they are mounted on the side a vertical flute is likely to give and bend. Whereas the horizontal flute will give resistance.

If they are mounted from the top and bottom you want the flutes vertical to both provide resistance against the wind and to allow water to drain.

5. neato

neato Very Active Member

May 16, 2003
    Henderson, IL
    Thanks!

(PS- Fred, why don't we have a thanks button for posts on this board?)

6. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    I think I saw a couple of your signs you have been putting up on the light poles.

7. VTSigns

VTSigns Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Signville
    We do a bunch of these for short term parking. These are for a specific customer and they always specify horizontal flutes so the sign doesn't wrap around the pole when it gets windy. They say horizontal flutes work much better than vertical flutes.

8. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    YA!
    We not getting paid to build water tanks.

9. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Flutes perpendicular to the way you don't want the sign to bend or that it's likely to bend. Always.

10. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Considering what the pole is made of and it's shape..... you might wanna build a metal frame for the temporary sign and weld it fast to the pole and fasten the sign to your frame. If it's a wooden pole, around here, it's still illegal to attach any sign to it.

:thumb:

So, if you put the sign up one way, the holes will drain..... how cleverly thoughtful. :rolleyes: I guess if you put the sign up with the flutes running the way water cannot drain, how does the water get in there in the first place ?? Does that mean bees and other flying insects can build nests in those thar flutes ?? I still haven't seen ANYONE try to play the flutes in a Cor-X sign. If you do, take a picture and post it....... :thankyou:

11. WeekendDirectionals

WeekendDirectionals Member

Dec 2, 2011
    If you don't want them to bend horizontal. As was mentioned they will bend if the pole is vertical and the flutes are vertical. Interesting how many missed on this one...

12. tattoo.dan

tattoo.dan Active Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern Il
    we cut footbal helmets out of coro to be screwed to telephone poles. run flute horizontal so they resist the wind better and won't wrap around the pole