• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quick Exterior Install Video

Here's what I think, and take it for what it's worth

No offense and not sure if you do installs or just pure design, but I sure hope you don't charge by the hour for installs. I could have installed that banner by myself by the time this video was over.

This is not something to show clients (if that's the intention) with all the procrastinating of installers going on. I would recorded intermittently and not have shown this in rapid time in it's entirety.

Not to leave you hanging with no feedback on what you could/should have done. Find your center first and desired elevation. Know your distance from top opposite grommets, start on one corner, attach a hook and strap to the opposite end of the banner and let that hang free. Once you finish drilling one corner move your single ladder over 1' in or out of the banner end whatever your preference left handed or right, pull the strap which is attached to your banner and tug. Find your grommet hole and height from the building top (to match), do a starter hole (1" further than the grommet went, let go of the banner leave it strapped to your ladder, drill, attach banner to faster. then do the next opposite corners drilling just a little further from each grommet. Then when you attach each the screw, it will pull the banner tight, then work on the centers.

You don't need those extra hands to pay, to pull the banner for you.

For what it's worth.

Fitch

Looks like a banner temporarily screwed to a wall. Although banners are temporary sign substrates, you should have at minimum used sail track. At least the thing would be taut and constant, without the ripples.

Just my .02 cents.

jasonx

No offense and not sure if you do installs or just pure design, but I sure hope you don't charge by the hour for installs. I could have installed that banner by myself by the time this video was over.

This is not something to show clients (if that's the intention) with all the procrastinating of installers going on. I would recorded intermittently and not have shown this in rapid time in it's entirety.

Not to leave you hanging with no feedback on what you could/should have done. Find your center first and desired elevation. Know your distance from top opposite grommets, start on one corner, attach a hook and strap to the opposite end of the banner and let that hang free. Once you finish drilling one corner move your single ladder over 1' in or out of the banner end whatever your preference left handed or right, pull the strap which is attached to your banner and tug. Find your grommet hole and height from the building top (to match), do a starter hole (1" further than the grommet went, let go of the banner leave it strapped to your ladder, drill, attach banner to faster. then do the next opposite corners drilling just a little further from each grommet. Then when you attach each the screw, it will pull the banner tight, then work on the centers.

For what it's worth.

You strap the banner to the ladder?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Chris what are you trying to sell with the video and to who?
How you do your installs to the customer?
Or some of your video editing skills to us here?
Video is pretty well done - maybe a little long and those last few frames with the "insert something, something title here" should be gone.

As for the install I would not have done it that way but everyone has their own way of doing things and I can think of a few installs I have done that I would not like to have any recorded evidence of.

wayne k
guam usa

J

john1

Wow, i just noticed that's the old 509 place. I noticed the window perf Dan did and isn't that Dan in the black hat on the ground?

Good job!

radiohead223

Looks like a banner temporarily screwed to a wall. Although banners are temporary sign substrates, you should have at minimum used sail track. At least the thing would be taut and constant, without the ripples.

Just my .02 cents.

+1 for sail track.... much more professional look and also changeable within a few minutes for the new design

phototec

I have to agree with Westcoast Sign Guy, there is way to much time spent doing NOTHING, walking around, back and forth, around the building, etc. All this video shows me, is there was a lack of planning and procrastination most of the time, not very productive.

I think about 3/4 of the video shows nothing but people moving around, like the guy drinking the pop. I wouldn't want to show my customer this, they would be thinking the install labor is inflated.

Try and edit the video, show a few frames setting up, then right into the actual banner attachment.

IMO
:toasting:

mikey-Oh

tldw.... I agree with the previous comments regarding length.
If you feel the need for the video to be 7+ mins, why not break it up?
Let 2-3mins be screenshots of layout, 2mins of the printer firing it through and getting hemmed and then another two for hanging.

p.s. I can barely stand the RHCP remixed
I was wrong, I hate it

Shift Designs

Wow, i just noticed that's the old 509 place. I noticed the window perf Dan did and isn't that Dan in the black hat on the ground?

Good job!

Good eye! Yeah thats Dan. Have the new window perf designed and ready to print. Just been so BUSY that i havent had time to print it. But i am not complaining about being busy thats for sure.

Shift Designs

I have to agree with Westcoast Sign Guy, there is way to much time spent doing NOTHING, walking around, back and forth, around the building, etc. All this video shows me, is there was a lack of planning and procrastination most of the time, not very productive.

I think about 3/4 of the video shows nothing but people moving around, like the guy drinking the pop. I wouldn't want to show my customer this, they would be thinking the install labor is inflated.

Try and edit the video, show a few frames setting up, then right into the actual banner attachment.

IMO
:toasting:

Thanks for the constructive criticism and suggestions. It is appreciated.

Shift Designs

tldw.... I agree with the previous comments regarding length.
If you feel the need for the video to be 7+ mins, why not break it up?
Let 2-3mins be screenshots of layout, 2mins of the printer firing it through and getting hemmed and then another two for hanging.

p.s. I can barely stand the RHCP remixed
I was wrong, I hate it

Noted. To each his own with music.

Shift Designs

For what it's worth.

Thanks for the strap trick.

Shift Designs

All in all after to making the vid, there was a ton of stuff i would have done different. I for the most part would have probably done time lapse, instead of video. I think it would have been easier to chop down the edit and dead spots. I appreciate all comments and suggestions.

J

john1

You took way too long climbing that ladder Chris, I counted 15 seconds too long in real time!....lol

boxerbay

benny hill for sure.

Problem: the most important info is the smallest on the banner. phone and web addy should be larger and legible from the street. it is barely legible from where the camera is.

For those types of signs i like to review it at 5% view from across the room to get a feel for what stands out at a distance.

also i would've went with .040 4x8 blanks with a laminated decal. lays flat and lasts longer cuz it's laminated. in 6 months that banner will look tired.

PS: live and learn. I screwed up plenty of my first ones but i've learned from them.

J Hill Designs

...and I believe its against osha reg's to crawl to a roof like that from a ladder unless the ladder is 3'-4' extended past the roof line...just FYI