• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quick Exterior Install Video

signguy 55

Either you love the death metal band Deicide, or you misspelled the word "Designs" in your link to "Deisgns".

Sure was a lot of standing around.

Ghost Prophet

benny hill for sure.

Problem: the most important info is the smallest on the banner. phone and web addy should be larger and legible from the street. it is barely legible from where the camera is.

For those types of signs i like to review it at 5% view from across the room to get a feel for what stands out at a distance.

also i would've went with .040 4x8 blanks with a laminated decal. lays flat and lasts longer cuz it's laminated. in 6 months that banner will look tired.

PS: live and learn. I screwed up plenty of my first ones but i've learned from them.

I didn't even realize it had a phone # and web address on it until I read this post. >.<

HulkSmash

Your install was fine. For a temp. Banner id say 2% of EVERYONE LIVING use tracking. You can take your time doing this install because it's for yourself. People here say, they can install a banner alone that size, yeah im sure you can..... - but i always send 2 guys out in the field to do banners that size, just for the sake of doing it right the first time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm just astonished and can't think of a thing to say.

I can't believe what I just saw take place..... especially in public.

Simply amazing.........​

............ and you posted this, why ??​

So, in real time, how long did this installation time take for three guys from the time you got there until you were packed up ??

Shift Designs

I'm just astonished and can't think of a thing to say.

I can't believe what I just saw take place..... especially in public.

Simply amazing.........​

............ and you posted this, why ??​

So, in real time, how long did this installation time take for three guys from the time you got there until you were packed up ??

You guys are a trip. But thanks for keeping the post alive.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
You've had plenty of constructive criticism . So I'll ask, what kind of camera or attachment did you use to take a photo every few seconds? I'd also like to know how long you spent installing this banner?

Shift Designs

You've had plenty of constructive criticism . So I'll ask, what kind of camera or attachment did you use to take a photo every few seconds? I'd also like to know how long you spent installing this banner?

It wasn't time lapsed. If i had to do it over i would have done it time lapsed. It was recorded with a Canon HD HFS20. Of course the HD doesn't matter much after the online compression. As far as a rig, we popped open my buddies SUV hatch and put it there on a tripod.

As far as how long it took, i think i will leave that open. I am sure someone here will end up taking the time to figure out how much it is sped up, and then calculate what that is after you slow it down to regular speed. hehe.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Whoa cowboy.............

How come you answer the questions that you like, but you can't answer the most easiest of them all ??
How long did this installation time take for three guys from the time you got there until you were packed up ??

I'm not tripping nor trying to keep your thread alive.... just asking a question.

If you don't know, I'll understand.

Shift Designs

Whoa cowboy.............

How come you answer the questions that you like, but you can't answer the most easiest of them all ??
How long did this installation time take for three guys from the time you got there until you were packed up ??

I'm not tripping nor trying to keep your thread alive.... just asking a question.

If you don't know, I'll understand.

NAW PARTNER!

Since everyone analyzed then vid down to someone taking a drink of water, thought they might enjoy the challenge of analyzing that too. hehe

Desert_Signs

Besides the tips the other guys posted, I'd be really careful balancing your drill on the top of the wall like that. A unexpected gust of wind or not setting it down right and off it goes. If you're lucky, it will just break your drill. If unlucky - well, we won't go there. Get yourself a drill "holster". You can get them at Home Depot for under $20. Also, please extend your ladder at least 2 rungs over the roofline. Yes, you can get away with doing it that way 100 times... But it only takes once to kill you.

For reference, I could install that banner in about 45 minutes (from arriving at the job site to leaving the site) by myself with 1 ladder. Probably less. If you do it the way the other poster referenced (secure one top corner and then use a strap or rope to pull up the other end) you'll find you'll never (or very rarely) need to get on the roof at all.

Shift Designs

Besides the tips the other guys posted, I'd be really careful balancing your drill on the top of the wall like that. A unexpected gust of wind or not setting it down right and off it goes. If you're lucky, it will just break your drill. If unlucky - well, we won't go there. Get yourself a drill "holster". You can get them at Home Depot for under $20. Also, please extend your ladder at least 2 rungs over the roofline. Yes, you can get away with doing it that way 100 times... But it only takes once to kill you.

For reference, I could install that banner in about 45 minutes (from arriving at the job site to leaving the site) by myself with 1 ladder. Probably less. If you do it the way the other poster referenced (secure one top corner and then use a strap or rope to pull up the other end) you'll find you'll never (or very rarely) need to get on the roof at all.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Shift Designs

A couple of guys on here posted about how fast a project like this can be finished. What kind of Hammer Drill do you guys use?

I don't have any comments on the install. Who am I to criticize how long it takes someone to do something? I say good for you, you knew what you wanted to do and you did it!
However....
Am I the only one who thinks that if you glance at the logo it looks like it says "Shit Designs"????????

Shift Designs

I don't have any comments on the install. Who am I to criticize how long it takes someone to do something? I say good for you, you knew what you wanted to do and you did it!
However....
Am I the only one who thinks that if you glance at the logo it looks like it says "Shit Designs"????????

was takin into consideration when we named the company. But there were other factors behind the name and meaning of the name. If someone sees that and thinks that, and keeps driving, not sweat, dont really need that type of clientele.

Brands Imaging

A couple of guys on here posted about how fast a project like this can be finished. What kind of Hammer Drill do you guys use?

Hilti....5/32 bit (undersized for older brick if needed) and depot 1/4" tapcons...

OR - so you dont kill yourself next time and you could do a partial wrap in the time it took your install, sub it out.

signmeup

The banner could use some blank area at either end. It doesn't look good crowded to the edges like that and would read better.

signage

The title of this thread is misleading, maybe it should have been just called and exterior banner install video! Quick is one thing it is not.

Desert_Signs

On soft stuff like brick or block, I use my cordless Ridgid hammer (really just a regular drill with an impact function) drill with 3/16" tapcons. Works fine. On concrete, I get out my Bosch bulldog hammer. It works MUCH better, but more awkward and I have to have power on site. Still use tapcons though. For banners, they work great. Unless the wall is EIFS/Dryvit. That stuff sucks. You can get extra long screws and hope there's a solid substrate under there, you can try using the big threaded drywall anchors, or you can use rope. It's just not fun stuff.