Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick question please regarding Premium Vinyl that doesn't stick straight away.

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by simpson246, Sep 7, 2012.

1. simpson246

simpson246 Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Hi all,

I recently purchased from American (I'm situated in the U.K) the set of 3 Justin Pate - learn to wrap CD's.

I've currently watched the first which I think is great and very helpful although I have a quick question.

On the video's, they use a vinyl which they state is 'premium vinyl' and whats different towards the vinyl I currently use is that it doesn't stick right away.

I believe this would be brilliant for bumpers etc so I'm wondering which brands and makes should I be looking for to get this premium vinyl that doesnt stick until squeegeed,

I would guess 3M and Avery will be recommended but any particular ones that would fit my requirements?

Many thanks,

Tags:
  2. wildside

wildside Very Active Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Kansas
    anything with air-egress (comply)

3m, avery, oracal, ritrama, arlon, etc, seems like there is a line of it by every brand, personal experience will let you decide which one you like to use based on multiple factors, personally i think avery is the easiest to install, but only use 3m when wrapping

3. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

nope no 3M anymore remember! no no no ;)

4. Scott Reynolds

Scott Reynolds Active Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I would guess your wrong. Those two would be the last ones recommended. What are you using now? I've got Oracal in my printer as I type this.

5. ironchef

ironchef Very Active Member

May 1, 2012
    Miami, FL
    Oracal 3751ra is nice. I tried a sample today. Call oracal and request a sample roll kit. They're big in the uk. So is hexis. No 3m!!!

6. simpson246

simpson246 Member

Aug 28, 2012

wow okay haha, I don't currently use any as of yet as just looking to go into wrapping although would like a bit of a play with the vinyl before I go on a wrapping course.

It's not vinyl for printing I'm after, just plain colours with the pressure sensitive vinyl.

I have purchased some wrap vinyl which I was going to try although this isn't pressure sensitive and sticks right away which is obviously harder to apply.

Here is a link for it:

http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/vehiclewrappingvws1.asp

Gloss KPMF Wrap with Airelease

The KPMF vehicle wrapping films with Airelease are a specially developed 100 micron hybrid film with the air release adhesive that makes application easier by allowing any air trapped during application to escape down the micro channels in the adhesive structure.

So I'm thinking about just getting some vinyl of a known brand with pressure sensitive adhesive.

thanks,

7. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    Those are the only 2 I would recommend or use.

8. johnnysigns

johnnysigns Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2004
    East Coast
    The Avery 1005 & 1360 combo and the Supreme wrapping cast materials are quite nice. I'd use the 1005/1360 any day over 3M 180cV3/8519. Aside from 3M/Original Wraps drama, I haven't been happy w/ the latest batches of 180cV3 and the 1080c. The adhesive seems more aggressive and the air egress doesn't work as well as it used to.

Just my 0.02c

9. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    How could we forget? Don't forget that there are good 1080 alternatives too. The withdrwl process doesn't take but only a few hours.

10. simpson246

simpson246 Member

Aug 28, 2012
    hi all, thanks for the input.

I've just heard back from Spandex and received a quote of £550 + VAT so roughly £660 for a 25m Roll.

I think that price is pretty steep.. even though it does have a 12 year life which isn't really needed.

I'm wondering what other brands out there fit my requirements? It would need the airealease technology and I would like it to have the pressure sensitive adhesive - I don't think 12 year life is needed either, many 5-7 years or so.

Any recommendations please?

(United Kingdom Supplier needed)

Many thanks,

11. Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    Orajet is WAY more grabby than the Avery RS and 180C v1

12. JoshLoring

JoshLoring Very Active Member

Not the 3751ra.. Try all 3 outside in 100 temp and you'll like Oracal the best.. Try them all indoors where it's cool and it still out performs.

13. Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    LOL That's possible...but I won't be installing any wrap outside in those temps. Might as well be painting the vehicle graphics on at that point.
    straight lines turn to wavy ones without masking tape and I hate using masking tape on wraps. I will consider it though...if they've changed the adhesive formula from 2 years ago.

14. eahicks

eahicks Very Active Member

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    And have fun removing any Oracal wraps in the future. Block out a day and a half for anything done with 3551.

15. simpson246

simpson246 Member

Aug 28, 2012
    i've start wrapping using Hexis HX20000 and pretty impressed with it.