• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

R Tape VinylEFX - chrome vinyl. is it suitable for whole car wrap?

Farhat

Did anyone use this material for car wrapping? Does anyone know chrome vinylEfx suitable for car wrapping or not? i have some customers who is willing to wrap the whole chrome car. they want perfect chrome look but only wrap not paint. is it good chrome R Tape VinylEFX?

Pat Whatley

No. The stuff doesn't conform well at all. Plus it's not going to give them a "chrome" look. There would be too much distortion in the vinyl from waves in the paint and slight buckling in the body panels. He'll never be able to get it to look "right" even if the wrap is perfect. Same reason you can't stick chrome vinyl on the wall and call it a mirror.

Pro Image

why r u trying to change my mind? there are chrome vinyl wraps. but im looking for the right product..everyone knows that there is the chrome paint but there also vinyls..thats what im looking for

Best thing for you to do is to quit being a CHEAP ASS and order some samples of the vinyl your looking at and try it yourself.......You apparently have no regards for the answers the others have gave you so spend the money and get the samples.......

klemgraphics

Even if it is possible using some unknown chrome vinyl, how do you expect to be able to install it? I mean a wrap for someone with no experience would be next to impossible to be done correctly, and you might as well forget chrome looking like anything when it is finished.:banghead:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Although this chrome vinyl idea is not a good one for most applications... the OP still has a valid question. It exists and he has been torn to shreds for asking a question.... which turns out.... he's been right all along.

Fartie, since you aren't getting your answers here, perhaps no one here has the slightest idea about your predicament. Possibly you should try your questions elsewhere since they all appear to be over anyone's head or knowledge in this hemisphere.

andy

why r u trying to change my mind? there are chrome vinyl wraps. but im looking for the right product..everyone knows that there is the chrome paint but there also vinyls..thats what im looking for

I don't know why people are obsessed with "wrap vinyl".... when I first started wrapping vehicles NO ONE used "wrap vinyl" because "wrap vinyl" hadn't even been invented. If you are are a handy installer you don't need "wrap vinyl"... you can use any decent cast film and do the same job.

The company you keep referring to is a UK company... I'm from the UK and I've got ALL the colour charts from EVERY SINGLE European vinyl manufacturer.... Chrome wrapping vinyl is in NONE of the swatches laid in front of me, not one.

The UK company with the nifty pictures of Chrome vinyl wraps has been in the wrapping game a long time.... these vehicles are wrapped in exterior grade Chrome polyester foils which have been applied by lads with a LOT of patience and a LOT of skill.

Give up searching for mysterious European Chrome wrapping materials.... they simply don't exist. If you want to wrap with Chrome you're going to have to learn how to work Polyester foil to a VERY high standard and figure out the "special techniques" used by the UK company are.

Unless you are really prepared to put time, effort and money into practicing to perfection I'd follow Fred's advice and look at the liquid Chrome alternatives... BUT... you'll find that spraying these Chrome paints isn't easy either, in most cases you'll need special spray guns which cost quite a bit of money.

luggnut

i have tried the spray chrome and it is tough to get it right.. on a full covered car ...man you would have to be a good painter.

the surface has to be painted (black i think only) and cleared then buff and polished to a perfect slick finish to lay the chrome on .. if the finish isn't perfect the chrome will looked scratched ... and it will suck.

Flame

Did anyone use this material for car wrapping? Does anyone know chrome vinylEfx suitable for car wrapping or not? i have some customers who is willing to wrap the whole chrome car. they want perfect chrome look but only wrap not paint. is it good chrome R Tape VinylEFX?

You really don't give up do ya?

Unless you are an amazing installer, you aren't pulling it off. There are some tricks to making chrome a little more workable, but just wrapping a car... is HARD. Wrapping a car in chrome, would take an amazing amount of skill and patience. To better understand this you'd have to first understand how the chrome effect is acheived by either paint/ film. Not the same as ... say, a gloss black.

Idea Design

Insanity:

The act of doing something over and over again hoping for a different result each time.

Or in this case, asking the same question over and over hoping for a different answer.

I'm not sure there are any more ways to ask this exact question.

Many of the industry's leading professionals frequent this site, and I'm here to tell you that many of them have given you viable answers. It's as though you cannot hear or read.

My advice is the same as Pro Image gave you: Wanna know if a specific product works? Order it and try it. Then come back to one of your fifteen threads asking the same question and post results.

Good mercy my head hurts.

Malkin

Perhaps you should consider a process of wrapping first, then painting the vinyl wrap with chrome paint. I have no idea if this would be viable, just an idea that could be fleshed out.

artsnletters

the chrome paint is expensive as hell, extremely hard to successfully apply, and generally doesn't look quite like chrome in the end. It usually more resembles a polished aluminum look. As far as the metalized polyester goes, most of us already know what a PITA it is to work with, that isn't even taking into consideration what a biatch it is to remove if it's been on a while.
Those pics Farhat posted before certainly appeared that someone WAS wrapping with chrome material but i'm with the others saying to wrap a car with metalized polyester would be impossible. So until others have a source on a wrap-able chrome vinyl i'd think it's a wild goose chase. Maybe because metalized surfaces wouldn't have the ability to stretch and conform in the manner that newer vinyl wrap substrates do, the metal would crack i would think.
Tim

Gypsy

Chrome wrapping vinyl. Ok here is the secret get your polyester foil film apply it to a cast film, We use 3M IJ180cv3 then over laminate it with 8518. You now have a chrome wrapping film. It is NOT for a novice you must be highly skilled to even try it. Overseas they are applying it to there standard 3M 180-10 then over laminating. Good Luck..

andy

What about profitability and demand?

As I understand it there is an issue over profitability for normal "easy" wraps... how much harder is it going to be finding customers who are prepared to pay REALLY SERIOUS money just for the Chrome finish?

Please don't be under any illusions.... UK companies might be able to wrap using Chrome vinyl BUT this does NOT mean that our roads are awash with Chrome cars, vans and trucks. I hardly see any conventional wraps because people don't want to spend the money.... unsurprisingly I've never once seen a Chrome wrap on the road.

The company who CAN wrap in Chrome vinyl will probably do this kind of work once in a Blue moon simply because the supply of willing customers with deep pockets is very, very limited.

If you were buying a wrap and saw a company able to create amazing Chrome effects you'd be interested in ALL their products not only Chrome. I suspect that more money is made from the Chrome wrap as an advert for the wrappers skill than is made from actually doing the Chrome wrap itself.

Farhat

Chrome wrapping vinyl. Ok here is the secret get your polyester foil film apply it to a cast film, We use 3M IJ180cv3 then over laminate it with 8518. You now have a chrome wrapping film. It is NOT for a novice you must be highly skilled to even try it. Overseas they are applying it to there standard 3M 180-10 then over laminating. Good Luck..

thank you