• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Radiant Heat in Shop

player

I guess it would depend on how long his lease is. That drop ceiling won't be cheap, the insulation, plus the amount of time to install... He won't see any return for some time with his leasehold improvements.

phototec

I guess it would depend on how long his lease is. That drop ceiling won't be cheap, the insulation, plus the amount of time to install... He won't see any return for some time with his leasehold improvements.

Yep, it depends on a lot of things, like three more winters after this paying $325 am month x 6 months of cold weather x 4 years = $7800 in heating bills, which is money spent and gone and nothing to show for it, and if you continue to stay there, this scenario keeps going, how much in ten years?

Ok, maybe he will not have 6 months of winter, but the coldest months of the year are still ahead us and he is already paying $325, so it could go up to $450-$500 on the very cold months when the building is covered in snow?

Or you spend the money now to save on the big heating bills and then at some point you break even and are saving money from then on.

I don't know that he is a renter, and if he is he should talk with the owner to make a deal, maybe deducting the cost for the lowered cveiling from the rent until it's paid for?

You know I don't like to put chewing gum as a patch on a broken pipe, it never works for very long, I like to turn off the water and remove the broken pipe and replace it with a new one, no matter the cost or how much work is involved! :thumb:

Do it right the first time - - And a $325 heating bill for me would only happen once.

I'm all electric and heat 3200 s/f with two high efficiency heat pumps (zoned) and they work real good until we get close to freezing then the electric strip heaters kick in which is rare in in central Texas. Just paid the current electric bill (for everything) was $129.

BTW:
Good news on the alternative energy front: Texas managed to break the U.S. wind energy generation record last Friday morning when it produced 6,272 MW of power–19% of the total electricity mix. The state, which is the country’s wind power leader, got just 6.2 percent of its electricity from wind overall last year.

http://inhabitat.com/texas-breaks-u-s-wind-power-generation-record/

Attachments

• Texas windpower.jpg
    Texas windpower.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 68

Kottwitz-Graphics

The biggest thing that I see is you do have a large shop, but also exposed beams... I'd lay money there is a lot of heat up there....

Like Phototec said, if you add a drop ceiling, it will bring your heat down to where you are... It may be costly to install, but you will see savings in the long run with the heating bill. Once you re-coop your money, then it's money in your pocket.

We just put one of these bad boys in our house.

http://www.harmanstoves.com/Products/PF120-Pellet-Furnace.aspx

We heat our whole house with it (almost 3500 sq feet, including our basement). We had moved in a little over a year ago. Last year before putting in the unit our basement and side rooms were freezing. Now all of our rooms are at 70 degrees. I can heat the whole house for about $160 a month. Dropped it in place right next to our propane furnace and tied it into the existing ductwork.

If you had something like this it would easily heat your entire shop. The unit was a little pricey (about $6K). There are three blower settings on it and we keep ours on the lowest and it easily heats the whole house. I'm thinking putting another pellet stove in our vinyl shop. We order our pellets and they come a ton on a skid. Company drops them off and then we just wheel them to where we want them with a pallet jack. Pretty easy...

Also place we bought it from said that if anything failed on it they would fix it for free -- for as long as we have it -- so essentially I will never buy another furnace ever again...

SqueeGee

We are getting a new shop up and running. It's a 60x160, insulated, steel building with an approx. 20' ceiling. We installed two waste oil furnaces and so far, they are awesome. Our state has a tax credit on them, which helps on the front end cost. We've been able to find several sources for free or virtually free oil. If it continues to go well, I may add one of them at our other shops which we've struggled to keep heated with a geothermal heat pump.

To get the heat down off the ceiling, we've looked at HVLS fans (Google MacroAir or Big *** Fans) but wow! They are spendy. I've been keeping an eye out for some used ones but so far, haven't found any.

OldPaint

your heating the outside.......!!!!!! THRU THE ROOF))))
zero insulation..........means zero heat retention. i know you are renting the space so doing a lot of building a ceiling and insulating it............may not be the best option. think about dropping the ceiling over the work area, putting a wall between where the drive in bay and roll up door is. dont heat it...... only when you have to.....with a torpedo heater.
ceiling fans are the ticket. this my 16 foot tall shop, but i got 6"insulation on the roof.... so heat stays in and A/C also. these fans are from home depot 56" 3 speed, and are right at $100 each 2 of these would be a good investment and if you ever move you can take em with ya....
this my heater, 30k BTU REZNOR i converted it to propane. i got 2 30 pound bottles and between the fan and the heater i can hold a 68-70 degree in there.....in the coldest day we get here.

Attachments

• pottery 063.JPG
    pottery 063.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 60
  • COREL 011.jpg
    COREL 011.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 64

DirtyD

Wow... thanks for all the suggestions and insight....

Yes, everyone is correct, I am renting/leasing we settled on a 1 yr to see if location/building works for me. Lowering the ceiling would not be that hard to accomplish, I have thought about putting up a wall and blocking off the bays, from the work area... gonna sit around and do some indiana hillbilly enginering, build a wall, and and probably just use a torpedo heater to heat it.. seems like most affordable option now, until we decide if were staying or not...

I like the building and location, it's 2 blocks from our downtown/main st and next to high traffic places, but the overhead doors are only 10' can't get to much in there, Were sure we can find what we want for a little less a month too..

But yes... A wall, and a torpedo heater and a few well placed fans to keep the heated air down and just heat the work area, instead of the heat heating the entire bay are as well

player

Instead of fans what about using some duct-work and a squirrel fan (furnace fan) and pull the warm air from the ceiling and blow it back out onto the floor? I have made ducting out of corroplast before...