• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Radio Station, Band Logos, Copyright

acothran

We have a local classic rock radio station that is interested some banners and possible some other products. For the design, I'll design a background and add their existing logo. They mentioned possibly wanting to incorporate band names/logos of the music they play. I'm concerned about copyright issues and was wondering if any of you have encountered this situation? Is there an easy way for radio stations to get the rights to use band logos for promo material? Just thought I would ask.

Allen

Craig Perry

i don't know how it works in the states, however here (as i understand it) have their request in writing and show they paid for the work, and any ramifications goes to the client.

Pat Whatley

Radio stations can get copyright permission through ASCAP or directly through the record labels. It's apparently not a big deal if they're using it for promotional work, One of our local groups of stations uses artist images in all their advertising and emails us full-on press kits for any bands info they want to use.

acothran

Thanks guys.

Pat - That was my thinking. I'm familiar with the ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, etc and figured there was some sort of permission in the dues the station pays to those entities. I also would hate to think a band/record label would sue a radio station that is helping to promote that band....but you never know these days.

Allen

Dan Antonelli

You should have a hold harmless clause in your contract that says you are not responsible if the artwork provided to you infringes on the copyright of others and they agree to hold you harmless in the event it does.

royster13

But remember a "Hold Harmless" clause is only a contractual transfer of liability....Essentially if you are "liable" you transfer the $$$ responsibility to the other party, however, if the other party does not have the resources you will still be on the hook...

iSign

All radio stations do this, I think. I told our local station no way, not worth it. If you need to advertise, you must be doing something wrong.:Canada 2:

yeah, by your standards a lot of us are doing something wrong. It's called marking UP..where several of us came upon this novel idea of selling things for MORE than it cost us to produce... although there is a new breed of bozo out there giving it away... so yeah, some of us advertise... I mean I could move
the the middle of bumphuq nowhere'sville too... but by advertising I can stay in business here & still play this strange capitalist marking up game called business.

copythat

I'm with you on this one Island

MOSH if we didn't have businesses to advertise why are we in business at all! We all do marketing signage for all types of business. Is this not a form of advertising? :banghead:

acothran

Is the radio station wanting to trade the products for commercial time?

Of course they want to trade for commercial time. The specifics of that will be worked out between my boss and the radio station however I never recommend trading 100% of the price of the product. If we cover the cost of materials and labor and get the remaining dollar amount in commercials, it might be worth it. I'm sure there are those who have had luck with radio advertising and those who haven't. We have not advertised with this station, or any for that matter, so it might be a chance test the waters.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Allen

Marlene

All radio stations do this, I think. I told our local station no way, not worth it. If you need to advertise, you must be doing something wrong

lets not ruin this thread by taking this bait.

Marlene

i think it's already getting moshtracked...

yep, I'm afraid you're right. there's some good info concerning logos in the thread and since most of us live in places that have advanced things like radio, it is a good read.