Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rally Stripes

Discussion in 'Vehicle Graphics' started by mudmedia, Aug 28, 2012.

1. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    I have to do some rally stripes on a camaro...What do you the most durable material be to use? I was thinking Oracal 951, Oracal 970RA or 3m 1080 but are those recommended when doing car striping?

Tags:
  2. jbogart

jbogart New Member

Jul 14, 2011
    How wide will the stripes be? If it's thin striping, I'd recommend getting some striping tape, otherwise we've been using the 3M 1080 for all our outdoor graphics and love it for vehicle work.

3. mnapuran

mnapuran Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Plano (Dallas), TX
    We used 970RA matte black on the last one we did....

Attached Files:

4. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    They will be roughly 20" wide. you have good luck with the 970RA?

5. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Did you plotter cut those stripes? Im having to go all the way bumper to bumper so I am going to be making templates with transfer tape then drawing them in flexi

6. mnapuran

mnapuran Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Plano (Dallas), TX
    That's basically what we did... ended up making templates in Flexi, then cutting the final pieces (did trunk lid and custom rear spoiler too)

7. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    looks great!

8. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    PITA, send them to get painted. Unless they are a HEAD, only paint will be good enough.

9. mnapuran

mnapuran Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Plano (Dallas), TX
    Yup... 970RA works well, use it quite a bit.

If you notice in my pic above, we also did the light shelf in matte black. No template for that, just used WrapCut tape to mask where I wanted the line and wrapped it.

Here's a shot of the back, which I also templated and cut with the cutter.

Attached Files:

10. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Well on my '11
    i had it painted and 4 layers of clear afterso you can't fe

el the stripe. i guess it is all in what you want.

11. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    nice job...I just priced out what my options are between avery, 3m, and 970ra I think thats what I will go with...3m is like double the price and for stripes I am not sure if there is a reason for using it...

Mosh I tried to get em to painted..Told em It would take me a while to just make templates to get it to fit right and not look like a noddle going across the car...I recommended paint but they already told the paint guy no because he wanted 800 bucks to paint it...I told em he aint getting stripes for cheaper then that ha

12. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
  13. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    how do I get hooked up with them to buy their products? I dont see pricing or anything

14. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    97RA is good stuff. but if you're not an experienced wrapped and you have to reposition alot the adhesive does come away from the vinyl with oracal...

15. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    yeah everything would be masked when I put on so I doubt ill be re positioning ill be measuring twice for sure

16. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    You would call them. Do your other suppliers list the prices you pay online?

17. watchdaride

watchdaride Member

Dec 20, 2008
    orlando fl
    Ihave a window tint shop and people always ask for racing stripes but too time consuming using 751 vinyl cutting ,premasking, putting on wet . I hear alot about this cutting tape and using airrelease vinyl like 970ra . Is the finish product using the tape good enough to satisfy picky customers . I am gettting some next week and doing a test next week . should work perfect on the curvy bumpers where its had to get an even looking width with all the curves etc.

18. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    800 bucks!? You're gonna lose your shirt on this one. That's gonna take waaay longer than you think. Do a site search for stripes...

19. Really?!?! I install Rallye Stripes on Camaro's quite a bit. Never had it take more than 3 hours and that was because the customer was sitting there watching me and I did not want to make it look too easy. I wish i could get $800 for them!

Attached Files:

20. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    I misunderstood. I thought the OP was putting 20" rally stripes on a real Camaro. You haven't posted a picture of a rally stripe or a Camaro. If you can do 20" rally stripes in 3 hours you're a better man than me. :thumb: