• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RAM addition...

Shovelhead

I can't process this at the moment.
This is the RAM configuration of one of the office computers at work.
The crucial.com scan recommends adding a stick of 1G DDR PC3200.
I can't just stick that in the empty slot??!!!
Wouldn't I have to place it in the first slot and rearrange?
:Cool 2:

Attachments

• Graphic2.jpg
    Graphic2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 243

Replicator

I would put the two 128 sticks in the first 2 slots and then add two 1-gig sticks in the last two slots . . . !

but thats just me . . . !

Techman

why not just buy 2 sticks of 1 gig ram and use the first two slots. You only have 512 ther. That is barely enuf to run XP. 2 gig would get a you running pretty good. And, its cheap.

Shovelhead

why not just buy 2 sticks of 1 gig ram and use the first two slots. You only have 512 ther. That is barely enuf to run XP. 2 gig would get a you running pretty good. And, its cheap.

I was leaning that way....was just wondering how it's possible to drop
in a Gig....would have thought that the larger would have to be in the first slot.
You know of a site that explains this easily for a dope like me?
Preferably with pictures.
:rolleyes:

D

DARLAK

plug it in and turn on the machine, you won't hurt it. if it reads it all then it worked if - not rearange it.

the MB manual will have the different scenerios, it usually is not a standard for all MB's

Shovelhead

plug it in and turn on the machine, you won't hurt it. if it reads it all then it worked if - not rearange it.

the MB manual will have the different scenerios, it usually is not a standard for all MB's

yeh...I've done it plenty of times....seemed odd today.

Techman

If his mobo is of a certain type he will need identical sticks to make the dual channel work in the correct slots. Just dropping in any old stick in any old way works but will not take advantage of possible certain benefits of his mobo.

This is a general question but needs a more specific answer to make his system work to its possible best.

Baz

Whats the motherboard's make and model? The manufacturers website should have information on what type of memory is compatible and how/which slots can be used.

TonyHoles

Find out the type and model of your motherboard. Then see what the maximum memory is. And yes, some boards need matching amounts of memory but most don't. If it's not compatible your system won't boot up.

Bottomline, find the make and model of motherboard and find out the memory speeds that are compatible and the maximum amount allowed per slot and overall.

gl with it

Techman

You counter my useless post with one of equal uselessness?

OOPS

The "some opinions" part should have been preframed with a reference to something else.. it wasnt in reference to your excellent point..

Sorry.

Shovelhead

It's just for Ma....the owner's mother....just does office
related stuff and email....should be happy with what I got.
:thankyou:

SignBurst PCs

Try to keep the RAM sticks identical in brand, model#, and size. I would just replace the 3 "odd" sticks you have with matching pairs of two (or four) 1GB sticks. Your motherboard manufacturer will give you exact DDR population rules, but this is a pretty standard practice.

John M

Keep in mind that anything that's old enough to have 128mb sticks of DDR is also probably so old you won't notice a difference after adding any amount over the existing 512 meg, especially for office/email type use. Taking that thought a bit further, it's also unlikely that the motherboard supports dual channel memory which means that pairing is less important.

The "old" DDR costs more than the current DDR2 - sometimes twice the price for the same amount of memory.