• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

rc wrap

datablitz

I'm thinking about starting to get into wrPs of RC vehicles. Starting with helicopters. I called mactac and they reccomended roughrap after seeing a picture of what I was a plying to because of the conform it and size. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of material and method to try to apply material to these. Here is a picture of the sample my customer gave me to play with.
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_20110420_073640.jpg
    IMG_20110420_073640.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 103

Jillbeans

I don't do wraps and I don't know jack sh!t about RC stuff, but lots of folks on here do.
My worry would be how does the fuel used for these things affect the vinyl/ink?
Also I'm sure weight would be an issue.
Hopefully someone will chime in with real help.
Love....Jill

datablitz

lamination should protect the ink, and i doubt weight would be much a factor. these machines have close to 4 HP and only weigh 9lbs. they can actually carry more than they weigh! ive just got to figure out what material will conform the best, and come up with some radical designs.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
As a former R/C dealer helicopters and planes run in a cleaner enviroment than cars and trucks. Wear and tear would be minimal as opposed to cars running in dirt.

Fuel on the other hand is an issue, that stuff is volitile. Never wrapped anything but painted them. There are fuel proof clear sealers on the market.

I might even have a few small bottles left that could be airbrushed over the final product. PM me if you are interested in experimenting. I would like to see the outcome of your project.

datablitz

I've got some clear spray that is fuel proof. I think just the laminate should hold up on its own though. most people that are going to wrap a canopy or body are going to keep it cleaned off at the end of the day so exposure shouldn't be too bad. I'm trying to come up with some nice designs (I'm not the best designer in the world) hopefully i can make this work.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
FYI, and if you are aware then disregard. The fuel is like oily laquer thinner. Most vehicles have an opening in the body for fueling. And that stuff seeps everywhere.

Just like anyhting else some folks are neat freaks and some are not. If allowed to sit I would have to think the fuel will disript the adhesive especially on the edges.

Best of luck! I hope it works flawlessly for you.

datablitz

just looking for different suggestions on the material to use and if anyone had suggestions on technique. since i am new to this i am just looking for some outside ideas.

i am familiar with the nitro fuels, i myself own nitro powered planes and helis. the fuel exposure on aircraft is typically just exhaust fumes and oils, which is less potent than raw fuel. at the end of the day there is an oily residue coating the entire machine. which is usually cleaned off with Windex or rubbing alcohol.

datablitz

is there anything that is very conformable that can stick to polycarb? the helicopter bodies i am looking at are fiberglass, which should take vinyl well i believe.

TresL

Most of the bigger Heli's use fiberglass, I use a MX type of base materials for the bodies.

schmitty

A regular laminate will not cut it.
You will need a laminate that will take exposure to petroleum-based or other chemicals.

Nitro fuel will turn your wrap into a gooey mess (ask how I know! HA!)

Good Luck!

sghobbies

Those bodies are kinda flimsy. I've had several rc helis. I don't think I would want to tackle that myself.

datablitz

yea, electric is getting to be very popular. but the larger helis are still mostly nitro due to the cost of batteries and flight times. but i need to be prepared for either.