• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Re Drilling Holes

dlndesign

I have a acrylic piece with standoffs and one or two of the standoffs were slightly off when drilled into Drywall. Now the acrylic piece bows enough for the client to have it re-done. My question is, what can I get to fill the holes that were drilled so that I can patch it up and re-drill within the same area, but that quickly dries as the site is roughly an hour away and I do not want to make another trip out there. Any suggestions?

3dsignco

If the patch is to be covered. Acrylic nail Powder.. Same stuff they use for Acrylic fingernails. Its a 2 part system. A liquid and powder. dip your brush in he liquid then in the powder to a ball it up then build up in the hole. Dries in 5 minutes.

Wouldn't do it on a large hole but a small patch it works great.

dlndesign

Really acrylic nails? I've never used that before, but I may try it out first for myself, but in the mean time, is there an expanding foam that has quick-drying properties. And I dont want to take the whole sign down, the location is correct just one or two of the standoffs are slightly off.

J Hill Designs

is it the standoffs with the "screw on" part that goes through the acrylic and screws into the back of the standoff? if so, I would think that the head would be enough oversized that you could just ream out the acrylic hole so that it offers enough movement while still having the front part large enough to cover the hole (hope that made sense)

dlndesign

I would do that, but the hole is close enough to the edge where I wouldn't chance it because it could crack, then wahla a new sign is born.
Its just the wall I want to fix, not the acrylic.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How far do you have to move these holes around ?? Is it more than 1/8"

Can you post a picture of the sign in it's present state [bowed] ??

GB2

Old Member
Fix the wall with some 20-90 minute joint compound. It's available everywhere and dries quickly and hard so you could remount the sign shortly afterward. It's basically regular joint compound with a high content of Plaster of Paris. If for some strange reason you can't find that you could use straight Plaster of Paris, the Durhams Water Putty, Minwax Wood Filler, or Bondo. You really don't want anything too hard or you'll have a hard time remounting the sign.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Then just drill out you hole in the wall..... egg shaped, until it fits properly, cement it in and the standoff should cover that little amount. If not, get a new standoff with a bigger bottom to hide your screw up. Then get matching ones for the other points of connection. Always make a mistake look like it was intentional by covering it up.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I would do that, but the hole is close enough to the edge where I wouldn't chance it because it could crack, then wahla a new sign is born.
Its just the wall I want to fix, not the acrylic.

If the wall is broken, fix the wall. If the sign is broken fix the sign. To do otherwise is to break something that's sound to accommodate something that's broken.

Regardless of what you do, know that it's 'voila' not 'wahla'.