• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Real World Color Management

bbeens

Finally got around to reading Real World Color Management again -> http://www.amazon.com/World-Color-Management-Bruce-Fraser/dp/0201773406 <-

Fantastic book. I really enjoyed the first few chapters on color as an 'event'. The chapter on automation and DeviceLink profiles was also very informative. For $30 it is a must buy for anyone interested in the topic. My only complaints are, the book is a bit dated. Several chapters are dedicated to application specific topics. I could care less about QuarkXpress. An updated revision would be much appreciated.

What books are on your recommended reading list for color management?

Bryan

rfulford

The three that are on my shelf are as follows:

Real World Color Management
Understanding Color Management
Postscriptum on Color Management

Rodi

Color Management books rarely get republished. The issue is not that technology changes, but rather the books do not address the issue for the printer. They usually are technocrats who put the process backwards, instead of making the images mimic whichever printing device, they try to make the printing device match whatever desired device earlier in the process. This fails at all levels.

bbeens

Tovis - The book I have was printed in 2006.

Rodi - I agree the theory is very well covered and stands up to time. Real World Color Management just spends alot of pages on print options for several applications and different OSes. Back to Mac 9. As for putting the process backwards, I don't see that issue with this book. Example being the very good chapter about creating a workflow that suits your needs. Late or early binding.

rfulford - Thanks for the other two titles. I will check them out. Recently I've been spending more time looking at how the major profiling packages do the math side of things. Also interesting to see if X-rite will continue using iterative patch creation as seen with the ColorMunki device. Although they seem slow on moving away from the ProfileMaker / Monaco products.

Bryan