• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Really Liking Windows 7

Replicator

I'm running an evauation copy of windows 7 (se7en) and it is by far vista on steroids.

Better UAC control . . . It doesn't ask me to confirm the permissions I have already given.

Better Taskbar and the ability to PIN folders to the taskbar.

Better network access and ease of functionality with networking.

So much more I can't go on . . . But so far I like it much better than Vista.

NOTE : I am a Vista HATER . . . !

SignBurst PCs

Yeah, I have been running 7 (64 Bit) on my laptop since the day it was released. There are a few minor annoyances, but otherwise it has been stable and fast. I like it too.

I have had very few problems with "everyday" software, although Google's browser "Chrome" needed a little tweak to run on 7. All of my "Office" software runs fine as well as the anti-virus from AVG (that was released in a beta form as well, just for 7).

I am not a Vista hater, but I think that I am going to like the final "RTM" version on 7 better.

Techman

But,, the program list requires too many clicks to start a program..

Will not work with legacy vid cards.

New Taskbar really sux..

Stupid shut down procedure.. Why do they insist on making it 5 clicks. Just put a shut down button there... geeeses

pinned icons are a pain and space waster.

The search method is worse than that stupid doggie search system. Why not just use the older but well liked way.

Windows desktop goodies do not work when UAC is off. Why bother with this,, make it either turn or turn off and not bother anything else...

Other good stuff.. The bloated load of junk most of us do not need are gone.. DVD burner is gone, live messenger is finally gone, windows mail is gone.. Al good riddance.

The jump list seems a good idea.

And the recover from hibernate is much nicer..

And having to reinstall it after teh beta period is over. Why not just give us real beta testers a real key?

I filed my report and got back some positive feedback. But i still believe that some of those negatives will remain.

Replicator

But,, the program list requires too many clicks to start a program..

Shortcuts or quicklaunch which is now built in to taskbar

Will not work with legacy vid cards.

Probably true

New Taskbar really sux..

I think it's the best windows taskbar yet and the most versatile

Stupid shut down procedure.. Why do they insist on making it 5 clicks. Just put a shut down button there... geeeses

Mine is 2 clicks

pinned icons are a pain and space waster.

I found pinning to be a great new feature

The search method is worse than that stupid doggie search system. Why not just use the older but well liked way.

The search is easier than ever with the dialog box at the start button

Windows desktop goodies do not work when UAC is off. Why bother with this,, make it either turn or turn off and not bother anything else...

Turn UAC down to a mid level setting and the desktop goodies work just fine

Other good stuff.. The bloated load of junk most of us do not need are gone.. DVD burner is gone, live messenger is finally gone, windows mail is gone.. Al good riddance.

the is a DVD burner, Messenger and Windows Mail included with Windows 7

The jump list seems a good idea.

Agreed

And the recover from hibernate is much nicer..

Again agreed

And having to reinstall it after teh beta period is over. Why not just give us real beta testers a real key?

Tough break

I filed my report and got back some positive feedback. But i still believe that some of those negatives will remain.

:omg2:

Replicator

Yeah, I have been running 7 (64 Bit) on my laptop since the day it was released. There are a few minor annoyances, but otherwise it has been stable and fast. I like it too.

I have had very few problems with "everyday" software, although Google's browser "Chrome" needed a little tweak to run on 7. All of my "Office" software runs fine as well as the anti-virus from AVG (that was released in a beta form as well, just for 7).

I am not a Vista hater, but I think that I am going to like the final "RTM" version on 7 better.

My release was put out 2 days ago and is closer to the final version than the one you are running . . .

I'm sure there are improvements as well as features you do not have.

SignBurst PCs

What build # are you using? Where did you get it? I am using 7057, and it is not all that old. I think it is a couple weeks old.

I am not going to try and keep up with all of the new builds. I will probably skip them until the RC in May. It is too much time to keep reloading clean installs. I hear that you can "upgrade" from one build to another, but ppl are having issues with that.

Techman

yes there is a wide range of varied opinions... I like speed usage. I don't need a lot of pretty.. just gimme speed.
My feelings are on the other end for sure...

My release was put out 2 days ago and is closer to the final version than the one you are running . . .
Ya, where did u git yers??? Never Mind,, must be 7063,,,

That explains a few things anyway..

The search is easier than ever with the dialog box at the start button

No,, it brings up a list of options... Just gimme a search window.

Turn UAC down to a mid level setting and the desktop goodies work just fine

Many of us want to shut it down completely. Why run it when doing repair or research work on it? UAC is a pain and unneeded in some cases...

I found pinning to be a great new feature
Yes, but then when you want to move them out of the way for some reason,, then it shows how much of a pain it really is. on smaller monitors... Why not let them wander as before in Vista Fistula?

Shortcuts or quicklaunch which is now built in to taskbar

That has nothing to do with the program list not auto listing in the start menu..
Why make a user click thru a scroll list then click on a menu , then click to start a program that does not have a shortcut elsewhere?

So, if they have listened to the thousands of others who mentioned the same challenges , It look like they are changing options...

Last edited:

coyote

I'm also curious about what will work with 7-I don't want to replace everything like I did when I went to XP and I've been avoiding getting a new laptop because of the Vista issues. I like the setup I've got right now, but I know I'll need to update at some point.

So, anyone from Flexi want to let us know what versions will be compatible?
C

SignBurst PCs

I'm also curious about what will work with 7-I don't want to replace everything like I did when I went to XP and I've been avoiding getting a new laptop because of the Vista issues. I like the setup I've got right now, but I know I'll need to update at some point.

So, anyone from Flexi want to let us know what versions will be compatible?
C

It wouldn't make sense for any software developer to start saying what is compatible or not compatible yet. We are still in beta form and don't even have a release candidate (RC). It is sure to change before being released. When we have a final version, then you will start hearing software companies saying yes or no. You can ask those users that are installing the Windows 7 beta, they may be able to let you know which builds (versions) of the beta work with certain software.

Techman

I wonder if Flexi will continue to work with this platform?

Don't know about flexi.. However I just tested several other dongle programs including some fancy smancy accounting packages and a CAD/CAM, and a milling software (for a engineering company) and all are running fine. Plus I am running win 7 on a P4 2.4 gig machine and its perfect happy.

Joe Diaz

Those of you that have 7, how do you like the new windows explorer? I haven't used 7 yet, but I heard the new "libraries" system is a great way to organize and quickly find your content. What do you guys think?

synergy_jim

It is my understanding from a few pretty good sources that 7 will be 99.9% compatible with anything that is running on vista. Its not a new release, just what vista was supposed to be.... think of it as vista 2.0

I'm still not switching back from my mac.... maybe I'll get a copy and run it on vmware

jiarby

Hopefully this O/S will complete the migration to 64bit computing and manufacturers will give up writing 32bit apps & drivers.
Then I can do something with x64pc.net (a domain I snagged years ago, but is undeveloped now!)