• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

... really...

ucmj22

So Im doing another concession trailer wrap and the other day the guy calls me and says he is going to have his son-in-laws brother who is a professional photographer for a newspaper do a photoshoot with his food Items. I'm thinking, Great! I dont have to deal with point and shoot 8mp images with an aluminum foil background for once.
Well, he sent me the images today and the attached is indicative of the images. all poorly cut out on a white background that has been flattened together and they were shooting with the aperture wide open so only half of the food is in focus.... can I get a break

Attachments

• italiansmall.jpg
    italiansmall.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 75

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That doesn't even look at all appetizing. Looks like some dead bug with it's legs sticking up in the air on a roll with crap poured all over it.

Come to think of it... it looks like Old Paint's supper )))))))))))))))))):)))))))))

HulkSmash

Think that is bad? Check these out customer had us and mount them to dibond and she has them hung around her stand. So freaking disgusting.
chit looks like straight diarrhea

Attachments

• New Dogs.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 100
  • 20090512114616403.pdf
    278.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 20090512114409881.pdf
    315.5 KB · Views: 90

fresh

why do people insist on having pictures of their food on the menu? unless they are a professional food photographer, it almost never looks appetizing. i hate making shitty looking signs.

Mike F

Those are some nasty lookin' hotdogs. I'd take one from 7-11 with the free chili & cheese over any of those, any day.

why do people insist on having pictures of their food on the menu? unless they are a professional food photographer, it almost never looks appetizing. i hate making shitty looking signs.

+1 on this, people don't seem to understand that 90% of the food you see in ads and commercials isn't actually food, and even when it is real, it's generally treated with something to make it look more appetizing. Not to mention photographing people and photographing food are two entirely different animals to begin with.

ucmj22

Bwahha ha! Those dogs are horrible! the owner here is actually a concessionaire first, and he says that they need pics of food because of the level of illiteracy among fair goers. I would tend to believe him.

Jillbeans

Is that dirt or fly specks on the bun?
Hahaha
What is there stand called?
"Aunt Flo's Dog Turds"?
Love....Jill

petepaz

as long as you hit the beer tent for about an hour there should be not problem that's when the food looks good

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Look at any fast food restaurant menu board. The stuff you get on the tray sure doesn't look like what's pictured on the menu.

I think your client believes in truth in advertising. Do the job.

JB

ucmj22

Look at any fast food restaurant menu board. The stuff you get on the tray sure doesn't look like what's pictured on the menu.

I think your client believes in truth in advertising. Do the job.

JB

Oh, the jobs gonna get done. It just won't be one of the ones that makes it on the website

phototec

So Im doing another concession trailer wrap and the other day the guy calls me and says he is going to have his son-in-laws brother who is a professional photographer for a newspaper do a photoshoot with his food Items. I'm thinking, Great! I dont have to deal with point and shoot 8mp images with an aluminum foil background for once.
Well, he sent me the images today and the attached is indicative of the images. all poorly cut out on a white background that has been flattened together and they were shooting with the aperture wide open so only half of the food is in focus.... can I get a break

Man that is bad...

That is horrible food photography, no depth of field, and very flat lighting. Although my first job after getting out of the Army was as a newspaper photographer, years later when I started doing commercial studio photography, (learned lighting from the master, Dean Collins), I learned that for all close up work you need to shoot a very high apertures for greater depth of field to keep focus from falling off, as in your example.

As they say, garbage in, garbage out.

I have to disagree with those who say take the money and run, the problem is when someone says who did this crap, they will tell them you did the work, and forget the part about them supplying the bad photos.

Nope, I'm not that hard up for money, I have standards and a long earned reputation, no thanks, I pass on crap jobs like that. Not worth the reputation you get, let the cheapo guy down the street get the bad jobs!

:banghead:

ucmj22

Nope, I'm not that hard up for money, I have standards and a long earned reputation, no thanks, I pass on crap jobs like that. Not worth the reputation you get, let the cheapo guy down the street get the bad jobs!

:banghead:

*sigh* If only it was my decision to make...

signswi

Took us years to train one of our photographers to shoot food at a former job (in-house designer in a marketing department, not a sign shop). It's probably one of the trickiest things to do well and that's why it costs so damn much to hire photo pros for a food shoot.

I'm definitely with everyone who says keep the photos off if you didn't hire a photog who knows what they're doing. Menu design/restaurant advertising is hard enough without having to deal with food that looks like it will kill you just for looking at it. I'm also a strong proponent of velvet rope theory.

Impact Image

I'd probably eat it before I printed it.

I feel your pain. Anybody else have a good client whose new girl friend is a "graphic designer"?

:frustrated: