• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recent Phototex wall for museum.

tbullo

Superunknown
This is a recent job we did for the Mariners' Museum. The wall was 14' tall and 50' long and had a slight s-curve to it. We used the Phototex exs on this job. It was the first time using the exs and it worked very good.

Attachments

• 1104141133.jpg
    1104141133.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 247
  • 1104141134.jpg
    1104141134.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 182

Gene@mpls

Very nice- I went to the museum this fall- fabulous place. The Monitor gallery was outstanding and I remember seeing blueprints on the wall but I am not sure that I
saw this. Are you around Newport News? Gene

OK- now I see NN in your signature:banghead:- edit

tbullo

Superunknown
We just installed this last week. This is the hall that leads to the Monitor exhibit. We do a good amount of work there and for the Noland trail.

tbullo

Superunknown
Looks great! Nice job, must have been neat doing an install there.

Did the curve pose any additional challenges or was is subtle enough to not make a huge difference?

If you don't mind me asking, what was it printed on and did you use a liquid laminate?

The first curve was a little trouble for lining up the first two pieces. After that it wasn't enough to cause a problem. It was printed in 12 52''wide vertical pieces on a hp8000. No liquid laminate was used.

The EXS is just a higher tack version for the solvent printer. It is not any more opaque then the regular phototex.

brycesteiner

Very nice.

How easy is it to apply compared to other vinyl?

Did you have to use a certain paint on the wall first? Any white primer?

tbullo

Superunknown
Very nice.

How easy is it to apply compared to other vinyl?

Did you have to use a certain paint on the wall first? Any white primer?

Phototex is very easy to apply. Just make sure to cut seams cleanly or it will run. The wall was painted by the museum with an eggshell paint. We gave them samples and they picked the EXS version over the standard Phototex.

SignManiac

Although I'm a big fan of PhotoTex, I have found that it can be problematic on knock down textured walls. I used the high tack on my man cave wall and have noticed in areas where it's not adhering at all. The spots look like blisters where it lifted. It can't fall off because I used trim over it top and bottom but I think it's better suited for flatter surfaces. But the material itself is very nice. My wall is an extreme application.

Attachments

• chairs.jpg
    chairs.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 193

jpena9137

This is a recent job we did for the Mariners' Museum. The wall was 14' tall and 50' long and had a slight s-curve to it. We used the Phototex exs on this job. It was the first time using the exs and it worked very good.

Do you mind me asking approximately how you go about pricing something like this? I usually do smaller stuff (stickers and such), but someone asked me to do a larger wall and its my first time pricing it out. Not quite as big as your job, but do you typically do a flat per sq/ft charge or give lower rates depending on volume?

copythat

Nice!

Great looking job. I've been using a brand-X, and haven't had a problem. But Walls that I did in my place have area that are not adhering properly. I believe is due to not cleaning off the surface correctly. Where ever I did clean after 2 years is still doing well. But after seeing you job I am determined to try Photo-Tex.

Thanks for the post!

tbullo

Superunknown
Do you overlap panels using PhotoTex or double cut like wallpaper?

Cut like wallpaper. If you just overlap, it leaves a dark stripe where it is lapped. As far as pricing goes, we try to stick to the sqft. pricing. Maybe add a little more for a curved wall.

Photo Tex Solvent Block-Out

We do now have the NEW Photo Tex OPAS which is the Solvent Opaque block-out material and I made the tack in between the High Tack and Normal Photo Tex to meet those more textured surfaces. It also has a brighter white point . I do have a sample test roll we will send to anyone if you just e mail me walterjr@phototexgroup.com. The current container arrived and sold out, the next container arrives Dec10th but also almost sold out and then another one January 15th (which we should be fully stocked 30",42",54" and 60" widths). FYI!

DeeHutch

Cut like wallpaper. If you just overlap, it leaves a dark stripe where it is lapped. As far as pricing goes, we try to stick to the sqft. pricing. Maybe add a little more for a curved wall.

Ive always used a small overlap, but have never been happy with the outcome. What exactly do you mean when you say cut like wallpaper? I've never hung wallpaper, so this may be the reason I'm asking! Lol, thanks for your help.

tbullo

Superunknown
Here is a image of a double cut. Just Google "wallpaper double cut". We use this because it looks better than overlaps. The overlaps tend to leave dark stripes.

Attachments

• doublecut.jpg
    doublecut.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 172