• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recently repainted truck...

bendeane

I've got a company that just repainted a dump truck (done at a reputable body shop). The body shop recommends waiting 30 days to apply graphics. I'm applying some light identification (DOT numbers and business logo, web address) over flat surfaces. I use General Formulations 230 for most decal jobs and I'm wondering if it is an issue with the adhesive ruining the paint before it cures or the paint curing over time affecting the adhesive of the vinyl, or both?

The client's response to the body shop was "It's a dump truck, who gives a ..." so I'm wondering what I might tell my client to expect if we go ahead and disregard the body shop's recommendation to wait 30 days...

Thanks for the input.

Jillbeans

I'd wait 30 days even if Jesus Christ Himself did the painting.
-if the paint is not fully cured, it can outgas, leaving lots of teeny tiny bubbles in your vynull.
-if it's a bad paint job, even masking and transfer tape can pull it up.
-if you make a mistake and have to peel something off, you might also peel off the paint right down to the primer.
Can it happen? Maybe
Has it ever happened to me? No.
Do I always wait 30 days? Yes.
If not, make the client sign a waiver saying that you are not responsible for damages to the vehicle or bubbles from outgassing.
Love....Jill

MatthewTimothy

I'd wait 30 days even if Jesus Christ Himself did the painting.
-if the paint is not fully cured, it can outgas, leaving lots of teeny tiny bubbles in your vynull.
-if it's a bad paint job, even masking and transfer tape can pull it up.
-if you make a mistake and have to peel something off, you might also peel off the paint right down to the primer.
Can it happen? Maybe
Has it ever happened to me? No.
Do I always wait 30 days? Yes.
If not, make the client sign a waiver saying that you are not responsible for damages to the vehicle or bubbles from outgassing.
Love....Jill

:goodpost:

id listen to this, you are just asking for trouble. You've been warned by he body shop, there is a reason they tell you to wait, tell your client or your client will go after you.

Pat Whatley

The client's response to the body shop was "It's a dump truck, who gives a ..."

Just tell him it may lift the paint off when you apply it....it may lift the paint off 10 years from now when he tries to pull it back off. Chances are that neither will happen but warn him up front and let him decide. Chances are he's like most people and just wants to get the damn thing back into service making him money....as long as he's willing to accept the risk then do it and forget about it.

You've been warned by he body shop, there is a reason they tell you to wait...
I'm willing to bet you the reason they told you that is the same reason most sign people will tell you that.....they heard it from somebody, who heard it from somebody, who heard it from somebody who just made it up because it sounded good. Might have made sense 40 years ago....paint has changed a whole lot since then.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Listen to what Jill said and beyond that..... still be careful even after waiting the full 30 days. You can still run into problems up to 120 days later on re-paints.

mopar691

I would find out if this was baked or air cured. I have applied decals within 1 hour of spraying when baked. All out gassing is finished before it leaves the oven if done correctly.
Pulled these off years later in repairs/repaints and no effect at all.
Otherwise, temp, humidity and sun exposure is going to effect the final outcome. What type of clear if clear at all. Single stage I would wait longer than a month. Stuff is horrible and being a work/dump truck might of been the cheapest stuff they had laying around the shop.

Si Allen

LISTEN to Jill!

You have no idea about the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach when a section of paint peels up as you take off the tape!

Don't ask how I know this.

:Oops:

Sticky Signs

Sounds like the guy needs to get the numbers on asap. Here's my suggestion for a quick temporary fix - some may disagree. Hit the application area with some car wax before sticking the vinyl down. Don't worry, the vinyl will still stick, it just won't be very aggressive. Have him come back in a month or so to remove that vinyl and clean off the wax before applying the permanent vinyl.
Non-factory paint jobs are almost always problematic so make sure the client knows what he's getting himself into and make sure you can't be held responsible for damage.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the guy needs to get the numbers on asap. Here's my suggestion for a quick temporary fix - some may disagree. Hit the application area with some car wax before sticking the vinyl down. Don't worry, the vinyl will still stick, it just won't be very aggressive. Have him come back in a month or so to remove that vinyl and clean off the wax before applying the permanent vinyl.
Non-factory paint jobs are almost always problematic so make sure the client knows what he's getting himself into and make sure you can't be held responsible for damage.
You're serious, huh ??

That's probably worse than lettering right out the gate.

Border

Waxing an uncured paint job is just as bad for it as applying vinyl over it. That is some terribly strange advice either way...

It all depends on the kind of paint system used. Epoxy, enamel, laquer??? also if it was baked or not.

Options:
1. Listen to the body shop in best case scenario but still have client sign off.
2. Have the client sign a waiver and let'r buck now!
3. Drink heavily -don't know how that will help but it's always a great last option.

Billct2

So the guy is supposed to park his truck for 30 days while the paint "cures"?
Just have him sign a waiver and get it done.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Everyone is right here... including the client.

After all, it IS a dump truck. We do a lot of dump trucks & similar (large asphalt, construction, etc company right next door on both sides) here & if the client says stick it, we stick it. Most companies with dump trucks have them for 20 years or so & the truck never really retires until it is completely unusable anymore & heads to the shredder.

Make up a short waiver for them to sign in regards to the fresh paint job decals. if they will sign it; put the vinyl on today. the body shop probably had them sign a release when they picked it up (which they will be violating). If they won't sign it, then their truck doesn't get lettered until they sign it.

I have installed vinyl decals for some customers (who will remain nameless) the same DAY the truck was painted in emergency circumstances... gotta get them right the first time! :omg2:

Sticky Signs

Well, I knew people wouldn't agree so please allow me to explain. My suggestion is based on my experience working in film. Most picture cars are rentals and have often been re-painted. We use wax for a couple reasons. 1, it makes removal fast and easy (graphics on a picture car usually only need to be on for a day or two). 2, it minimizes the chance of peeling the paint.
I've never seen wax harm a paint job. Not to say that it's not possible, I've just never seen it.

Either way, I agree with everyone when it comes to signing a waiver.
Best of luck.

d fleming

+1. Man can't afford to have a 150 to 250 dollar an hour dump sit for a month. Waiver and stick, go to work.
Everyone is right here... including the client.

After all, it IS a dump truck. We do a lot of dump trucks & similar (large asphalt, construction, etc company right next door on both sides) here & if the client says stick it, we stick it. Most companies with dump trucks have them for 20 years or so & the truck never really retires until it is completely unusable anymore & heads to the shredder.

Make up a short waiver for them to sign in regards to the fresh paint job decals. if they will sign it; put the vinyl on today. the body shop probably had them sign a release when they picked it up (which they will be violating). If they won't sign it, then their truck doesn't get lettered until they sign it.

I have installed vinyl decals for some customers (who will remain nameless) the same DAY the truck was painted in emergency circumstances... gotta get them right the first time! :omg2:

Locals Find!

Wax won't ever hurt any paint. It will remove clear coat but, I have never seen it damage paint. When I was in the Air Force working logistics I was responsible for over 1000 vehicles. I know for a fact not one vehicles paint was ever hurt by us waxing them. Now Clear coat is a whole other story. Your only supposed to apply wax to clear coat twice a year or the wax will actually eat away the clear coat.

BobM

Most "dump truck" paint jobs are low budget and don't incude hardners or clear coats. Jill is correct that waiting 30 days is the way to go. That being said the dump turck owner wants his truck on the road. Make him aware, get a sign off, and very carefully do the job.

mopar691

Waxing an uncured paint job is just as bad for it as applying vinyl over it. That is some terribly strange advice either way...

It all depends on the kind of paint system used. Epoxy, enamel, laquer??? also if it was baked or not.

Options:
1. Listen to the body shop in best case scenario but still have client sign off.
2. Have the client sign a waiver and let'r buck now!
3. Drink heavily -don't know how that will help but it's always a great last option.

This. Waxing can cause very premature failure and delamination of the clear from the base coat as will cause uneven gassing if the paint is not cured. I have seen clear cloud and turn white from this. It bubbles under the wax from not venting. Do not know if you have ever seen what happens if you paint a catalyzed clear over a lacquer. Ishy things happen. And it can take time for these to come about.

But I do like the idea of #3. That is my favorite advice by far!!

Border

This. Waxing can cause very premature failure and delamination of the clear from the base coat as will cause uneven gassing if the paint is not cured. I have seen clear cloud and turn white from this. It bubbles under the wax from not venting. Do not know if you have ever seen what happens if you paint a catalyzed clear over a lacquer. Ishy things happen. And it can take time for these to come about.

But I do like the idea of #3. That is my favorite advice by far!!

This could be the beginning of S101's latest bromance~

I would bet you also have a background in autobody experience, as I do, no?

For some of the above comments, please note that I only said no wax on uncured paint.

In general, general statement about vehicle paint jobs just don't hold up...too many variables.

-and the best advice overall is always have a waver signed whenever possible.
Most likely there will be no ill effects from slamming the vinyl on this freshly painted garbage truck.....most likely.