• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recieved this from a supplier

tyzero

3M acquires CO-based vehicle-wrap converter

April 22, 2011
St. Paul, MN-based 3M Co. has acquired Original Wraps Inc., a Golden, CO, company specializing in the creative business development, technology and design of personalization platforms for vehicles and vehicle accessories. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

This acquisition complements 3M’s Commercial Graphics business and strengthens 3M’s personal graphics platform. The trend and desire for graphics to personalize everything, especially vehicles, is expected to continue to grow exponentially. Original Wraps provides auto manufacturers, car dealers, automotive retailers and wholesalers with a comprehensive selection of front-end vehicle personalization resources. 3M has worked with Original Wraps since January 2010 to provide professional on-demand Scotchprint® Personalized Vehicle Graphics.

speedmedia

So technically does this mean 3M is now not only supplying us with films and supplies but competing against us?

Thanks,
Kurt

Craig Sjoquist

I don't understand ...3M has been doing fleet graphics since the beginning, thats what started this in the 1st place ( before Gerber 4 )...Knows 3M is a innovator of business & research & development, but buying a retail business. ??

The Equipment Guy

All kinds of possibilities here, from taking over a business that owes you to much to watch it flop to needing a r&d site...3M is usually a pretty bright bunch of cookies.

Craig

HulkSmash

i'm not too worried. Between sept - now we've had several wraps come over from them. Also they're not too bright, they call my shop about 3-4 times a month pretending to be a customer and ask about our pricing for certain wraps.. and even ask our square footage price. They call from their shop, and we have caller ID. Dumb? Yes i think so.

On one occasion they asked "hey i have 5 transits to be wrapped how much?"
10 minutes later an actual customer called, he said he was getting bids for 5 transits wraps.

It's kinda hilarious.

ProWraps

considering their materials sucks @ss of late, they must have had to buy a wrap shop to use what they were producing.

everyone around here is dropping 3M like rats off a sinking ship. this ought to speed up that process even more.

grafixemporium

considering their materials sucks @ss of late, they must have had to buy a wrap shop to use what they were producing.

everyone around here is dropping 3M like rats off a sinking ship. this ought to speed up that process even more.

Hey Chris... this is the first I've heard of any problems. What's the story there? We haven't had any issues at all. We strictly use 180cv3 and 8519 on pretty much everything we do.

njshorts

at least im not alone... we only use 3m if a wholesale client demands it. 98% of our sales/wraps are oracal, that hasnt changed much in 12 years of business.

jasonx

What are you guys moving too?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Hey Chris... this is the first I've heard of any problems. What's the story there? We haven't had any issues at all. We strictly use 180cv3 and 8519 on pretty much everything we do.

x3 ?? What problems with 3M materials are you hearing about or running into? Over the past 8 years or so I have had the least problems from 3M materials compared to any other brand.