• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recommendations for firewall software?

ChiknNutz

I have been using the built-in WinXP firewall, but understand the need for something more robust (at least a 2-way firewall). We're currently running Avast (paid) virus software and Adaware (paid) for spy crud. I've tried a few firewalls that I'm not too thrilled with. I thought ZoneAlarm too picky or nervous it seems and I recently tried another one, COMODO, that also seemed way too neurotic and never did seem to 'learn' our system. So, looking for something that is not very intrusive...install and let it go w/o being alerted to every single little thing going on. I want a small memory footprint, so McAfee and Norton are out :) So what do some of you rely on that you're pleased with?

Williams Signs

Look into a router with a firewall built in. Ntegear makes a good one. Better than a software firewall and doesn't use up system resources.

ChiknNutz

Not necessarily looking for free ones at all...just one that works! A lot of good reviews about Comodo, but it just wouldn't stop nagging me no matter what I did....uninstalled after about 1 week. Tried it on 2 of my 4 systems...just too neurotic for my tastes. I haven't tried ZA for a while now...maybe better now.

47CP

I second the Netgear recommendation, but watch the FVS114, there is an issue with those.

DaveW

ChiknNutz

I just recently replaced my ailing D-Link DI-624 with a Linksys WRT54G. I think it has a built-in firewall, but I really don't know how to use it...any advice there?

Lunatic Taskbar

With Comodo and Zone alarm, And others. when the nag comes up you need to either accept or deny... But also click the little box that says remember my decision (or words to that effect) and then the rule is in there. If you don't check the box it only remembers it for that one time.

I hope this helps

ChiknNutz

I know about the check box to make the nag go away, but it simply didn't work as advertised...sometimes yes, sometimes no. It was just too much of a PITA to me...and the same with on the other computer my wife uses...she was really annoyed with it.

cgsigns_jamie

I just recently replaced my ailing D-Link DI-624 with a Linksys WRT54G. I think it has a built-in firewall, but I really don't know how to use it...any advice there?

The fact that the router is between the internet and your computer keeps you safe. The firewall is turned on by default, you shouldn't need to configure anything unless you want to open different ports for applications such as remote desktop or a VPN connection. I don't run any software firewalls, only hardware.

pindesign

Most hardware firewalls only deliver outbound protection, so you should probably get a software firewall as well - it is essential that windows has two-way protection, just becuase of the types of malware/spyware/virus threats that exist and how they exploit the windows OS.

IMO ZoneAlarm is a very good firewall.

Also, get yourself firefox and do away with windows IE all together! IE is always more susceptable to hijacking etc, not to mention is a less funcitonal program.

hammered

Check through the lists at majorgeek.com. Everything there is checked out before presented for download. I secong the AVG stuff.

Techman

always use a two way firewall..
smitfraud needs to get out to download its trash. IF you use a plain old windows firewall or a hardware firewall it will not stop it all.

A good 2 way will tell if something is trying to get out.
In the past few weeks ive worked on 8 miitfraud machines and all of them had a router,, and a one way firewall, and used IE for browsing.

choucove

We recently added Cisco ASA 5505 firewalls at both of our shops. For a hardware firewall, they were very reasonably priced and have lots of wonderful features, many of which I don't even understand or know what to do with! The biggest thing we liked about these were the ability to set up site-to-site and remote-to-site VPN networks very easily. The second is they can be highly configurable by some with not a whole lot of experience in such things (just like me!)

I tried to get everyone at the office to switch from IE to Firefox over a year ago and it just never worked. They are all very much "I like it my way because that's the way I've always done it." I still keep hampering them for the change though!