• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Recommended vinyl and laminate to wrap corrugated shipping containers.

Pam

Looking for advice on the best vinyl and laminate to wrap shipping containers. The containers will be new. I understand how to measure, using a soft measuring tape. Just need advice on the material.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Andy D

Looking for advice on the best vinyl and laminate to wrap shipping containers. The containers will be new. I understand how to measure, using a soft measuring tape. Just need advice on the material.

Do you mean the large steel containers used on ships?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I would go with a cast vinyl - due to the contours of the ribs - or whatever those are called. channels?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Another, perhaps more accurate way to measure is this:

Take a strip of vinyl, say 36 inches long by 2 inches wide. Starting in the middle of a standing rib, continue to apply the vinyl and try to get it to end atop another standing rib. You may need more or less vinyl to accomplish this, but make it an easy number to remember.

Then, measure the overall length of the applied vinyl across the tops of the ribs. Divide the original vinyl length by this measurement. Hint: the number should be greater than 1.

Multiply this factor by total length of your intended installed design to obtain your total cut vinyl length.

This method is especially helpful if you're aligning multiple panels, since you will have accurate intervals by which to tile your layout (preferably seaming at the tops of the ribs).

JB

Last edited:

kerwinchua

Production Manager
Hi Pam,

I would recommend 3M 3920 high tack vinyl. You can apply any UV overlaminate on it and the high tack adhesive will make sure it won't peel off even in cold weather installs.

Pam

Another, perhaps more accurate way to measure is this:

Take a strip of vinyl, say 36 inches long by 2 inches wide. Starting in the middle of a standing rib, continue to apply the vinyl and try to get it to end atop another standing rib. You may need more or less vinyl to accomplish this, but make it an easy number to remember.

Then, measure the overall length of the applied vinyl across the tops of the ribs. Divide the original vinyl length by this measurement. Hint: the number should be greater than 1.

Multiply this factor by total length of your intended installed design to obtain your total cut vinyl length.

This method is especially helpful if you're aligning multiple panels, since you will have accurate intervals by which to tile your layout (preferably seaming at the tops of the ribs).

JB
Thank you.

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
High tack 2mil vinyl. You might also consider using some 3M Primer for better adhesion down in the creases in the valleys at the base of each rib. We did some wrapping on some new shipping containers and the valleys were the only place anything lifted. On the second container we used 3M Primer and it seemed to make the vinyl stick alot better.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I brought in a 20' shipping container four years ago to use as a sandblast booth. When I inquired about purchasing another one two years ago, the prices had gone up considerably...in part because one Chinese manufacturer temporarily going off line for a while, and also because of the new rules about the aqueous based paint they must now use (taking much longer to cure).

In short....the paint is different on new containers now compared to four years ago.

The certification tag on the door identifies the year of manufacture. If I were you, I'd try to find a new container and test your vinyl for adhesion.

JB