• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Red Tag

shan_50

Did I miss something or how is this good for our industry as 4over tries to tell me?

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
FYI ... if you're seeking to give whoever this website is greater exposure, you have done so by posting their URL and then posing a mysterious question. You have left us to wonder what it is about and/or if you are a shill for them.

Flubber

His stats.... Note he is a graphic designer with only flexisign for software and being that he has flexi he has no plotter or printer...hmmmm!!!

Locations
South Dakota
Company
Work Description
Grpahic Design
Position
Graphic Designer
Plotters & Printers
none
Signmaking & Graphics Software
flex

Last edited:

shan_50

Point taken. Feel free to delete thread as i am not interested in promoting this.

Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I find it amusing that the shiny 4 color companies are now wanting your clients... whoopee lets make another 50 bucks a pop!

BALLPARK

This type of company is the least of our worries.

The static print market will be in a world of hurt, even for them within 5-7 years. Sure printers are going to improve speeds, dpi and other critical areas of the machine. But in the end the digital market will not be the digital printing market. It will be the digital relay market.

Think about it like this...

Millions of dollars are spent every year on static based prints within small companies.
Billions of dollars are spent every year on static based prints within mid-large companies.

What do you think is going to happen with the TV manufactures start buying out marketing based Ad companies? TV's are already being used to advertise within stores with custom based Ad campaigns. Don't think for a second that Marketing Firms would not love to cut out the cost of static prints for as much as possible for their clients. That only means more $$$ for them! Even if the TV companies to not create new divisions for retail, the larger marketing firms will eat it up with bulk buying power from the TV companies.

I think satellite feeds with Ads will be a huge thorn in our side...very shortly. It will save chain stores hand over fist full of large bills for each location. No more strictly static print mass production runs to promote a new product or sale. They will be able to update any Ad within seconds within thousands of stores. Then the market shrinks, supply and demand comes into play, that only means lower prices from us...lol.

I am not saying that all static prints will be obsolete shortly, just that a large percentage of the static print market will be gone.

It would not be a bad idea to start learning how to program Ads to go over a network of LCD's. Sure I could be wrong, but I would rather be prepared for nothing that to be downsized by a TV.

Just saying...

these products are complimentary sales items and are nice extra money but they are complimentary sales items and not the foundation of your business...the majority of the sign companies that i know that heavily push the glossy cheapo business cards and related printed products from these companies are in what i refer to as the 'consumable sign market' (banners, corrugated plastic, etc) and there are bigger problems in my opinion for those sign makers in that market.

the prices are falling rapidly on the products these sign companies produce and are only going to fall lower in the next few years as more people bring in new technology, how in the world are you going to compete when you have competition in your town who can produce the same product as you at selling prices of less than half (sometimes way less than half)in a fraction of the time it takes you using traditional methods

if this is the focus of your business it is time to make a plan..you've either got to become known for artistic signs (dimensional, craftsmanship, etc), signs that generate results, meaning that you have invested the time to study and learn marketing fundamentals and how they apply to our industry (and you need to be able to prove you are capable of generating results (smart clients will pay great money for this because you are making them money not costing them money), become a service oriented business willing to jump through any and all hoops for your lclients and make doing business with you a smooth easy event, i also think that as more shops and new businesses (photo print labs for example are very aware of the equipment in our industry and the other markets it would allow them to compete in) as these types of businesses take more of the market share for consumable sign products there will be opportunities for skilled installers, many of these shops are not going to have the experience, the desire,etc to install...there is a great need for qualified/skilled installers already because of the amount of shops who simply want to produce a product in house and hand it to their client and be done with the deal...i know many installers who drive unmarked trucks, wear blank t=shirts and go from install to install all day long for shops that simply won't, can't or simply don't want to install...and they are making money.

but if your business is primarily consumable signs you need to invest heavily in equipment, aggressively negotiate your material purchases, do everything you can to market yourself because the margins are going to get thinner so you are going to have to produce much more in a more economic fashion..or you need to establish strategic partnerships with those people who are investing in new technology in your local area so that they can keep their printers running.

i purposely avoided putting any actual prices into this post but let me be clear about this when i am talking about new technology i am not talking about your rolands and mimakis, i am talking direct to substrate...the technology on the horizon is going to make it very difficult to compete in the consumable sign market (if that is your focus) without investing..you simply will be priced out of the market, many people are already experiencing it. but once the flatbed is a common piece of equipment in every town (and not just sign companies as owners but also pack/ship/mail/copy stores, photo labs, and who knows who else) i am already seeing some companies sell 4X8 corrugated plastic signs printed full color for less than 2 X's the price of the substrate....and right now this technology is still in pretty infantile stages, the products that i have seen in R&D are nothing less than amazing ... the technology is already amazing if you stop and think about how far our industry has advanced in the last 25 yrs.

Techman

You should see the direct to vehicle printer that is running near my office. Laser guided height controls. wind compensations, background color sensors etc.

They printing directly to the panel trucks every day here.

Pull the truck into the bay, slide the print head up to the surface.
Press enter.. Couple hours later its done.

No installer, just a operator. Down load the design, fit it to space,, Enter..

i've seen a few direct to vehicle printers. neat technology. know a beverage distributor that purchased one with the intent of regularly changing graphics (like monthly) but they were never able to solve all of their issues (mechanical issues, art issues, company issues, internal politics, the list went on and on) and it sits in a building built for this sole purpose unused while they print on pressure sensitive material all day long and a non stop line of trucks waiting for the graphics to be swapped out...my personal opinion (the employees didn't want it to work...job security....direct to vehicle printer, 1 or 2 people to prep vehicle and one person to generate art.....the old way 1 or 2 people to generate art, 3 people running separate printers to meet their demand, 6 installers....)

CheapVehicleWrap

There was a direct to wall printer I saw a few years ago, but it disappeared. Claimed to do just about any sized outdoor wall. Used latex paints too. So if any of you run into this print button machine, you'll know what to do :)

Techman

neat technology. know a beverage distributor that purchased one with the intent of regularly changing graphics (like monthly) but they were never able to solve all of their issues (mechanical issues, art issues, company issues, internal politics, the list went on and on) and it sits in a building built for this sole purpose unused while they print on pressure sensitive material all day lon

Yes, there were a number of "test" clients testing that technology. In fact there was one guy using rattle cans and a huge set up spraying paint into graphics.

This place is not a test client trying to run some new technology. This is the real deal. They are in full test mode. Full research and development. There are no name, no markings or any other tell tale give away as to who it really is. They just set up here and from what I hear they were in texas and cali for a while.

I saw it print on plastic sheets, trucks, and resin products etc.

So we can dismiss it all we want. But, it is coming.