• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reducing night time light from the outside of Commercial Windows

What would work best

• Total voters

bold_will_hold

Hey guys, So I have a client that owns a commercial building. The neighbor across the street complains that at night the light coming from inside the building is very bright distracting/blinding.
My question arises with window films. I have used etched vinyl before and know it will reduce the amount of glare and direct light the neighbor is seeing but will also not allow client to see out the window during the day.

There are tons of window tinting options on the market. They all seem to cater to light coming into the windows from the outside or heat reduction. Does anyone have any experience with this that could give me some more options?

Client has contacted me and is looking for window film options my only solution at the moment is etched vinyl or that the customer buying retractable window shades.

Looking to stop the amount of light seen from outside window at night. Possibly with window films.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Look into solar control films. I know 3m has an entire division dedicated to them, and quite a few for this use.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They're called curtains, drapes, venetian blinds, etc. You just need to close them before leaving and the neighbor will have nice restful sleep. They all have blockout capabilities.

bold_will_hold

Can not recommend drapes or blinds as these are rather large windows in a commercial building so I don't think suzy home makers curtains are going to be very professional. There is the option of the retractable mesh style roll up style window shades. BUT the customer is inquiring about window films they could have easily went to the home improvement store and picked fancy window treatments if they wanted to go that way.

GaSouthpaw thank you for the suggestion, those are the films I mentioned. They only seem to advertise benefits of light coming in through the window and some create a mirror look on the outside not sure if that will stop the light from coming the opposite way. Seems to be a way for office building in warmer climates to control heat.

GaSouthpaw

I wish I could remember which one I was looking at- but there was definitely one that prevented people from seeing in (even at night). I think it would work for what they're looking for. I'm pretty sure you could get a sample piece to test.
And I have to add- your customer is really nice. I think I'd have to tell the folks across the street to tint their own windows if it was bothering them (but I don't really care for my neighbors).

bold_will_hold

My neighbor has had a faulty LED spot light outside his house for almost a year now. It flickers constantly, almost like a night club rave party outside my windows. So I share in your dis-content with neighbors! HAHA

I have a call in 3M to try to speak with someone there that may be able to direct me to the right product. I have seen the 100% blockout film preventing people from looking in, but I want to be able to see out the window as well

Chasez

You have to be careful with solar window films... being a 3M authorized dealer (in Canada) you can cause thermal stress on the glass and cause it to crack. Now there are many factors to look out for so if you do end up going the window film route I would the space checked out by an expert in the field.

Now saying will it work, it may help to dampen how bright the light is but how much is an iffy question. We would typically look at 1 product for an application like this but do a sample prior to doing the whole building to see how well it worked since the material is not meant for this type of application (like stated already is meant for solar control - heat and glare).

Chaz

GaSouthpaw

I absolutely agree with you, Chasez, about making sure the glass could handle the film because of the chance of screwing up the windows. That said, I'd swear I remember seeing a 3M film that specifically mentioned that it prevented people outside from being able to see into spaces where it was used (in addition to the solar control benefits), so it would- I think- be ideal for this. If I could only remember what the heck it was!