• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Refacing old Chevron sign...Help

MikePro

questions answered:
1) yes
2) yes
3) not really a question, but no problem! glad to help :)

before guaranteeing to use the old sign for another location, make sure the city will grant you a permit for such a sign.

o, and post pics.
my head hurts trying to figure out what you're talking about without a reference. If you truly want help on these forums, you need to treat it like you would an email to your client... as much information as possible, with as little words as possible (i.e. PICTURES help most here), and as few questions as possible at a time.

John Butto

I fiqure you to be a juvenile.

No, you see, I wouldn't have had my ass kicked...I think if you look at the stats my generation is MUCH more violent than yours...which means we kick more ass...lol
Juvenile violence is not increasing

Juvenile Arrests for Homicide: 1993 to 2007
The dramatic decline in juvenile homicides (and other juvenile violent crime) in the 1990s demonstrates that the observed decline in school violence is part of a larger national trend. This decline cannot be attributed to a decline in the juvenile population because the juvenile population increased. There are likely multiple factors responsible for the drop, including declining violence associated with drug gangs, effective community-oriented law enforcement efforts, as well as numerous school and community-based efforts to prevent violence.

Last edited by a moderator:

jiarby

which means we kick more ass...lol

When asking strangers for help with a problem I find that KISSING ass works far better than KICKING it.

You have made 6 additional posts to this thread since being asked for additional info and/or pictures but have not posted anything but whines about how you are being mistreated.

Fire can't exist without heat, fuel, or air. Quit giving this flame war air & fuel so that the thread can begin to help you solve your problem.

Malkin

The reason it was implied that you didn't know what you were doing was precisely because there were no pictures to aide the explanation. The item you are dealing with sounds pretty non-standard and a written description simply isn't enough.

btropical.com

no help here but I have collected an 8 by 8 pure sign face pan dble sided texaco metal 6by4 football shaped , and a round texaco double side at a junk yard/hoarder house and one old 70s gas pump chevron

Craig Sjoquist

ok pan faces normally have about 2 inch flange, the way I read this is.. no flange it is mounted straight from bend in pan correct.
many sign co that remove will take stuff so reinstall cost more
if so you need to find the extrusion to remount these proper ... find another Chevron with same cabinet see what you need
Ok next normally these multi faces are painted from back.. it takes cleaning solvent for this about a gallon or so depending how wasteful for this size cost and time and age of plastic
You might be better off recreating a extrusion mounting and new plastic

If a close up picture was available would know exactly what is what

Please take all the bull as bull and pay no mind much of it is to see the shock value.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Please take all the bull as bull and pay no mind much of it is to see the shock value.

What he said. This place seems to be on a roll this week. The way I look at it, you've been a member for a couple of years JW and this is the first time you've had to ask something like this.... so that tells me that - as a rule - you seem to be able to find your answers by searching or you have some idea of what you are doing. I'll give ya' the benefit of the doubt.

Yes pictures would have helped - a lot... but I really don't see the need for the nastiness in this thread from anyone. Personally really sick of watching people on here be rude and nasty just because they can.

John L

If you want a replacement vac formed face.... www.HVFI.com.

If you want a flex face call Glantz to price the Cooley fabric and translucent vinyl and call SignComp to price the extrusions needed to retrofit the cabinet carcass.

But don't put your eye out with this stuff.

Marlene

can you draw or post a photo of the sign. I have refaced all kinds of crap old signs but am not sure I understand how the face is attached to the cabinet without retainers or a flange. is the cabinet shaped or is it just a rectangle? is the top hinged? if you can get a photo, contact the site John L posted and send it to them. also you can try www.wwsign.com

any cabinet can be re-faced as long as what is needed is clear.

Marlene

either one of these what you have? found them on bing.com

Attachments

• chevron 1.jpg
    chevron 1.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 132
  • chevron 2.jpg
    chevron 2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 116

vinylbarry

More then likely they are painted and if so it will be allot cheaper just to replace pans then to try and do something with painted pans.
Not to mention the pictures marlene posted if they are anything like them there formed pans and no way are you going to make them look good with something else.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, Stacy……

I have to agree with you on that there’s been a lot of nastiness around here lately…. and I’ve been a part of it. It’s very hard to not give back what someone dishes out.

The OP is definitely in over his head and when a member points this out and the person seeking help, bites your head off….. who in their right mind has the assignment of helping this person because he demands it ??

He’s been doing nothing but mocking and putting everyone down the last few days and then comes here for help and wonders why no one greets him with open arms and smothers him in warmness and understanding. Everyone knows…. you catch more flies with sugar than you do with vinegar. :doh:

Actually, now that I look back over the last week or so…. I would venture to say, we’ve had more arrogant OP’s that are constantly looking for trouble than anything else and when given their dose of medicine, they start crying the blues about everyone being mean and go on a rampage. Anyone that would tell me this place is getting on their nerves and constantly be taking pot shots at others would either be sternly talked to privately…. or just completely ignored. Looks like some of these OP’s are starting to be ignored and only given the answers everyone sees fitting for them. Their attitudes really are bad and they should probably sit in a corner and sulk for a while. Bad behavior is not usually rewarded with soothing comments and kindness.

Yep, the nastiness, I believe is a result of their rudeness and stubbornness. Don’t feed them and maybe they’ll go away. Didn’t your mama tell you not to give a stray kitty and milk ?? :wink:

Marlene

try to get some pics or draw a side view of the face as you will need it to get a quote for new faces. you did your best to verbally describe the faces and how they mount to the cabinet, but since this sounds pretty much like a non-standard pan face with retainers or a combo of a hinge and retainers, it is really hard to figure out what you have. the next question is there a way to use the cabinet and intall regular retainers and just re-face it with a standard pan face with a flange? it sounds like the customer is trying to get out of this cheaply and getting new pans made to fit might be more than he is willing to pay.

note to the OP. there have been some pretty nasty threads lately. the ones that have moved on to maintain the subject of the thread have been the ones where the OP just ignores the pinheads. it's hard to do but once a thread falls into a fist fight, it is hard to go back to topic.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Didn’t your mama tell you not to give a stray kitty and milk ?? :wink:

Nope... my mommy let me feed them...

probably has a lot to do with my point of view :smile:

I guess I don't see any reason he shouldn't ask about this... and yep - he did jump froggy when instead of answers he got a pile of crap.

You don't know his circumstance. You don't know who else in the shop he works with. And I gotta tell you - I would have asked too...

that doesn't mean I'm in over my head... it means I haven't tackled this particular type of project. And it doesn't mean that there's not someone backing me up at my shop who is fully licensed and capable of learning new things too. I do.

I just think at this point... there was no reason for it. He asked a question and in my ever so humble, and quite often wrong, opinion there was no reason for the backlash just for asking without a picture.

OldPaint

well stacy, i guess iam just a grumpy old man. tend to call em like i sees em. i was willing to give some of the 30 odd years of my experience, to a newbie, but i draw the line as to helping those who DEMAND RESPECT, because they think they should have it. and then these same people are disrespectful to those making suggestions to make this process simple. and then they get defensive of their ignornace and turn it on those who can help. iam dun with this one.