• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Relieved of my Duties

acothran

Yesterday our owner informed me that we are parting ways (nice way to say I'm fired). Three years ago he hired me to manage his upstart graphics division (his main business is mattress manufacturing) which turned into a sign shop. I had some graphic design experience but no experience with signs. My need to learn led me to join Signs 101, search a lot of posts, and ask a lot of stupid question. I have a lot of vehicle wraps, banners, post and panel signs, etc, that I was able to give customers with the help of this forum. While there is plenty of BS and banter on any forum (this one included), there are a lot of talented and helpful people, more than willing to help others be better designers and sign makers. For all of your help, I can only say thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I don't know what's next for me but I would rather be excited for a new opportunity than dwell on the past. I'm not leaving S101 but as this chapter closes I thought it would be a good time to express my gratitude. Without you all, I wouldn't have survived this long.

Allen

CS-SignSupply-TT

Odd as this may sound, check out the SIGN depts. in the BEER WHOLESALERS (Bud, Miller/Coors), as well as the WINE/SPIRITS WHOLESALERS

ova

You can move to Wheeling and work for me. Then in a couple of years when I'm ready to retire, buy it.

Dave

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Parting ways (getting caned) sucks! I actually cried when it happened at one shop when I was getting into this business, and that guy treated me like crap.

But if I was not fired from that 1 job, I never would have learned what I know now. You will be fine.

anotherdog

Three years of your life in exchange for a skilled trade/self-employed business and the wages you got paid while you made learning mistakes on his dollar.

Not a win-win, but you didn't lose.

When I lost my last job I walked in the CFO's office and fired myself. Six month later I read about the closing auction. Every time I have had the job loss punch in the gut, a year later I realized it was the kick in the pants I needed to build something better.

Dakotagrafx

Good luck and I agree it will turn out to be a good thing down the road - every job I left lead to something better. heck even getting rid of Wife 1.0 and Trading up to Wife 2.0 was a major upgrade and was well worth all the headache/heartache in the end

Gino

Premium Subscriber
One doors closes.... and another one opens.

Keep your eyes and ears open...... and weigh your options wisely.

Good Luck !!

ukads

Same story here...when laid off from a company I had helped start from nothing because I built a strong enough team, the feeling was disbelief. That feeling later changed as I understood how much working there had negatively impacted my life.

Best of luck to you.

Slamboni

Sign Business

Dude I got written up for hygene once and then fired a month later. Digging post holes all morning in Texas and then doing illustrator by over the shoulder dictation the second half of the day = stinky boy. Look for work with traffic control companies. A lot of them have their own autonomous sign shops within. There's plenty of work out there...

royster13

The last time I was "relieved of the duties" I gave the "messenger" a big hug and asked him if he wanted to go for a drink to celebrate.....He was stunned......After a few drinks I was humming "Free at Last...Free at Last".....