• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Remax Issues

signcrafters

A local realtor just came in and told us she received a cease and desist letter from Remax corp because her signs are red-over-white-over blue and they infringe on the Remax trademark.

Anyone heard of this?
Is anyone fighting it?

signcrafters

There is no logo.

White coroplast
Red reverse "for sale"
Normal company name in red
normal agent name in blue
phone in reverse blue.
(not my design)

WildWestDesigns

this isn't your problem - have your client get a lawyer

To a degree, I agree with this since the client was the one that got the cease and desist letter.

However, maybe not in this case, but one thing that we all have to be aware of is Secondary (Contributory) Infringement. That is something that might get us depending on the situation. I'm not saying that's the case here, but that's what I would make sure not to fall under.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As mentioned, it's probably not your problem, but to be sure a picture would help.

Even this would not fly... and there's no logo here, either.

attachment.php

Attachments

• remax.jpg
    remax.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 134

J Hill Designs

somebody should have RE/Max lawyers C&D the netherlands! :omg:

Attachments

• 2000px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.jpg
    2000px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 100

reQ

Heard about the same thing here in Canada. I have few different real estate companies as customers, including Remax. When new company asked me do redo their signs, because Remax said they look to similar, i did few drawings. (Nothing special, just simple stuff). And guess what, at the end of the day Remax were not happy, because there is red & blue colors, and they don't care how it even looks lol.
Attached proofs of what were proposed.
attachment.php

Attachments

• remax_adv.jpg
    remax_adv.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 118

Marlene

is there a set of guidelines provided to your customer by Remax as to what is allowed and what isn't? usually if they are that picky, there are rules that they have set down. if not, too bad for them as how would anyone know it wasn't allowed

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
There are 4 or 5 big brokers here in town - Remax not really being one of them - and at least 3 of them have a Red and Blue logo.

I would think you would probably win in an even court battle, but Remax is probably banking on the fact that your customer doesn't have the funds to compete with Remax - and know it.

It's probably better to take on the big guys under the radar if you can...

rjssigns

As it turns out, under Federal Trademark Law the marks in question should never have been issued in the first place. The Lanham Act 15 U.S.C. §1052(b) provides that any mark that consists of or comprises the flag of any foreign nation cannot be registered as a trademark. It is non-ambiguous.

No trademark by which the goods of the applicant may be distinguished from the goods of others shall be refused registration on the principal register on account of its nature unless it … (b) Consists of or comprises the flag or coat of arms or other insignia of the United States, or of any State or municipality, or of any foreign nation, or any simulation thereof.”

The flag of the Netherlands is a tricolor flag of red-over-white-over-blue horizontal bars (depicted below). Variants of the flag have been in use since 1572 and in 1937 the flag was officially formalized as the national flag of the Netherlands. It is the oldest tricolor flag in existence and it far predates the use of the red-over-white-over-blue horizontal bars by RE/MAX.RE/MAX’s trademarks (registration numbers 1,702,048 and 1,691,854) are both marks that “consists of or comprises the flag or coat of arms or other insignia of the United States, or of any State or municipality, or of any foreign nation, or any simulation thereof”, specifically, the flag of the Netherlands, and under the statute “shall be refused registration on the principal register on account of its nature”.

Sign Works

Red, White & Blue ... Ya that's never been used before ... Looks like Remax needs a Reality check.

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 107

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Now, that's getting a little carried away. It's about a top red field, a white middle and a blue bottom. I'm assuming all three equal in size. The American flag does not resemble that at all, but even so, ours has been around for a long time, while the Netherlands only had their's distinguished in 1937.

This really could get interesting. Really.

shibby

Now, that's getting a little carried away. It's about a top red field, a white middle and a blue bottom. I'm assuming all three equal in size. The American flag does not resemble that at all, but even so, ours has been around for a long time, while the Netherlands only had their's distinguished in 1937.

This really could get interesting. Really.

Your forum avatar is infringing on Remax...I demand you change or alter it. :noway: