• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Remote desktop

WildWestDesigns

This is exactly why we won't use one, it's convenient but a huge risk. Not speaking for everyone but you forget just how much information we actually have on our PCs, tax returns, quarterly filings, employee personal info, customer info, SS numbers, etc etc. Employee stuff is 100% your responsibility and you can ruin someones life by being irresponsible. You're granting some unknown company access to this and people here are OK with using whoever because its free. Its naive to think that you are safe and Huawei is the prime example of this.

Free or not, it's still a scary proposition. Why I really don't like cloud computing unless it's something that I can self host. In which case, it would have to be something that I could vet the code to see if it's going to be dialing home or anything like that regardless of it being self hosting.

You know, this goes back to another issue, even though we are really dependent on tech/computers for our day to day lives, but it really seems like the knowledge base of the average computer user has gone down. That does not help things either. Even with those that have grown up with computers all their lives (as I have, but my early childhood was dealing with DOS, something (CLI) that is foreign to a lot (at least 51%, much much higher I'm sure)) of the computer users out there now. Add in cloud competing, it is a very very scary thing.

equippaint

Free or not, it's still a scary proposition. Why I really don't like cloud computing unless it's something that I can self host. In which case, it would have to be something that I could vet the code to see if it's going to be dialing home or anything like that regardless of it being self hosting.

You know, this goes back to another issue, even though we are really dependent on tech/computers for our day to day lives, but it really seems like the knowledge base of the average computer user has gone down. That does not help things either. Even with those that have grown up with computers all their lives (as I have, but my early childhood was dealing with DOS, something (CLI) that is foreign to a lot (at least 51%, much much higher I'm sure)) of the computer users out there now. Add in cloud competing, it is a very very scary thing.
To add to this, who reads the TOS? With cloud programs and storage, who owns the rights to your stuff? I'm no conspiracy theorist by any stretch but one day this will blow up on people because we are all lazy and blinded by convenience. You want to whine about wholesalers (that you have created) then just wait, you are creating something bigger.

WildWestDesigns

To add to this, who reads the TOS? With cloud programs and storage, who owns the rights to your stuff?

In order to perform said services/storage etc, "you" have to give up some ownership in order for them to actually perform the tasks that you want them to perform. And I'm sure everyone reads the email that has the subject of changes to the TOS as well.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I didn't, but I had my credit card tied to them. I suspect thats why they decided to reverse the funds, I threatened to do a chargeback since my CC would protect me and they wouldn't. They threatened me with closing my account... told them for $2000+ I didn't give a shit :D I just found it funny someone remote logged in, went to paypal and bought stuff. Paypals one click buy is great though.

Geezzz, this is ANOTHER example of the arrogance this company shows. Both them and eBay are cut from the same cloth and it shows.