• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Remove & Replace job... Vinyl won't come off

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Those steamers are lifesavers! Stripped a couple 8 year old decals off a trailer yesterday in no time. Unlaminated calendered vinyl that was completely baked on.

While the steamer was warming up I used a torch to get started....and was only getting tiny little strips off. Once I got the steamer going I had pieces the width of the steamer attachement coming off easily.

Even for cut vinyl the steamer is our go-to tool, it's a great investment.

gabagoo

You could try Vinyl-Off, which is sprayed on top of the vinyl and softens it and the adhesive.

I had a quart of this stuff and never used it, then a few weeks ago I get this cab in to retrofit the graphics to a new company and the decals on the doors were clear mylar..OMG that stuff just breaks up and heat gun or steamer hardly did a thing. I decided to try this vinyl off and I am not sure what is in it but I sprayed it on and nearly chocked to death anytime I got near the door. I washed it off and told the customer...you can pay me $80 per hour to keep going or we put a big white vinyl patch over the old graphics. ( was an older crap box caravan) He agreed and I was happy because I really dislike struggling to remove old graphics....who doesn't :)