• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing 3 year old Sign Paint from Windows

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm used to removing vinyl, but are there any tips on removing sign paint from windows? The paint has been on there for about 3-4 years. There are about 30 storefront windows about 60"x90" a with about 60% coverage.

Billct2

Wow, that's a lot of paint. We always used a razor scraper, but I would want to speed that up with that many windows, so I'd try a paint remover.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Around here, you'd get in all kindsa trouble using chemicals, unless you have a way of reclaiming it all..... without even a drop going where it doesn't belong. A wide paint scraper, is about your only choice and get a helper or two.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
So a wide paint scrapper and a 16 year old who otherwise would sleep till 3pm? I got both this summer.

Not sure I'd worry about chemicals... the jobs are located in the toilet of Texas.

SignosaurusRex

The first thing you want to do is to test 'bond of paint to glass' with a fresh razor and soapy (slick) water.

If the lettering is on the exterior glass... Give the painted areas several liberal wipes of Lacquer Thinner to soften the paint. The paint may even crinkle and nearly fall off on it's own which would be helpful. You can also use some 0 to 000 grade steel wool with soapy water to buff/abrade the surface of the paint before applying the Lacquer Thinner. The steel wool and soapy water method will not damage the glass and will also allow the solvent to 'get in to' the paint. You can follow up with a fresh razor and soapy water. You only need enough soap in the water to make it lightly slick so that the razor will glide and shave the paint easily without scarring the glass.

If the lettering is on the interior... you will need to use the wet razor method unless you can make proper arrangements to employ the solvent method. Unfortunately the wet razor method alone can be much more time consuming.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good luck with your kid, but is he gonna learn the right lessons in life while working with you that it's alright to break the law, if no one is looking ??

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Good luck with your kid, but is he gonna learn the right lessons in life while working with you that it's alright to break the law, if no one is looking ??

I'm sure whatever law that would be broken by spraying soapy water everywhere, would be better then the ones he's been breaking... :( I might be the only adult he knows that doesn't collect disability or vacation in Lew Sterrett every now and then.

Creighton

fresh razor and soapy (slick) water.

I'll chime in that Home Depot used to have a nice little scraper with 3" or so wide blades with rounded corners meant to not scratch glass. $9 or so as I recall, with a bunch of spare blades.

Hear you on the chemicals, but there are some eco friendly strippers, like Franmar's SOY-gel stripper. May be worth a squirt or two from something drain safe on the shelf at Home Depot (if there is anything) while the 16 year old is there buying your nifty scraper.

visual800

use lacquer thinner. punch small hole in the can and squirt on windows, cover them quickly with newspaper, that will hold the thinner on the lettering, it will make this job alot easier. Not too much thinner it will spread itself on newspaper

Marlene

this looks like an 8" version of the standard 4" scraper most use. It also have a handle that lets you reach farther. The wider blade might help speed it up some.

Attachments

• 8 inch.jpg
    8 inch.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 290

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
this looks like an 8" version of the standard 4" scraper most use. It also have a handle that lets you reach farther. The wider blade might help speed it up some.

I got one of those last year and used it to remove vinyl floors, thanks for reminding me about it!

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
You may want to look up a thread that was on here about a week or two ago about scraping glass and scratches before taking on this job...

Andy D

I read a while back that the old timers would use oven cleaning spray to remove sign paint, even off cars....
anyone here try that?

Billct2

Only tried Easy Off (original formula) on boat transoms. It worked, but sometimes left a yellow haze which too a bit of work to get rid of. I don't think I'd try it on a painted surface. There are plenty of "eco friendly safe" paint strippers around now that I would try first

Andy D

Only tried Easy Off (original formula) on boat transoms. It worked, but sometimes left a yellow haze which too a bit of work to get rid of. I don't think I'd try it on a painted surface. There are plenty of "eco friendly safe" paint strippers around now that I would try first

Good point... Just thinking out loud... I wonder if a eco friendly paint stripper and a power spray washer would be the way to go...

Sidney

I'm used to removing vinyl, but are there any tips on removing sign paint from windows? The paint has been on there for about 3-4 years. There are about 30 storefront windows about 60"x90" a with about 60% coverage.

I agree with BillC2 (use razor scrapers) Not the large one because they are very difficult to lay flat on glass. You need to use the regular 3" blades (purchase at Home Depot along with several 100 pk blades)...yes, it takes time, but it is the quickest, non staining, least messy approach. I have extensive experience with window paintings application and removal. You have to charge them according for the labor. One window you can go through 7-8 blades...the paint is very easy to remove with sharp blades.

Home Depot:
1) Titan 100-Pack of Razor Blades-TIT11038 - The Home Depot $7.95 x 5
2) Lisle Razor Blade Style Scraper $10.45 x amount of workers

JR's

I haven't read all of the post so I am not sure if it's been mentioned before.

You might want to spray some soapy water on the windowsill and surrounding moldings.
This way when you are scraping the paint off the window and it falls, it will not stick to
the windowsill and surrounding moldings.

One job I did not do this and the paint that I scraped off the window stuck to the paint
that was on the molding. It would not come off and I had to repaint the surface.