• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing 3 year old Sign Paint from Windows

TimToad

First, you have to determine what kind of paint got used. If they are big, temporary window splashes and tempura/acrylic paint was used, ammonia works very well on most paints. It even works on OneShot.

You get a pump sprayer and some masks and spray it on. You'll see it start crinkling up and pretty quick. Follow that with the scraper and soapy water.

Aside from the mess and any child labor laws being broken, I think the moral dilemma you were criticized about should be averted. Why people can't just stick to what they preach about staying on topic and steering clear of personal attacks is beyond me, but that's why they call it hypocrisy.

Johnny Best

I call it redundant talking about the hypocrisy.
Is this on the outside of the glass or on the interior. If on the interior, any chemical is going to be overbearing.
Like Trex said on the soapy water might be your best bet for interior work. On the outside, you better put down a drop cloth with the other methods, lacquer, eco paint remover and ammonia because if there is concrete the soften paint will stain it, especially walking back and forth through it. That's a lot of paint to razor blade off.

Sure you will be an expert next time someone asks about how to remove paint from glass in the future.

astro8

Use a scraper with a good long handle and that can take the boxcutter blades. Keep turning the scraper over to use the other side of the blade as you are scraping as it self sharpens on the glass. Only scrape an inch or two width of the paint until you get used to the right angle and the force you can use, then you can start increasing the width and length of the scrape. After you have scraped off most the paint and there is usually a thin cloudy stripey film remaining. You can then spray with windex and keep scraping until it's perfectly clean.

Don't use too much force at the start.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Update:

I used Windex and it comes off OK. Better with brake cleaner. It doesn't disolve or liquify or anything. Takes about the same amount of time to "clean up" the paint chips as it does scraping, but really not that hard. It's coming off like the video I posted from that guy.

signbrad

When I used to do a lot of fluorescent window splashes, I used sprayable paint stripper to remove old graphics. It was thin and came with its own sprayer. I always made a "rain gutter" of kraft paper that I taped below the graphics. I could catch the entire mess and simply roll it up in the paper, leaving landscaping, bushes, planters and window sills spotless.
I have also scraped without stripper, but still used something to wet the glass. I almost never scraped dry. This not only kept flakes and dust from flying everywhere but lubricated the blade, which keeps it from scratching the glass.
Also, I always laid my fluorescent colors on top of a flat white latex base, which helped with removal—the latex didn't bond as well to the glass like oil paint does. Back in the 90s, it was not uncommon to scrap and letter the windows of the same car dealership or Taco Bell five or six times.

I have not seen the sprayable paint stripper for a while, though I haven't looked for it. It may not be available any longer.

Brad in Kansas City

d fleming

I read a while back that the old timers would use oven cleaning spray to remove sign paint, even off cars....
anyone here try that?
It could damage paint on vehicles very easily but it does work. Old and I mean old trick. On glass it's not so much of a big deal. Personally I would use the thinner, newspaper, razor and elbow grease.

Sometimes I use the liquid in the waist ink tank to soften up the residue and paint on the glass. It work like charm.

Southpaw1

Did not work for me.... only burned my arm on the over-spray.
That's what sleeves and rubber gloves are for! I'm taking off paint that's been on Windows for 10 years with oven cleaner and a razor blade scraper! Put a tank top on and head over, I have some welding to do!