• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing Cracked reflective from aluminum

klemgraphics

I have to give a rough quote on a job that will require removal of some probably 20 year old reflective from some 12"x15' aluminum extrusions. Just wondering what the best(quickest) way to do that would be? I was thinking possibly aircraft stripper? The signs will be recovered in reflective once cleaned.

strypguy

I have a very similar job but with cracked brushed aluminum vinyl on an aluminum tanker. I have two areas 30" x 60".

Haven't actually tried this yet but Klean-Strip has a stripper in a spray can. Called aircraft decal and adhesive remover.Saysit works on cured auto finishes, glass, chrome, and metal bumpers.

I'm going to try this next week so I may not be much help right now.

If it helps enough so I can scrape it off easier I'll be happy.

John

The LAB

I tried a bunch of stuff on a similar job and brake fluid worked best because it didn't evaporate like thinner

Techman

They have already tried this, all it did was take the lifted edges around the cracks off.

I have yet to see this fail.
You cannot use the commercial car wash though. You must use a real pressure washer. Hot ones work even faster.