• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing old lettering from acrylic, Tips?

J

john1

Hey guys, I have a quote to do that is for a shopping center. The pylon has the old business who was there before's info and the guy who just moved in wants to strip it and re-letter. Normally i would just recommend new faces but that's not a option with this customer due to a low budget.

The acrylic is pretty white, I did a sign on the same pylon a year ago and it looks comparable and not yellow. I know there will be some ghosting.

It's going to be chilly, it's about 48ish in the day around here lately and i will be getting on a ladder removing the vinyl from 2 60x30" panels.

What do you guys think would be the best way to remove the old stuff the easiest, I know rapid remover for adhesive but would vinyl off and or just a heat gun to the trick? Asking due to the chilly weather i am not sure what would work best.

Landlord doesn't want the panels removed and a hole to be present so they are gonna stay up and get stripped.

Thanks!

visual800

First off you are already doing him a favor by stripping them, dont let him "run the whole show" and tell you NOT to remove them also, he will get over a hole very quickly

Frst off to strip acrylic I like them to be laying down flat. I would also prefer to work in heat. As far as stripping I use a razor scraper, alcohol and finish it up with rapid remover if necessary. make sure you run the scraper on glass first to dull out the edges

signage

Who runs your business?

Sounds like your customer, he's telling you his budget, then telling you how he wants it done.

DizzyMarkus

I have had a few of those -- alos had great results explaining the pros and cons of "his way" and "my way" My Way usually saving them some money :0) I guess its all in how you word (work) something.

Markus

Craig Sjoquist

Well my guess at info provided it is not painted.

If vy-nal use a wall paper remover steam works wonders on this & plastic squeegee.
Graco sells one for $50 about excellent machine.

If paint you must remove cause ya need it flat anything you use will affect what is under.

Drip Dry

Do you think it's any cheaper to strip the old one rather than to replace it.
Consider the time it will take you to climb up in the cold for at least an hour (probably more) How much would you charge to do it. Remember, you have 2 sides to do.
Consider buying one sheet of 5 x 10 plexi for under 200.00.
I would think you would charge very close to the 200. to remove it, and you would not only have an easy job for yourself and it would look a lot nicer.

If the customer thinks he's going to save by having you remove it, then charge him the cost of the plexi to remove it. Replace it with new and don't tell him. He'll be happy because he thinks he saved something and you'll be happy because you won't have to remove it.

Another option: have him climb up and remove it. You letter it when he's done. After he removes it, he'll never ask anyone else to do it again

HulkSmash

Don't care what he wants. I would remove it, take it back to my shop, and strip and apply the new vinyl there.

Techman

New sheets or don't do it.

Sure save a few bucks and spned the time to strip the old panels.. And then in a few months when the old letters ghost through you will get the blame for a rotten job.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
The labor cost for stripping the old vinyl and adhesive would be about the same for new panels. I'd replace the panels.