• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing Signs That Have Been Attached With Vhb

Doc Zoom

Doc Zoom
Anyone have any tips or tricks for removing sign panels that have been stuck down with VHB?
We just installed some high end zinc etched signs on some really expensive doors and they decided they want them mounted to the wall next to the doors. Whats the best way to get these off without damaging these high dollar doors?
Thank you!

d fleming

Check rapid remover in an inconspicous place to make sure it does not damage finish. If good, soak, wait, pull and clean.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Dental floss works real good. Short of that, in your case, try a flame thrower.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Fishing Line...

I'm assuming these are door ID signs... are they ADA compliant?

You know there is a code requirement on where they are placed...

sign placement-2.jpeg
sign placement.jpeg

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Fishing Line...

I'm assuming these are door ID signs... are they ADA compliant?

You know there is a code requirement on where they are placed...

View attachment 127926 View attachment 127927
That's always a fun discussion- because the customers never seem to grasp that there are only very specific instances where ADA signs may be attached to doors (no matter how many time you read the related section of the ADA guidelines to them).

Moze

Precision Sign Services
If there's a concern about damaging the surface, I start with 250 pound Kevlar line (<link). That usually does the trick.

If it doesn't, try a thin, flexible 4" putty knife. Surround the sign with masking tape on the wall so the blade and handle don't scrape the wall.

SignosaurusRex

Which brand and series of VHB did you use?

With all due respect... this issue is something you should have worked out before having installed them to begin with ...unless you expected to install with a "Hit it & forget it" attitude.

ams

Anyone have any tips or tricks for removing sign panels that have been stuck down with VHB?
We just installed some high end zinc etched signs on some really expensive doors and they decided they want them mounted to the wall next to the doors. Whats the best way to get these off without damaging these high dollar doors?
Thank you!

Use piano wire

Doc Zoom

Doc Zoom
YS%20A_zpsaiagiv5e.jpg
YS%20B_zpshwaxdo8r.jpg

Here's what they look like. I just got some 30# fishing line and some nylon emblem removal tools. This place is 50 miles from nowhere so extra trips to the hardware store aren't an option! Just need lots of ideas so I can take them with me! Thanks everyone!

Doc Zoom

Doc Zoom
Which brand and series of VHB did you use?

With all due respect... this issue is something you should have worked out before having installed them to begin with ...unless you expected to install with a "Hit it & forget it" attitude.
We double checked with the architect and he gave us his blessing. The higher ups over rode him. Their paying me to go back and change them out, I just don't want to damage these expensive doors! Thanks for your help!

Doc Zoom

Doc Zoom
If there's a concern about damaging the surface, I start with 250 pound Kevlar line (<link). That usually does the trick.

If it doesn't, try a thin, flexible 4" putty knife. Surround the sign with masking tape on the wall so the blade and handle don't scrape the wall.
Just ordered some! Thanks for the great advise!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
We double checked with the architect and he gave us his blessing. The higher ups over rode him. Their paying me to go back and change them out, I just don't want to damage these expensive doors! Thanks for your help!

Tell them up front that you'll do the absolute best that you can but you cannot guarantee that the doors will remain unscathed. If that is unacceptable to them then tell them to make their own more satisfactory arrangements to have them removed.

Doc Zoom

Doc Zoom
Tell them up front that you'll do the absolute best that you can but you cannot guarantee that the doors will remain unscathed. If that is unacceptable to them then tell them to make their own more satisfactory arrangements to have them removed.
I'm definitely covering my butt and doing this! Thanks for the wisdom!

• Agree
Reactions: Bly