• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing Vinyl with Scraper Blades

Stuckup

Seems the Hissy fit Rant name calling Tantrum is over.

Other Methods are

- a Steamer
- Plastic Razor Blades or Scrapers.
- Boiling Water
- Removal Wheel for a drill, or Vinyl Zapper. ( test first as some wheels can discolour Paint especially when paint is oxidised )
- Heat Gun
- Hot Water blaster, but be careful, wrong angle or too close can strip Paint.

I use mostly the steamer, but for some circumstances I will use the Blades.

* Paint Adhesion to Vehicle is poor and paint has/may lift When vinyl is peeled off Dodgy Paint jobs.

* On Interior Painted office walls etc, Where peeling off letters with heat is Likely to Remove the paint. I prefer not to fill and sand walls and then have to repaint. Also to Remove any obvious Lumps in the Paint before prints are installed Otherwise they will detract from the finished Job.

* On Large Old Truck sides, eg fibreglass where the signage is so old and the Surface is in poor condition, then clean and install the prints.

* On Old Magnetic signs or even Chrome that has been forever on the vehicle and have welded themselves to the Surface. If it saves a Paint Repair shop bill before a wrap the Customer always will be happy.

* Strip flaking paint off Metal Faces then signage can be installed.

JoshLoring

Or you can just spray reflective off from fellers onto the cracked vinyl.. It turns it to mush and comes right off with a chizler.
Seriously. I've used it on chrome vinyl that was baked and cracked on old semi truck doors. Makes it come right off.

Stuckup

Or you can just spray reflective off from fellers onto the cracked vinyl.. It turns it to mush and comes right off with a chizler.
Seriously. I've used it on chrome vinyl that was baked and cracked on old semi truck doors. Makes it come right off.

I will Look around for it here. Thanks, Ill try it.

S'N'S

I had a job of signing both doors on a truck that as soon as I saw the paint work, I told the owner it was up to him to remove the old vinyl, as the paint job was just a blow over. I suggested the usual methods and he rang me next day to come and have a look as the vinyl was peeling the paint off. We couldn't use ANY heat or even a MBX and ended up using the same idea as yours with the blade, never even marked the crap paint job, clean up with metho and slapped on the new signs. ( he had to get the door he stuffed touched up) If your careful, it does work.

slipperyfrog

More great advice..

BTW, carbon steel blades will scratch glass, tempered or not. Stainless steel blades will not without a LOT of pressure.

This is the most important advice given in this thread regardless of what method you think is the best with razors. First thing a window tinter does with his new knives...throw out the carbon steel blades that came with them.

Stuckup

Slippery, 100% correct, as also the negatives from the detractors, I would say blades for removal would be for 1% to 5% removal jobs. But it is an option. Hopefully this thread makes people think. I am a super confident EGO-low Maniac, and those a-holes that bagged me, well?. Who these days say what they actually think?

OldPaint

now that you all are done trashing each others methods for removing vinyl on windshield or paint,
REREAD MY EARLIER POST..........AND BUY A COUPLE!!!!

you need to go find a couple of these. buy em 5-6 at a time. the razor end, is at the perfect angle whe you set it down and allow the tail end of the handle to also rest on the windshield or whatever surface your trying to remove vinyl. just push this scrapper along the edge of the vinyl at an angle and the vinyl & GLUE will roll right off. google STANLEY 28-593 or ask your hardware store to order or go online and get 6.