• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Repainting mailboxes?

SignProPlus-Chip

We do a LOT of custom mailboxes for a local community. The plain black boxes have to be repainted in their colors. The clincher is it HAS to be a specific paint and it's latex only.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on what the best prep, primers and are for a durable finish. I typically rough the box up with some sandpaper or a scotchbrite pad, but good adhesion seems to be hit or miss.

So I am open to new ideas.

OldPaint

latex on metal??? why??? cant find a spray can close? if you got spray equipment, go to NAPA with the color of that paint and they can match it in an AUTOMOTIVE ACYLIC ENAMEL. will last a 100 times longer.

visual800

latex on metal? SURE. scuff the surface and then coat with 2 part epoxy and then spray latex on that, I would suggest a semigloss or stain ext.

and as OP stated, Want it to last longer? paint with basecoat clearcoat. I did my moms mailbox 10 years ago and placed vinyl graphics on it, cleared over it and it still looks great.

factory paint jobs are absolute bottom of the barrel crap. This is shy mailboxes fail, aluminum sheeting will oxidize in no time flat. A little extra help would carry both many years past what they were expected to

Jillbeans

I would definitely try to match automotive paint to their color.
I think you're just asking for trouble otherwise with latex paint.
Love....jill

rjssigns

If I was doing a ton of them I would talk to my pals at the body shop, or the powder coat shop that does projects for me.

If you are going to do it yourself start with an epoxy primer or Sherwin-Williams latest direct to metal primer after you get rid of whatever is on them first.

Putting top tier materials on a bad base will lead to failures. Do it right do it once.

S-W's direct to metal is the bomb. Got to shoot some. Impressive.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand why if this is an on-going customer, why suddenly you want to change what you've been doing so far ??

Anyway, a product called liquid sand..... all you do is paint it with a brush or spray it on and put whatever paint on top before it completely dries. It has a certain window of time and if you're too early it won't work and if you're too late.... again, it won't work. Once you get the knack of it, it's a great product. It's a little like sizing..... it depends on the climate, air conditions and such..... for proper adhesion times.

SignProPlus-Chip

I don't make up the rules...so I don't know

Why not just "wrap" the mailbox in vinyl printed on a latex printer?

Because it HAS to be painted, Specifically the boxes have to match the posts they are attached to as well as the other surround posts, signs etc... painted in their "trade" colors.

I don't understand why if this is an on-going customer, why suddenly you want to change what you've been doing so far ??

Because sanding mailboxes is a time consuming PITA, and I am looking for other options. Also the residents names are vinyled onto the side of the boxes...I have had issues with the latex holding just fine, but failing when performing a name change on the box.

Just looking to build a better mousetrap at this point.

Krylon used to make a line of epoxy primers and paints. Years ago I would use these on metals all the time...primer, with latex then the clear...ROCK solid paint....use to have to grind it off it held so well. Best part, no prepping, just make sure the surface was clean and free of grease. The epoxy primer would bit right into raw metal, existing paint or powder coating.

Si Allen

Your problem is that latex does not bond to oil based paint very well ... but will bond to a good primer!

So .............. scuff, use an oil based primer ... then paint with latex!

signguy 55

Because it HAS to be painted, Specifically the boxes have to match the posts they are attached to as well as the other surround posts, signs etc... painted in their "trade" colors.

Guys, he's evidently doing work in Hilton Head, SC. Home of the most restrictive sign codes in the country and proud of it. They made Red Roof Inns paint their roof green instead of red several years back.

If I had to depend on painting mailboxes to make a living, just shoot me and put me out of my misery.

SignProPlus-Chip

Matthews Paint. Can custom mix 75k colors. I'm sure one would match.

LOL...if I could ever get a rep to call me back, that would be great. Tried contacting them to procure a mixing station months ago...never got anywhere with them. There was a rep that was actually supposed to show up one day, but we never saw him.

I can only yell "take my money!" at people for so long before I get bored and walk away.

SignProPlus-Chip

Guys, he's evidently doing work in Hilton Head, SC. Home of the most restrictive sign codes in the country and proud of it. They made Red Roof Inns paint their roof green instead of red several years back.

If I had to depend on painting mailboxes to make a living, just shoot me and put me out of my misery.

BINGO! HH for the win.

If these were standard boxes, so would I, but they are pretty good money, and we are basically the signage provider for the entire community...so the boxes are part of the deal.

qmr55

Thanks...I swear by this stuff normally, but the issue is them having to strip the entire box down to bare steel first, then use this, then paint.

I'm just thinking there isn't an easier way than what we are doing now....All options seems to be equally laborious.

Sandblast?