• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Repeat Serial Numbers in Illustrator?

dlndesign

I am doing a few thousand of consecutive numbered decals. I would like to know if this can be done in illustrator with the use of excel if possible. I need to have one set vertical and a smaller horizontal version on the same decal. Anyone know how?

qmr55

Are you looking to have it type the numbers automatically so you don't need to manually type each one?

ucmj22

I know that you can set up variable data fields in your document using a special roland spot color, and then create a CSV file using excel which can be loaded in to versaworks to automagically fill those fields with the data in the CSV.

petepaz

I know that you can set up variable data fields in your document using a special roland spot color, and then create a CSV file using excel which can be loaded in to versaworks to automagically fill those fields with the data in the CSV.

would like to know how to do that one. it would come in handy.
i have another program (sign engine) that doesn consec. numbering so i import the artwork and set the numbers then export and import into versaworks but if i could set it up right from illust. to versaworks that would be great

ucmj22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFZ5qqrmuIA this is in corel, but im sure the process is the same. In the design program, all you are doing, is assigning a spot color stroke to a box that versa works will recognize as a field it can add information to. you can add images or text, and can edit the font and color of text within versa.

dlndesign

yes I do, what is the tool I would be looking for. Having multiple options to do this is very helpful.

Custom_Grafx

I usually work in the hundreds, not thousands, but find that doing the data in excel, then copy/pasting into either corel or illy works for me.

After you paste, select text only via menu command, then inverse select to select only the boxes and lines that will come across, delete, then you are left with text only.

Tip, when dealing with more than say 50 or so, pre split your stuff into columns of 30 or so in excel, and bring them over as columns, just easier to work with.

1. Centre align your top text to the top rectangle or whatever your label shape is.
2. Do the same to the bottom one.
3. Select all your label shapes, distribute evenly across selection.
4. Select all the text in that column, and do a distribute evenly across selection.

I love illustrator but to be honest for this particular function, Corel is way faster and easier to use for me, and being able to so easily work with multipage in Corel is a huge advantage when you run out of room. Yes, you can multipage in Illy, but my personal preference for this particular type of work is corel... it's a little more user friendly (for my laser engraver in particular... Roland, not such a big diff maybe).

signswi

+10000 for InDesign

Use all the tools in the designer toolbox. Being married just to Illustrator is a (common) mistake.

dlndesign

Ok, new issue. When I export as pdf to send to VersaWorks, I get it to 100% and the whole program shuts down. Any suggestions? I have tried breaking it down to lower qty (500) and have the same issue. Is there a specific way to export?

dlndesign

Ok I think I may have a workaround, exporting all as eps, then repackaging them in pdf to keep down the upload time of putting them in individually... any other way out there?

Kevin-shopVOX

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
VersaWorks does support variable data field printing. Unfortunately there is one "gotcha" I really don't like about it:

Most typefaces default to column spacing for the numerals. Column spacing looks TERRIBLE unless you're setting a lot of numerals in columns. I hate looking at badly spaced numerals. Anything with one or more numeral ones in it can look especially atrocious. And we're in a year that has that (2011).

Excel has nothing for settings on controlling numeral spacing. VersaWorks is a software-based RIP, not really a design tool.

InDesign has numerous settings to override many of the default spacing settings built into typefaces, including the column spacing set for numerals. This can be handy to make numeral spacing in numbers look a LOT better.

Kevin-shopVOX

VersaWorks does support variable data field printing. Unfortunately there is one "gotcha" I really don't like about it:

Most typefaces default to column spacing for the numerals. Column spacing looks TERRIBLE unless you're setting a lot of numerals in columns. I hate looking at badly spaced numerals. Anything with one or more numeral ones in it can look especially atrocious. And we're in a year that has that (2011).

Excel has nothing for settings on controlling numeral spacing. VersaWorks is a software-based RIP, not really a design tool.

InDesign has numerous settings to override many of the default spacing settings built into typefaces, including the column spacing set for numerals. This can be handy to make numeral spacing in numbers look a LOT better.

True